Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by FC View Post
    Hi Wright,
    I have no experience in trading or shipping. I can get the shop name and contact for you if you need. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Hi Ron,
    I have done the first planting, see below. Now, I am lost what to do next.

More photos...

The S$8 filter has skimmer (located at upper part of the inlet tube) that actually works beautifully!

The lamp I got is powered by electronic ballast

Hi FC,

May I know where you get your hang-on-filter with skimmer. I am looking to get 1 too.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Small Low Tech Tanks

The brand is "Sun". I bought it at Colourful, it should be available in any well stocked shops.

The box does not impress but I find it is well designed - compact, right flow rate vs filter media volume, quiet and low consumption (3 watts). Ideal for nano tanks up to 30 litres.

Tips: The original filter sponge comes with any such cheap overhang filter is a little small. Replace it and stuff the filter compact fully with new filter sponge.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Tank rescaped for lazier me. It is now near no-maintenance... :-)

No CO2 but amusingly, the plants bubbles after mix of fertilizers were injected into substrate.

Last edited by FC; 21st Feb 2009 at 11:24.

Feedback Score
    Country
    England

Simple tank yes, but i think its lacks a focal point. Such as a piece of wood placed nicely, or maybe a stone/rock or two? Certainly maintenance free though
    Verminator

Aquatic fanatic and keen learner of aquascaping

The canvas is what you make it...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thank you for your comments! I cannot agree with you more I am not good in woods and rocks, and algaes like to grow on them. From my past aquascapes, I found that I like space and this one is no exception. I hope when the plants mature (take months) they will turn up a little wilder and natural.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hi, where to get the light?
    brand?
    thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

simple but nice...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi may i know where to get the filter and light? thanks

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

hi nice tank i like your japanese hairgrass.. i don't seem to have the luck in growing that. anyway IMHO you should tie the narrow leave java fern to wood rather than stick it into the substrate. they need something to cling on..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Not that the current tank is less interesting... but I really like your first tank with moss growing on the bark wall... it's so beautiful!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Will the ferns grow too big for your tank? I have seen some grow to 20cm
    Regards
    William

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hi,how does ur hairgrass grow so healthy w/o co2? can share ur fert. recipe?tanxs!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thank you everyone for your valuable comments and suggestions.

William, you are right, the NLJFs are stretching out. I hope putting them far back corner will provide space. When the NLJFs grow bushy, I hope to see their talent in emitting illusion of depth, foresty and cooling atmosphere. It give me a sense that the fishes feel at home there.

A4SU (Aiming for S'pore Uni?), I observed hairglass for sometime. They like soft soils. I guess the roots are created to thrive in them. I experimented and discovered that they also need highlight. They will stay stagnant or infact herbinate state when deprive of the right light intensity. Currently, I have 18 watts but I observed that they are asking for 24 watts now. As for fert, I inject liquid fertilisers (self-made) because I found that the ADA soil is rather fert-free although it does a good job in providing good foundation for healthy root growth.
    Last edited by FC; 27th Mar 2009 at 11:16.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Fred, do you know the brand of the tank? I know ocean free and some others exist but I can't pin point the brand that comes with the glass cover. I agree with the others, it needs some wood or rocks for the java fern to grow on and hairgrass to grow around to create some depth. Cheers

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thank you everyone for your valuable comments and suggestions.

William, you are right, the NLJFs are stretching out. I hope putting them far back corner will provide space. When the NLJFs grow bushy, I hope to see their talent in emitting illusion of depth, foresty and cooling atmosphere. It give me a sense that the fishes feel at home there.

A4SU (Aiming for S'pore Uni?), I observed hairglass for sometime. They like soft soils. I guess the roots are created to thrive in them. I experimented and discovered that they also need highlight. They will stay stagnant or infact herbinate state when deprive of the right light intensity. Currently, I have 18 watts but I observed that they are asking for 24 watts now. As for fert, I inject liquid fertilisers (self-made) because I found that the ADA soil is rather fert-free although it does a good job in providing good foundation for healthy root growth.
    Hi Fred,tanxs for sharing ur knowledge.i m using 18w currently with co2 injection,some of my hairgrass actually brown off.....btw A4SU(asking 4 some understanding?)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Smaragd,
    I do not know the brand of the tank, I bought it at Nature Aquarium. The base was supported with white shallow paper tray that has tank's dimensions printed. It is certainly not ocean free.
    Yes, I absolutely agree that planted tank needs some wood or rocks to enhance scaping. Ok, I will pickup my lazy bones and get wood for the java fern to grow on. Cheers!

A4su,
    I too experienced browning hairgrass, they response and recover quickly after I inject fert into the soil. I need to do this every month to keep them going. Perhaps they are fert hungry plant?
    This non-CO2 tank is 40x25x26cm and it is fun and needs little maintenance. What's your tank size?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

A4su,
    I too experienced browning hairgrass, they response and recover quickly after I inject fert into the soil. I need to do this every month to keep them going. Perhaps they are fert hungry plant?
    This non-CO2 tank is 40x25x26cm and it is fun and needs little maintenance. What's your tank size?
    i am trying to dose some liquid fert too,but cant dose 2much coz have some shrimps in the tank.My tank size is 30x30x30cm.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

[QUOTE=FC;443734]Smaragd,
    I do not know the brand of the tank, I bought it at Nature Aquarium. The base was supported with white shallow paper tray that has tank's dimensions printed. It is certainly not ocean free.
    Yes, I absolutely agree that planted tank needs some wood or rocks to enhance scaping. Ok, I will pickup my lazy bones and get wood for the java fern to grow on. Cheers!

Noted. I'm going to create another tank around the same size. Even have the same filter.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

how to make diy ferts?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I mixed traces (any brand) with self-mixed macros (similar to EI method).

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast