Country
    Canada

Smelly transparent slime

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Folks,

I'm getting pretty miffed here. I've never seen/ encountered a problem like this before. In one of my aquariums I have this smelly, transparent slime that is covering everything and I can't seem to get rid of it. It smells like an old wet towel thats been left to sit in a dark and damp place for months! I did a 50% water change which temporarily made the smell go away but just a few hours later it came back!! What makes it worse is that I can smell it from across the room! Some input would be appreciated.

Tank set up: 15 gallon tank. Hydor prime 10 canister filter with eheim pro filter media, Chiller, and UV filter. Water passes through UV filter last before returning to the aquarium.

Animals in tank: 1 Pair of Betta Macrostoma - Thats all - HONEST!

Plants in tank: Bolbotis on Driftwood, different mosses on driftwood, mini pellia on wood.

Tank is old; filter is new (about 3 weeks on system now).

HEEELLLLLPPPPPP!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Does it appear mainly at the bottom of your tank? If it does, think I've got it before but am not sure what its called. For one, your BB has not really settle in yet (considering that filter is only 3wks old). Secondly, give your base more circulation and it'll disappear on its own.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Canada
    It's EVERYWHERE. Not so much on the bottom though. But lots of it on the sides of the tank (vertical surfaces), on every surface of the plants and drift wood etc... the circulation in the tank is very good. I also have an external eheim hobby pump to 'push' the water from the chiller to the hydor filter.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    This is probably due to overfeeding
    Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, Today is a gift...
    That's why it's called the present.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Canada
    Regularly, I feed them once every 2 days. Just a bit at a time. As soon as they start losing interest in the food I stop the feeding. I will admit though about a month ago (before the new filter was added) I accidentally spilled extra food into the tank and had no time to clean it up for more than a week. But since then, water changes have been made and a new filter added. Now this is happening and the tank just started smelling really bad just a few days ago. What the heck??

Should I move my two fish out of the tank and temporarily place them in a large bucket till the situation improves?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I believe it's the same thing that happens when you place new wood into a tank, the bacteria just blooms and there's the white slimy stuff. Remove most of it if it bothers you and just wait it out.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Canada
    Hmmm. Could be; except that the plants and wood have been in the tank since day 1. Even before the fish came in. Fish went in a few weeks later and for a while things were ok. But back then I was Honestly weird things started happening when I was experimenting with garden peatmoss placed in the tank (in net type bags) to lower the ph.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes, it is like when you place a new piece of wood into a tank, its surface is "virgin" and it isn't wet/colonised by bacteria yet, therefore causing the bloom and the white slime. Then again take it with a pinch of salt as there are a 101 factors that can cause that white slime.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Canada
    Hmm. K. Though the slime is actually transparent in my tank's case, and I'm still at square 1. No clue to how to improve the situation.