Country
    Singapore

Large OHF on a 1FT Tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi there,

new to this hobby, would like to seek some advice on an OHF that I have thats quite too powerful for the tank.

I already have 1ft cube tank nano setup rearing shrimps and some enders/neons. Being a beginner, i got this from the marketplace and it has everything in one set, including GEX soil, small eheim pump and a small DAZ single bulb light.

Recently my dad showed me a 5W Jebo OHF that produces 450L/H that he bought sometime back. I tried the filter on the setup, but found the waterfall generated was way too strong, churning up the soil even at the lowest setting. (abt water flow that penetrates 6-7inches of water, churns up the soil and makes the shrimps go "Weeeeeeee!!!")

I'm interested to replace the older OHF with this. Questions are,

1) is the filter appropriate for the 1ft setup?
    2) if it is, how can i reduce the impact of the "waterfall"?

Hope I've provided sufficient info..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It's already pretty obvious that your current OHF is too strong for the setup.

Go for an OHF that is about 300L/H or lower like the Whirlpool HOF 280 or Whirlpool HOF 150. These are more appropriate for 1ft setups and provide good water flow.
    Last edited by Mizu World; 13th Dec 2008 at 10:06.
    Mizu World - Understanding your Aquatic Needs
    Web: http://www.mizuworld.com Email: [email protected] Contact: +6597857957 (Ben)

Distributor of

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm setting up 2 x 1fts shortly and personally I went for the 80.You'd want good flow but not too strong a flow either.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I see, thanks for the tip.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi, what I used to do in the past with OHFs is to try & fill up the compartment(box) with as much media as possible to reduce the outflow of water back into the tank [However I'd few occassions where the water seeped out from the compartment as too much media was added which inhibited the outflow - hence you may need to try & find the optimal amount of media to add to get your desired flowrate.]

Or, as some suggested, try to 'downgrade' to a OHF with a smaller flowrate. May be better for the fauna & flora also by doing so...

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for the friendly advice. I did notice in a LFS this shopowner actually used rocks and pebbles to "break" the strong water gushing into the tank. It created quite a nice "waterfall" feature within the tank setup. Was actually wondering if this technique is possible.

If it still doesn't work, I'll probably go back to a smaller filter. Any advice?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    theoretically, twink the intake tube of the pump to "n" shape, the higher the n the slower the output.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I suggest a Hang On Filter or get an Eden or Eden-like canister filter.

I apologize for not being able to give you a picture of it as the one I use is at work and I can't seem to find a picture of it. I paid SGD$25++ or something like that for it.

EDIT: https://www.aquariumsuppliesaustrali...2913_small.jpg
    Last edited by Loopy; 1st Jan 2009 at 21:00. Reason: Adding URL
    - Always Exceptions to the Rules -
    - Explain yourself thoroughly in the forums not just state the obvious -
    - Overkill is the best killing! -

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by beetlejuice403 View Post
    Hi, what I used to do in the past with OHFs is to try & fill up the compartment(box) with as much media as possible to reduce the outflow of water back into the tank [However I'd few occassions where the water seeped out from the compartment as too much media was added which inhibited the outflow - hence you may need to try & find the optimal amount of media to add to get your desired flowrate.]

Or, as some suggested, try to 'downgrade' to a OHF with a smaller flowrate. May be better for the fauna & flora also by doing so...

Cheers!
    Thanks, have followed your advice and tweeked the media in the OHF as well as another method.

1) Cut out a small piece of dishwashing scrub (the dark green dishwasher kinda scrub u use in the kitchen) and filter the water at the outlet area of the OHF, this raises the water level and overflows a little at the area that holds the inlet pipe, reducing force build-up of the water like a blow-off valve. End result is the water now trickles out in a consistent but sufficient flowrate, much like my existing small OHF.

2) Add more water to the tank so that it almost reaches the tip of the outlet area of the OHF. This reduces gravitational pull from water that would otherwise cause splashing if its lower.

Problem solved, thanks!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
    theoretically, twink the intake tube of the pump to "n" shape, the higher the n the slower the output.
    Uh, don't really understand what you meant by twink the intake tube to "N" shape.. would you have a pic to illustrate how this is done?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
    I suggest a Hang On Filter or get an Eden or Eden-like canister filter.

I apologize for not being able to give you a picture of it as the one I use is at work and I can't seem to find a picture of it. I paid SGD$25++ or something like that for it.

EDIT: https://www.aquariumsuppliesaustrali...2913_small.jpg
    Hi Loopy,

Thanks for the tip. Think I am gonna stick to my current setup at the moment cos i'm still new to the hobby and don't wish to invest more on the tank so soon. Thanks once again!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ecar0h View Post
    Thanks, have followed your advice and tweeked the media in the OHF as well as another method.

1) Cut out a small piece of dishwashing scrub (the dark green dishwasher kinda scrub u use in the kitchen) and filter the water at the outlet area of the OHF, this raises the water level and overflows a little at the area that holds the inlet pipe, reducing force build-up of the water like a blow-off valve. End result is the water now trickles out in a consistent but sufficient flowrate, much like my existing small OHF.

2) Add more water to the tank so that it almost reaches the tip of the outlet area of the OHF. This reduces gravitational pull from water that would otherwise cause splashing if its lower.

Problem solved, thanks!
    Dishwashing scrub ? You are aware 3M labels some of their scrubs as "Not suitable for Aquariums", having them intergrated into your filter system will cause problems for your fishes. Try and get those $1 sponges from LFS, may it be oceanfree, mika, or some taiwan brand will do just fine.

You can always adjust outflow by having it go through media or outlet slopes like those in GEX filter to reduce the downward flow. Dont meddle with the inflow pipes however.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I really have to second this. The dishwashing lining is not the healthiest of choices .

Just look for any white filter media as torque6 described. All the brands he he pointed out I have used and they are good choices. Do a DIY cutout.

Good luck buddy

Quote Originally Posted by torque6 View Post
    Dishwashing scrub ? You are aware 3M labels some of their scrubs as "Not suitable for Aquariums", having them intergrated into your filter system will cause problems for your fishes. Try and get those $1 sponges from LFS, may it be oceanfree, mika, or some taiwan brand will do just fine.

You can always adjust outflow by having it go through media or outlet slopes like those in GEX filter to reduce the downward flow. Dont meddle with the inflow pipes however.
    - Always Exceptions to the Rules -
    - Explain yourself thoroughly in the forums not just state the obvious -
    - Overkill is the best killing! -

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi, loopy,
    what i mean was that for a pump, output volume
    will reduce if water is draw / pushed to higher place.

so if we put a pump in a higher place (for dry pump to draw water from tank) or put the output tube higher (for underwater pump), the output flow will be reduced.

the theory is to make water travel to higher place to reduce output volume.

Quote Originally Posted by ecar0h View Post
    Uh, don't really understand what you meant by twink the intake tube to "N" shape.. would you have a pic to illustrate how this is done?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
    I really have to second this. The dishwashing lining is not the healthiest of choices .

Just look for any white filter media as torque6 described. All the brands he he pointed out I have used and they are good choices. Do a DIY cutout.

Good luck buddy
    Thanks for the tip. Will go look out for something more suitable.