Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Breeding wild discus

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I noticed quite a number of pple here have wild discus. Do you guys breed them or rather did they pair up and breed in your tanks?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi foxemty

unfortunately no in my case.....think to breed wild caught are much harder than their hybrid cousins....breeding PH for wild caught can be as low as PH of 5 if not wrong,.....i believe if their water conditions are met and with a little luck, they will breed.
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I once had a wild male discus and he breeds quite readily.
    I heard that lots of discus fans are trying to breed wild discus in order to come out with new strains.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hi fox, perharps we dun have such here

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi foxemty

i guess it is possible...as the current hybrid would have originated from their wild brethen...its the time commitment in breeding that I cannot afford
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    that's interesting .. wat stain is ur wild male got any pics to show us ^.^
    ----------------
    On 1/23/2002 1:16:33 PM

I once had a wild male discus and he breeds quite readily.
    I heard that lots of discus fans are trying to breed wild discus in order to come out with new strains.

----------------

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I believe he is a tefe but the female is a turquoise (domesticated). I did not managed to take any photos before I gave up my discus due to other committments.

Actually I read that except heckels, it is not that hard to breed wild discus. I might be wrong here. And I have seen F2 heckels too.Many pple are using wild discus not only to create new strain but also to strenghten their discus stock. Much like what many hobbyists are doing with other type of fish.

Yes, David. Alot of time and effort will be needed if one really want to breed them.

LeAnn, Have you seen this site www.wilddiscus.com. They have lots of nice pictures of wild discus.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    fox, perharps u like to drop by Gan, he has some great looking heckels.. ask LeAnn.. gian

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Simon,I had alway wanted to go down to Gan's lately but never had the time since they shifted But not really for the wild discus rather the wild apistos, plecos and cories

Anyway you guys who are interested in wild discus take a look at the site I mentioned if you have not. Take a look at the last few pictures of Xingu brown 4 at Xingu brown I am quite surprised at the colorations of these discus. And its truely wild discus. I almost wanted to get the wild discus from him the last time but the shipping cost is really too high.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Then u might wanna drop by Seng Bros.. they breed corys and have a few species up on sale

for wild discus, i like the Alenquer and Coari

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Fox are u also into Apisto? where do u stay? wht apisto do u have?
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi benetay,

Yup I "was" into apisto some years ago, 4 years ago i think. but had stopped keeping them for sometime. Reason is its really really hard to find apistos in spore. now more females apisto are appearing. a few years ago, its almost impossible to find any females. i tend to believe the reason is to prevent hobbyists from breeding.

Have kept a number of species but my fav is still cacatuoides, the most common around. I got my 1st 2 pairs from a fellow hobbyist who got his from oversea. I'm not keeping any at this moment but might get some in the near future, some wild ones, reason is they are more robust.[]

Are you new into apisto? if you are check out http://www.thekrib.com/Apisto/
    I believe this is still the best site for apisto info.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    YuP...i know tht webby by now...but i would like to have more info from u guys i mean self experience and tried.
    Cheers!

Benetay