Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

SOS: med for ich

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all, sorry, just want to know when will LFS open for biz, I saw some ich developing on some of my tetras and I don't have any med presently[] . can't add salt b'coz of my riccia too.

On the same breath, would appreciate it if anyone living near Sengkang/ Hougang/ AMK can offer me some med (as long as it's not Ocean Free) for the time being to help me tie over these few days. will pick up from you asap tomorrow. thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I don't think the salt level used as medication for ich would be a problem to your riccia as compared to medication sold in LFS which could well pose more harm.
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    anakin,

polyart in clementi is open even throughout the new year.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks Allen and Peter. will call aroundthe LFS to check too

Feedback Score
    What's wrong with Ocean Free solution? I just bought ocean free solution to treat white spot problem, but I have yet pour it in cos afraid of the blue bye colour staining my tank.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    what do you have in your tank presently?

the last time i used it, it killed or retarded the growth of almost all of my plants.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 2/4/2003 12:24:30 AM

what do you have in your tank presently?

the last time i used it, it killed or retarded the growth of almost all of my plants.
    ----------------
    I only got 1 type of plant but dun know the type of plant.
    I have got tetra, goldfish, skeleton fish, danid zebra, sucker fish and some other fish that I dun know the breed type.
    Btw, I isolated 4 red phantoms and 2 "san jian su" into a small tank. And poured in Ocean Free's white spot special solution yesterday, only realised all these fishes died this morning... So what should I do next to cleanse my main tank from white spots?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    forget about the ocean free med... most of us here have had bad experiences with ocean free meds and as such avoid using them unless we REALLY REALLY have to... for ICH, try something like sera's costapur which has given several forumers good results.

Alternatively, just use salt... a good 1 tbsp/5G dose will tackle the problem. and since you have so few plants, you could even try higher levels, though 1tbsp/5G should suffice.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Yup. I stand for Sera's Costapur. Cleared within 5 days with no bad effects on fish vitality and plants.
    -----------------------------
    Clarence Hoe

Feedback Score
    I too just had a horrible experience with ocean's free white spot med. The blue dye din noe so strong, then my plants couldn't photosynthesize enough to reduce the CO2 levels and so all my fishes this afternoon all gasping for air at the surface,even after i turned off my CO2 and lights at night.Plus i guess the medication and the high CO2 killed ALL my shrimp. found all 100 + malayn shrimp dead.looked like a massacre. Plus the dye stained my nissovolca soil to an ugly blueish shade. What i did today was take out all my fish and placed them into another small tank as hospital tank and added salt. i also added more salt into the planted tank,did 50% water change and raised the temp of the heater to 28 deg. left my otos and sae inside cos they did not get affectted by the white spots and now their my only form of control a algal outbreak. Noticed after the water change,the water is still abit cloudy,is this normal? Just a couple of question,how often should we add the salt for salt treatment? and will the stained gravel change back to brown after sometime? is it ok to leave my CO2 and lights on as per normal (8 hours) cos i just did some major rescaping,i guess the stress caused the white spots. i wanna leave the lights and all on cos dun want the newly planted plants to rot and die on me.[] []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    kubrich,

Sigh... its experiences like this that justify why I never recommend using ocean free products.

Basically if you have white spots your entire tank is affected and usually we do treatment in the main tank. Even though your SAE, and Oto show no signs of ICH, you still need to treat the tank. Since you already dosed the med, my first advise is to do a water change to dilute the med. Adding an air stone will also reduce the blue-ishnedd more. As for your volcanic soil... if its been absorbed... well I'm not sure what will help.

As for your hospital tank, you don't really need to do much with the temp as our weather here is hot enough... just dose your salt to 1tbsp/5G levels, and keep that way for 2 weeks. Avoid moving your fish around anymore as this will be stressful.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    pause a while
    it's not only ocean free
    any med that includes methylene blue/malachite green/kmn04 are potentially disastrous for your tank (not to mention YOU)
    so...
    you know, don't condemn the whole batch of ocean free products
    unless you've tried it, of course

Feedback Score
    if using salt to treat ich...roughly how long will it take before the ich clears up? assuming dossage is 1tbs/5 gals.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    anywhere from 2 weeks to 4 weeks ... usually 2 weeks will be enuff to kill the ich ... after that another 2 weeks juz to make sure ... this is what i searched and found out what most of the forumers here do [:]
    ... always look at the bright side of life

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 2/26/2003 9:26:01 AM

pause a while
    it's not only ocean free
    any med that includes methylene blue/malachite green/kmn04 are potentially disastrous for your tank (not to mention YOU)
    so...
    you know, don't condemn the whole batch of ocean free products
    unless you've tried it, of course
    ----------------
    For me, I've tried many ocean free products, and came to the conclusion that they were just not good... I actually think their dosing levels are wrong... Similarly after discussion with many people, who have tried the stuff, this just reinforces my views.

and yes... lots of fish meds are harmful to humans... e.g. malachite green is a stong carcinogen.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi guys,

Thanks for the tip on salt treatment from another thread. White spot completely eradicated and casualty rate; 1 dead red phantom and 1 Oto with fin rot and white fungus on its body.

Like to know if fungus and fin rot often follows after white spots? My guess is when the cyst ruptures from the body of those infected fishes, it leaves behind a wound, possible?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Fungus usually attack weakened fishes. These fishes may be wounded, sick(bacteria infection) or just unhealthy.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    BC,

Does it spread? Do you think I ought to remove that Oto?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Fungus are not so contagious. Should not run too high a risk.

Just note that fungus is usually a compound problem... ie, there is already something wrong with the fish before the fungus attack.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks BC.