Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Will different nerite snails cross breed?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Will different nerite snails cross breed?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Will different nerites snail cross breed? for example Clithon diadema (spiny nerites) and Neritina natalensis (zebra nerite)
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    I doubt they would as they are a different genus all together. Also you don't need to worry about breeding these snails in freshwater.

Regards,
    Last edited by mozaqua; 13th Jan 2009 at 03:21.
    * MoZ Aquatics
    * Contact person: Mosiah (Mo)
    * Telephone number(s): cell: 086-8844287
    * Business address: Sukhumvit 77Rd. Bangkok, Thailand 10250
    * Email: [email protected]

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yeah but I still hate the egg so as it should be ok to keep few at the same tank as long as from different genus
    Last edited by Quixotic; 8th Jan 2009 at 04:05. Reason: Remove immediate quote
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Robert, they are not known to breed in the aquaria because for most nerites, their offsprings go though a planktonic cycle at birth and require brackish water. So you should not be too worried on cross breeding.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think Robert is more concern if different species will 'get together' and start laying eggs all over the tank, which I guess, he's trying to avoid.

I am quite interested to know as well.
    - eric

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yup trying to avoid that. Currently I have Clithon diadema (spiny nerite) and Neritina natalensis (zebra nerite) from C328, let see whether they start lying an egg

Any other nerite beside these two that available in Singapore
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Just keep one of each, that's what I'm doing...
    Last edited by Quixotic; 9th Jan 2009 at 01:03. Reason: Remove immediate quote

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Haha... sorry, as it was rather late, I didn't spend time elaborating it. Let me expand on them, and try to cover all bases for the benefit of others.

I think the concerns when it come to snails can fall into the following:
    a. different species of nerites cross breeding, resulting in hybrids
    b. laying of unsightly eggs all over the tank
    c. population explosion of the snails, with them ending up as pests instead

As mentioned by cobalt99, they belong to different genera. So it is very unlikely that hybrids between genera (intergeneric hybrid) will occur naturally. However, I do not have in depth knowledge to say this with absolute certainty, as hybrids between family (interfamilial hybrid), although uncommon, do occur naturally (e.g. in gamebirds and domestic fowl).

I would say that the possibility of them cross breeding would seem to be very very low. This addresses point (a).

Nerite snails are gonochoristic, so they have distinct sexes individually (as opposed to hermaphrodite snails). You need two nerite snails (a male and a female) to reproduce.

If you are lucky to have only males, then point (b) and (c) would be moot and you will never see any eggs. But if you have females only, if I remember correctly, they will still lay eggs, whether fertilised or not (need to revisit some literature to confirm this). If eggs are unfertilised, then point (c) would be moot.

[Note 1: Also, I am not absolutely familiar with the reproduction strategies, but I imagine that there could be strategies in snails where sperm may be stored within them for long periods of time.]

If the eggs are fertilised and hatch, the offpsrings of most freshwater nerites go through a planktonic cycle. Under normal aquaria conditions, they will not survive as they require brackish water. So the scenario of population explosion will not occur. This addresses point (c).

[Note 2: There is emphasis on the word "most freshwater nerites" as some nerite species are said to breed exclusively in freshwater. I have so far only came across one reliable (IMO) of such species, Theodoxus fluviatilis as reported by Mike Noren (http://mikes-machine.mine.nu/Theodoxus_fluviatilis.htm). In the context of our LFS, I have never seen T. fluviatilis available before, and the ones that are available most certainly have a planktonic cycle (otherwise, reports of their reproduction would have been widely read).]

If I read it correctly, it seems that your concern is mostly with (b). So it is not so much a matter if they cross breed, but if you have female snails in your tank.

[Note 3: These are based on my interest and research. I am really not the authority on them, so by all means, feel free to correct me if I am incorrect on the mentioned points.]

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    I have the Clithodon spiny nerites in my tanks. They lay eggs along the edged of the glass normally, or on driftwood. They are difficult to see, and don't lay eggs very often (only after a major water change.) Also the eggs Do hatch in my tank, but they do not live very long! Not sure if they really need salt, or if they just cant find the right foods. Many people around here say they do not hatch in freshwater, I believe this is a false assumption.
    I am not sure if all nerites have only one sex also, it seems to me that any two put together you will get eggs eventually. Maybe they can change sexes, or are hermaphrodites? (oh, ability to store sperm also makes sense) But it seems, when I only have one to a tank, then No eggs!
    I would like to try breeding some, but it seems there is very little known about them, and most of what is "known" is just myth.

Regards,
    * MoZ Aquatics
    * Contact person: Mosiah (Mo)
    * Telephone number(s): cell: 086-8844287
    * Business address: Sukhumvit 77Rd. Bangkok, Thailand 10250
    * Email: [email protected]

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    any idea to differentiate their sexes? assuming it is not hermaphrodites
    How many different genus are there sell in Singapore?

According to wiki:
    Some freshwater snails, such as apple snails, and marine species, such as periwinkles, have separate sexes; they are male and female.
    not much nerites info on wiki though (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neritidae)
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    There exist very few literature elaborating on the specific species themselves (due to inadequate studies perhaps?). Most of them are generalised information on just nerite snails on a whole.

The taxonomy of these snails is quite confusing as well, identification may be incorrect, hence incorrect information maybe attached to the wrong snails. There may also be brackish water nerites being sold as freshwater snails.

There are a few of literature out in the Internet on nerites, which I found to be interesting. However, as there can be a lot of misinformation on the Internet and generalisations, it will depend on how much weight you put in them.

Here is a discussion thread from CONC-L, the Conchologists List, which in my personal opinion, has a lot of weight in it.
    http://www.listserv.uga.edu/cgi-bin/...conch-l&D=0#11 (Main discussion index)
    http://www.listserv.uga.edu/cgi-bin/...l&F=&S=&P=2130 (The second post which has the major information)

Robert, on your question, here is an article written by Julian Sprung in Advanced Aquarist, although it discusses marine/brackish nerites.
    http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...003/invert.htm

The article mentioned that the male has a penis and the female has an organ to store sperm. However, practically, it may be really difficult to tell as they may be hidden from our naked eyes.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Dominican Republic

Re: Will different nerite snails cross breed?

as the nerites have an internal fecundation, they may mate anywhere, but how do the eggs or the larvae reach brackish water when the parents are either freshwater animals or even almost terrestrial?
    I am doing some research on the origin of the vertebrates and get to the point where I need more data about the invertebrates such as nerite

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Don't forget to give us update on your research thank you
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Sorry, now a bit confused. Is this a "spiny nerite".....
    ??

Is it a Clithon diadema or a Clithon corona?

This website says "Clithon corona":
    http://www.planetinverts.com/horned_nerite_snail.html

Yeah, Shadow, i don't like the eggs too... now have a few on my tank glass.

So, two from the same "clithon" family will crossbreed, right? just like shrimps?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

more information is needed, as it is getting kinda hard to locate in most LFS. have to breed it myself.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    yup trying to avoid that. Currently I have Clithon diadema (spiny nerite) and Neritina natalensis (zebra nerite) from C328, let see whether they start lying an egg

Any other nerite beside these two that available in Singapore
    I have had a horned nerite and a zebra nerite for 4 months already. At first I didn't think they'd mate but I kept seeing tiny white eggs inside my tank (on my mesh and pebbles). Also, I kept having to remove small baby snails approx. 1mm ~ 2mm that were pinkish in colour, about 20 so far over the last 4 months.

Initially, I thought these snails came with my plants, but its been 4 months already and I kept having them in my tank. Some thing must be breeding them, right?

I've decided to let these baby snails grow and see if they are indeed the offsprings of my nerite snails. So far, the biggest one (approx. 3mm) seems to be developing the shape and colouration of my horned nerite. Will post a pic if they are indeed nerite offsprings.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

first time I heard nerite breed in fresh water, is it even possible?
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Can only confirm when the babies grow to be more distintive.

By the way, my water pH >7 as I'm also keeping Malayan shrimps and endlers. From what I've read, most bros here keep their pH<7, could it be the reason why their nerites aren't breeding or if they do, that the eggs aren't hatching? Just a guess.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

It's been awhile, but any updates on those baby snails? Can you confirm if they were indeed nerites skyluck2001?? I'm very interested to hear your results and thank you for sharing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk