Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Ghost shrimp crippled after molting?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Ghost shrimp crippled after molting?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, i have a "rescued" ghost shrimp in my shrimp tank. It's size is slightly smaller than 1.5inch but a giant among the other shrimps. It used to be active.

Yesterday morning saw it molting. Then it has become "crippled". It is still alive but having problem moving around. Looks like its 6 long legs are no longer working. The legs turned white, a different colour compared to its rest of the body, and some have broken too . Sad to see it like this. The other smaller legs for fanning looks ok. I need to put food right in front of it, because it has problem moving around and finding food (It used to stomp around and steal food!) And i think it's size has shrunk a bit, hunger?

What has happened to it? Will it survive?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I remember reading somewhere that shrimps turning white is due to copper sulfate in the water. But from your case i think that is not likely as some shrimp turns a bit white when they are ready to molt. So yours maybe recovering from the molt. But not moving legs, maybe some illness?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    can't be copper because if that's the case, then all smaller shrimps in the same tank (sakura, tigers, green) would have died. my ghost shrimp is still alive, although it has lost its legs - all 6 legs that turned white have broken off. no legs , but still want to steal food.
    hope the legs grow back? is this normal, losing legs after molting?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    its not normal to lose leg after moulting. If it turns white, its a indication that it is not healthy. If its only the leg, I'll presume something happened during the process of moulting and he broke his leg probably due to poor moulting or something like that.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Not sure what happened to it. Legless ghost shrimp still surviving with all the other dwarf shrimps in the tank. I hope the long legs grow back .
    It's moving around by using it's pincers and swimming (by fanning with it's small little legs -- are these legs by the way?)