Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Why Pencil fish alway stay below water surface?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Why Pencil fish alway stay below water surface?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Just added 15 golden pencil into my 4ft planted tank on Sat. No causalties yet but since yesterday about 5 of them are always staying constantly just below the water surface. One of them have swollen eye.

Other tank mates include 9 ottocat, 36 green neon, 17 golden tetra, 13 yamato.

tank is 6 mths old
    PH - 6.5, KH - 5, CO2 - 2 bps

Can anyone advice??

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    My golden pencilfishes always wait below the surface when i'm near the tank - Greedy buggers. My experience with golden pencilfishes is that they are extremely hardy. Prob is that they dun seem to touch any algae (at least my rocket-tail pencilfishes pick on them once in a while) and they keep pecking my hand when i'm maintaining my tank (have to be very careful not to injure them)

You mentioned that 1 of them have a swollen eye. Chances r that ur fishes r sick (your pH and KH looks fine though). Any signs of rapid breathing / reddening gills? Loss of colour?
    ThEoDoRe

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    From your pH/KH, your CO2 level seemed to be quite high. pH 6.5 and KH 5 makes the CO2 level to be about 48ppm!! Please check that again. If other fishes are not at the surface, probably it is a measuring error. The ideal pH for KH 5 is about 6.8. But if your test kit reads 0.5 intervals, maybe that's explain for the reading.

Check NO2 level too.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Theo,

There is no signs of rapid breathing / reddening gills, Loss of colour.

BC,

I'm using sera test kit, so don't think it is accurate as have to compare the result against the colour chart. So sometime a bit diffcult to judge whether it is 6-6.5 or 6.5-7

Can't re-call the actual NO2 and NO3 reading as I'm working now[]. Can only confirm it is on a safe level.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You mentioned that you fish have swollen eyes... opps... maybe "popeye" disease. My fish had it once... gone liao.

Can refer to Sera site. I found it quite helpful.

BC