Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Possible to quick switch to shrimp tank from fish tank?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Possible to quick switch to shrimp tank from fish tank?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Came home today and found disaster had struck my aquarium. The CO2 regulator had gone crazy and pumped in tonnes of CO2 into my planted tank. As a result, all my fishes were wiped out. Ok...nothing could be done about that. Now thinking of what else can I keep instead.

As I had a pair of anglefish in the tank, shrimps were out. So this is a chance I can switch to shrimp keeping. The tank is a 2ft 20gallon tank and I already had most systems in place namely a matured tank, a small internal filter, 3 tubes 2ft T5 lights, an Atman CF-800 canister filter, CO2 systems and a chiller. Also, the tank is heavily planted with crypt, an assortment of mosses, an amazon sword plant.

Playing with the idea if I can keep some assorted shrimps such as cherries, malayan, tiger and maybe a couple to CRS. And also have some small fishes such as neons or rummy nose. But I am not too sure about are fishes and really thick layer of plants at the bottom of the tank suitable for shrimps. I have a friend that tell me NO fishes and NO plants for shrimp tank. Is that true? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    It depends on your fish size. If the maximum size you have is like neon tetra size, it should be ok. Of course, the fish nature should not be fierce.

I'll advise you not to start with crs at the initial stage as they requires quite a few parameters. Since you said you have thick vegetation, shrimps that give birth to shrimplets might have a percentage that is smart enough to hid and survive from the fishes' mouth.

Shrimps and fish can go together, just that shrimplets do tend to get eaten until they are big. So the idea is possible, just that shrimp population would not expand tremedously.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    That's what happened to me last week. I wiped out 4 boraras, 1 oto and 30+ CRS and BDS.

Generally tetras are good hunters for shrimplets. Sufficient hiding place will increase the survival rate for them. If you want to have a good breeding rate, stick to otos. If not, any small fishes are ok.

Thick vegetation is good for the shrimps. But not good for viewing them. Checked out the compatibility chart that was posted before. Since you have a chiller, CRS will be good. Stick to less variety.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks guys for the replies. Maybe I would go for CRS and Cherries as red would show up better in the thick foliage. Would get some Oto first. Later see what other small fish to add in. I am not aiming for bleeding. A balance population control would be good.

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi

May I ask what kind of CO2 regulator (manual or electric) are you guys using?
    I spent quite a bit of money on my newly set up tank and have no intention of letting that kinda thing happen to me...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy4Shrimps View Post
    Hi

May I ask what kind of CO2 regulator (manual or electric) are you guys using?
    I spent quite a bit of money on my newly set up tank and have no intention of letting that kinda thing happen to me...
    I understand your concern but the sad truth is that anything can/will malfunction. I am sure we all spent a lot of time, effort and money into our tanks and sure do not hope such things happen but things do fail no matter how well built they are. The space shutter cost billions, having the best brains and technicians building and maintaining them under the strictest standards but it still exploded a couple of times.

Btw, I am using an electronic regulator.

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for sharing cairocks.
    My deepest symapathy for your fishes and shrimps.

Hmmm.... guess I will take a friend advise and remove the CO2 for good.
    Anyway I only have flame moss and some hairgrass so think should be okay without the CO2.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yea, I guess so. Fewer gadgets, fewer points of failure. I am still not too sure what happened to my regulator, give a a couple of knocks with my metal pincer and it seems to be functioning normally. Might consider removing the CO2 eventually since now I am concentrating mainly on shrimps and moss.

Most likely in front of the computer screen if the status is green.
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Another thing is that you might want to consider is the plant fertilizer. A fert with copper is harmful to shrimp.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by cheetf View Post
    Another thing is that you might want to consider is the plant fertilizer. A fert with copper is harmful to shrimp.
    Yup, I had just started a seperate thread about that earlier today. Noticed that it contain copper and stated "safe on fish". Humm...never says about shrimps.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by cairocks View Post
    Yup, I had just started a seperate thread about that earlier today. Noticed that it contain copper and stated "safe on fish". Humm...never says about shrimps.
    Whatever fert that you want to use for tanks with shrimp, I would recommend a 50% of recommended dosage same as medication. That is how I dose my medication when my fish caught white spot disease last time.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by cairocks View Post
    Came home today and found disaster had struck my aquarium. The CO2 regulator had gone crazy and pumped in tonnes of CO2 into my planted tank. As a result, all my fishes were wiped out. Ok...nothing could be done about that. Now thinking of what else can I keep instead.

As I had a pair of anglefish in the tank, shrimps were out. So this is a chance I can switch to shrimp keeping. The tank is a 2ft 20gallon tank and I already had most systems in place namely a matured tank, a small internal filter, 3 tubes 2ft T5 lights, an Atman CF-800 canister filter, CO2 systems and a chiller. Also, the tank is heavily planted with crypt, an assortment of mosses, an amazon sword plant.

Playing with the idea if I can keep some assorted shrimps such as cherries, malayan, tiger and maybe a couple to CRS. And also have some small fishes such as neons or rummy nose. But I am not too sure about are fishes and really thick layer of plants at the bottom of the tank suitable for shrimps. I have a friend that tell me NO fishes and NO plants for shrimp tank. Is that true? Thanks.
    I keep my shrimp(tiger, cherry, green, blue and CRS) with cardinal and tiger otos in a 2ft tank. Not an issue to keep them with plants and fish. In fact the populated vegetation gives them cover and places to explore. Most of them like to hide. Though cardinal might disturb the CRS, but they don't them so far. Maybe just curious with the white.

Don't try rummynose because they will chase the shrimp and cause stress to them. At least this was what I noticed when I got them in the shrimp tank. Their reproduction is also thwarted that time.

You are not using solenoid CO2 regulator, are you?

Do you intend to add a fan or chiller when you want to keep CRS?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have already put in some orange shrimps, a couple of CRS into the tank together with some mosquitoes resboras and otos. The orange shrimps are basically feeding all the time and quite and out in the open while the crs are rather timid. Noticed the resboras do not disturb the shrimps most of the time unless the crs tilt it's body that the tail is sticking up. Then the resboras seems to think the white part of the tail may be edible and start giving the crs little perks. Once the crs lowers down the tail, they leave it alone. Hope they don't get too stressed out by the naughty resboras.

As it is always a heavily planted tank, I already had a electronic solenoid CO2 regulator and chiller in place. Right now keeping the temperature between 24C and 26C.

Hi,
    one of the larger, 100% shrimp-safe fishes is Iriatherina werneri. Rasobara hengeli or R. espei are also good for shrimp tanks. Avoid any kind of tetras because the will try to feed on the shrimp when ever they can.

BTW, if you intent to keep various species, avoid mixing several Neocaridina species or color morphs. They easily cross-breed and the result are brown, grey or almost colorless hybrids. It's the same with Caridina cantonensis. so it's no good idea to keep CRS with tiger shrimps because the can cross-breed.

regards
    Robert

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for the tips. Certainly expanded the range of fishes I can add.