Country
    Singapore

Shrimp Newbie. Please advise!!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

Currently, I am preparing 2 tanks intending to rear shrimps. Currently still undergoing cycling process. I am very new to shrimps and have some questions to post.

1) After the cycling process, is it safe to add in the shrimps? Because I have seen alot of products in LFS with labels claiming to condition the tank suitable to rear shrimps. Like this brand Mosura. It has "Old sea Mud powder, Mineral Plus, and many other products.
    Do i have to add these in before my tank is ready for the shrimps?
    Or can I add them in after the cycling process?

2) What kind of shrimp food is better? those black pellet form, or those small whitish pieces that look like cornflake size.

3) Both my tanks are not covered, and I prefer to top up the tank until its almost full. Will shrimps like sakura and Crs jump out?

Please advise.. Thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    HI.. I'm new too. Started the hobby 6 months ago. These are some things i know;

1) What soil you using? Normally i will use Gex Soil. (green for plant/shrimp or red for shrimp) For extra items, they are up to you. For me, just throw in a old sea mud rock will do. The shrimplets will find food on the rock.

2) For food anything you can try but don't feed everyday. once every 2 days will do.

3) Normally they don't jump. Keep 1 inch up to the brim.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by yakie_19 View Post
    Hi,

Currently, I am preparing 2 tanks intending to rear shrimps. Currently still undergoing cycling process. I am very new to shrimps and have some questions to post.

1) After the cycling process, is it safe to add in the shrimps? Because I have seen alot of products in LFS with labels claiming to condition the tank suitable to rear shrimps. Like this brand Mosura. It has "Old sea Mud powder, Mineral Plus, and many other products.
    Do i have to add these in before my tank is ready for the shrimps?
    Or can I add them in after the cycling process?

2) What kind of shrimp food is better? those black pellet form, or those small whitish pieces that look like cornflake size.

3) Both my tanks are not covered, and I prefer to top up the tank until its almost full. Will shrimps like sakura and Crs jump out?

Please advise.. Thanks
    Hi yakie,

I'm rather new to shrimps too but here's my two cents worth:

1) For CRS (and I guess for most shrimps), cycled water is one of the most important factor when rearing shrimps as they are very susceptible to nitrites, nitrates and ammonia in the water.

2) Food wise, I bought pellets for my shrimps and i sometimes end up having to personally feed them using my pincers (which i must say is quite fun and meaningful). Probably thats because I've other fishes in my tank and they tend to not find the pellets in the mass of plants in my tank.

Also, if you have plants such as moss, it would be good as it is food to them and thus helps to ensure they don't starve. They eat dead leaves and mosses. I too don't always feed pellets everyday.

3) For your last qns, the answer really lies in question 1 and 2, whether you have created a good living environment for the shrimps. Make a home, they stay. Make a prison, and they will sure find a way to get out of it asap (whether by dying or jumping).

Hope this helps!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi lifestory,

thanks for the advice. I might consider adding an old sea mud rock in to stablise the tank further since many shrimp keepers do that too.
    But to be on the safe side, I will let both tanks cycle at least 2 months before adding any shrimps in. Not sure whether to keep CRS or sakura. SInce CRS needs cooler water, have to on my fan most of the time. But the evaporation rate is amazing! So need to think carefully.

Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by yakie_19 View Post
    Hi lifestory,

thanks for the advice. I might consider adding an old sea mud rock in to stablise the tank further since many shrimp keepers do that too.
    But to be on the safe side, I will let both tanks cycle at least 2 months before adding any shrimps in. Not sure whether to keep CRS or sakura. SInce CRS needs cooler water, have to on my fan most of the time. But the evaporation rate is amazing! So need to think carefully.

Thanks again.
    Why don't you kickstart with Sakura first? Water sensitivity and price-wise, it is a better choice to start with Sakura.