Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: 2ft Non-CO2 update!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    4,544
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    81
    Country
    Singapore

    2ft Non-CO2 update!

    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

    Advertise here

    Advertise here
    Did a hasty rescape for 2009. The old tank was overgrown and things were getting too stagnant inside.



    Still running on non-CO2, and weekly additions of KNO3, KH2PO4, Seachem Equilibrium, Aquatilizer. Balance-K, Seachem Excel and Dr Mallick's Traces. Ember Tetras are as lovely as ever.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio, Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    1,122
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    22
    Country
    Singapore
    nice setup.
    maybe can add some background plants like Vallisneria for more depth.
    Chee Yong

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    4,544
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    81
    Country
    Singapore
    Was thinking of long hairgrass, but I can't find that easily now

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Beauty World
    Posts
    7,114
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    789
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey Terence!

    Good to see your tank is still running. And a nice scape for the new year too!

    Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    404
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    2
    Country
    Singapore
    Saw some long hairgrass at polyart just days ago
    The role of master and servant begin to cloud in the water..

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    West
    Posts
    350
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I'd like to ask you what light are you using? Looks quite strong. Can tell me the price range of the light, I am thinking of upgrading my light from a 55w

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    189
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    4
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey! Good to see your postings again!

    Nice positionings. Would you want to ditch the moss? It seems to be a bit too messy. Or perhaps tying them on rocks and laying at the perimeter of the base would help.
    Studying the water chemistry and nutrients is a science.
    Knowing what plants to get and how to use them is an art.
    Aquascaping is a marriage of art and science, the logical and emotional.

    -Calvin

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    93
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Xianghao View Post
    I'd like to ask you what light are you using? Looks quite strong. Can tell me the price range of the light, I am thinking of upgrading my light from a 55w
    If i not wrong, could be 2 X 36W PL..

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    4,544
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    81
    Country
    Singapore
    As it's a non-CO2 tank, I'm only running 36W PL. It's a 2 x 36W light set though. Additionally I covered up the light with a piece of translucent paper to reduce light output. Also, the light tube is rather old. Too much light spells trouble and BBA for my tank.

    Thanks benny and calvin. I purposely left the moss that way, was too lazy to do a proper job.

    Now the ember tetras actually school, not like the old days when I left the tank to overgrow and nothing could be seen. Haha.

    Someone tell me if the white stones are ugly? They were uprooted from the substrate... I was trying the stones out as a Powersand layer when I set up the tank lol.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4,923
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    375
    Country
    Japan
    wOAH!! SQUEE!! welcome back to scaping!! nice to see your tank still doing well

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    4,544
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    81
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks Ranma.

    I just removed most of the stones (arm-breaking work) and I just realised that the crypts I placed at the back were C.Parva! They've finally grown after a year plus.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4,923
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    375
    Country
    Japan
    Crypts are funny like that.. plant and forget.. they do better that way..haha..
    touch here touch there..change this change that.. sure die. Then when you give up hope.. they come back to life..haha.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio, Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    1,122
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    22
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by |squee| View Post
    Thanks Ranma.

    I just removed most of the stones (arm-breaking work) and I just realised that the crypts I placed at the back were C.Parva! They've finally grown after a year plus.
    Maybe you can top up a thin layer of soil, incase of the stones being stirred up again.
    Chee Yong

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    136
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore
    may i know what fern is that ? narrow and small . looks really good. And how do you tie them onto the wood with such a massive amount ?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    4,544
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    81
    Country
    Singapore
    That's narrow java fern.

    This tank is about 2 years old worth of Non-Co2 java fern growth. Originally it was quite sparse with java fern stuffed into the crevices and cracks of the driftwood. Over time it just grew and attached itself.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio, Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    1,122
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    22
    Country
    Singapore
    just wondering how long is do you turn on the lights for this tank ?
    Chee Yong

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    4,544
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    81
    Country
    Singapore
    10 hours.

    Filtration is an Atman CF-800.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    189
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    4
    Country
    Singapore
    I thought you left the foreground bare for shrimps as well as to give yourself less things to prune.

    But, yeah, the white stones are a little distracting.

    One lazy trick I did was to place moss on the floor of the scape and then just dump some rocks on top of them. Somehow some will survive and grow around the rocks.
    Studying the water chemistry and nutrients is a science.
    Knowing what plants to get and how to use them is an art.
    Aquascaping is a marriage of art and science, the logical and emotional.

    -Calvin

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    4,544
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    81
    Country
    Singapore
    Haha, partly I guess.

    I think it's time to put a black background too..

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •