Images
    Country
    Singapore

Clown Loaches got white spot

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    2 of my CL got white spots, what should i do?

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Re: Clown Loaches got white spot

Go read up on Ichthyophthirius. If I remember right, Botia sp. have very fine scales and a sensitivity to CuSO4, along with malachite green. Temperatures around 28c speed up the life cycle of the parasite. Ich is an ambient thing in the tank, and it tends to take hold with stressed fish. Are the CL's new? Did any paramaters change rapidy? What do your test kits show right now? Treating ich is approached in a few different ways. Which way you handle this parasite depends on the level of risk you want to take.

-Philosophos

Feedback Score
    Country
    England

Anti white spot remedies are readily available in any LFS. So go to your nearest one and ask for such a remedy. There are various ways, i find the simple ones commonly available do just the trick. White spot, otherwise known as Ichthyophthirius sp as mentioned by Philosophos, is one of the more commonly encountered parasites in aquariums. Especially in clown loach, i lost my first batch of them when i started out in the hobby to this parasite. On second attempt they became ill with this parasite again, a simple remedy administered via pipette and the parasite was killed off. Just be sure to make water changes before administering the treatments, thus removing the previously killed parasites, as they'll remain in the water once killed. They simply drop off the fish when they die. Hope this helps.

Unfortunately clown loach are very susceptible to itch. They don't actually have scales i believe, instead having a more skin like body. This seems to make them far more likely to get itch for whatever reason. Stress to the fish is the most common cause of Itch developing, followed by cuts/scratches incurred from fighting or perhaps your decor.

They can be quite delicate fish, i recently lost my biggest (at 5") after simply removing him to a temporary (established) tank whilst i gave his permanent home a 'spring clean' Alas, i have more though. Good luck with yours mate
    Verminator

Aquatic fanatic and keen learner of aquascaping

The canvas is what you make it...

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks all for the advice, read books on this, so will proceed to buy.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

By the way, yes clown loaches do not have scales.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

I've heard that the scales are small and embedded, or that they don't have them. I haven't been able to find good sources around for either one. I assume embedded because most fish have scales, and figured it was some sort of pocket evolution in rivers that caused the scales to reduce in size. I wouldn't mind reading a well-written article on the subject if there's one around.

-Philosophos

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by fotoudavid View Post
    2 of my CL got white spots, what should i do?
    If it is a bare tank, i recommend having a heater in the tank. raise the temperature to 32 deg/c. it will clear white spots within 14 days