Country
    Singapore

Re: Your Favourite Apistogramma!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    [QUOTE=marle;453567]Apistogramma sp juruensis

This is not an A. juruensis as you named it earlier. Its a Apistogramma sp. "Black-chin/Schwarzkinn. A. juruensis have blue lips instead of yellow.

And, please post the link/reference as to where you obtain the pictures from. Thanks.
    Last edited by genes; 9th May 2009 at 10:22.
    Eugene (^_^)
    De Dwergcichlide Fanatiek
    Now swimming: Plecos and Apistogrammas

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by marle View Post
    Apistogramma Paucisquamis Hehehe, this is my current Favourite Apistogramma species! very Very VERY Fierce.

Nice. Esp this one!
    Joe
    http://apistogramma.weebly.com/scope-apisto-blog.html
    Keeping Apisto Diplotaenia, Elizabethae, Mendenzi, Miua, Peixoto, Bitaeniata, Rotkeil, Wilhelmi red, Agassizi Tefe Cacadora, Paucisquamis, N. Adoketa
    Apisto on sale (updated 7th Mar 13):
    http://apistogramma.weebly.com/apisto-trading-cart.html

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

That is a similar standard Jurua which I saw it at RVA.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Holy Marle,

Does that Apistogramma Paucisquamis belongs to you? It's gorgeous !

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Nope, the A.Paucisquamis in the above pictures doesn't belong to me unfortunately! Those pictures are sent to me by my friend. I am still awaiting a reply from him for the source of pictures.

Mine is younger. The below picture was taken 2weeks ago. He has since developed a more pronounced lyrate tail with colours at the top and bottom now. Will try to take picture when i find some time! Feeding it NLS and decapsulated brine shrimp eggs. This species of apistos ranks amongst the fiercest i have seen thus far but also my current favourite followed by A.Diplotaenias. I hope to venture into A.Elizabethae, A.Angayuara, A.Sp. Miua, A.Sp. "Breitbinden", A.Sp. Jura, and possibly Dicrossus Filamentosus when i have the chance in the future.

Last edited by marle; 12th May 2009 at 04:13.
    Adoketa, Breitbinden, Paciquamis, Diplotaenia, Elizabethae, Mendezi, Inka, Agassizi, L046, L066, Crystal Red Shrimps

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

For those whom are also interested in A.Angayuara, here is a link from Neotropical Ichthyology.

http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=...rttext&tlng=pt

Extract from the above mentioned link:

"Apistogramma Angayuara is described from the rio Trombetas close to the cachoeira Vira Mundo where it is found in association with rapids. It is assigned to the A. pertensis species group, distinguished by the following characters in combination: three prominent stripes composed of dark spots along the sides of the abdomen, 2 vs. 3 postlachrymal infraorbital pores, 5 vs. 4 dentary pores, low dorsal fin in adult males, and presence of a caudal spot. It is the smallest species of Apistogramma reported so far, with the largest male 24.7 mm SL and the largest female 22.7 mm SL, and the first cichlid species found with a significant proportion of rhizopods in the stomach content."

Picture Source: Mergus Cichlid Atlas 2
    Last edited by marle; 12th May 2009 at 11:01.
    Adoketa, Breitbinden, Paciquamis, Diplotaenia, Elizabethae, Mendezi, Inka, Agassizi, L046, L066, Crystal Red Shrimps

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Visited aquarama 2009. Quite disappointed there wasn't really anything with regards to apistos. The only thing i bought was a poster related to it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

i bought mergus cichlid atlas I

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Visited aquarama 2009. Quite disappointed there wasn't really anything with regards to apistos. The only thing i bought was a poster related to it.
    Same here. I was also expecting to see some apistos there. There are a lot of fishes being showcased, but no apistos. It would have been great if there sort of an exhibit (not necessarily a competition) of different apistos from hobbyist.
    Currently keeping:

Planted Tank
    Axelrodia riesei - Ruby Tetra
    Nannostomus trifasciatus - Three-lined Pencilfish
    Apistogramma agassizii "Tefe"

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hopefully we can see that in the next Aquarama showcase.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

haha! i bought the poster too! was disappointed that there were no apistos there, so bought that poster so that i wont go back empty handed

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I think i spotted some viejita in one of the taiwanese show tank. But other than that, nothing on apistogramma.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

How does one differentiate a wild specimen from a non-wild one? If a shop states this particular apistogramma is a 'Wild' piece, are there any tell tale signs on the fish that it really is caught first hand and not farm bred?

One thing i heard of is that for an adult specimen, the finnage is generally more pronounced for a 'Wild' piece.

Anymore?
    Last edited by marle; 15th Jun 2009 at 23:50.

How does one differentiate a wild specimen from a non-wild one? If a shop states this particular apistogramma is a 'Wild' piece, are there any tell tale signs on the fish that it really is caught first hand and not farm bred?

One thing i heard of is that for an adult specimen, the finnage is generally more pronounced for a 'Wild' piece.

Anymore?
    Your question has many answers.
    Some species will have a decent paper trail as to their source but most won't.
    Then it may come down to a matter of trust.
    Above assumes that the discussion excludes species with well known established bred forms which never occur in nature.

I know that in keeping with this thread, my favorite Apistogramma species are normally those I know have been wild caught.
    I have been able to obtain wild Apistogramma borelli Opal about 4 years ago and raised them through 3 more generations and they remain a favorite.

I have 3 pairs of wild(certainty) A. agassizi coming in next week at bargain prices. These have some red and yellows in their fins. My last wild A. agassizi from further back were the shiny white-blue type.

I also like the more subtle color but spectacular fins on A. inriridae and A. pertensis, both of which I have only had wild specimens.

I am an old and experienced breeder of Apistogramma spp but you know, I think one of my favorites is A. trifasciata. Such a pretty fish, easily bred and quick growing species. I recommend it to beginners and experts alike.
    Old fish breeder. SA Dwarf Cichlids, Hypancistrus sp L260, L333 and Peckoltia L134 breeder. Also Sturisoma, Dwarf Corydoras spp, wild Discus and Killiefish. Like breeding Characins and wild Betta spp too.

I happen to notice how appreciated Apistogramma bitaeniata is and of course, in the last decade or so Apistogramma spp in general have become so much more popular than when I began.

I had my own tropical fish ship in my home town when I was still in my 'teens and early 20's and would you believe, Apistogramma were normally all mixed up and sold as assorted Apistogramma? Normally, I would recieve mainly Apistogrqamma bitaeniata and the cost in lots of 25 pieces was only US$0.20 each! I like them and they are not the easiest species to breed but I longed for the occasional A. agassizi and was disappointed when I would receive bunch of large A. steindachneri @US$0.25 each! My, How things change.
    Old fish breeder. SA Dwarf Cichlids, Hypancistrus sp L260, L333 and Peckoltia L134 breeder. Also Sturisoma, Dwarf Corydoras spp, wild Discus and Killiefish. Like breeding Characins and wild Betta spp too.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by apistomaster View Post
    I happen to notice how appreciated Apistogramma bitaeniata is and of course, in the last decade or so Apistogramma spp in general have become so much more popular than when I began.

I had my own tropical fish ship in my home town when I was still in my 'teens and early 20's and would you believe, Apistogramma were normally all mixed up and sold as assorted Apistogramma? Normally, I would recieve mainly Apistogrqamma bitaeniata and the cost in lots of 25 pieces was only US$0.20 each! I like them and they are not the easiest species to breed but I longed for the occasional A. agassizi and was disappointed when I would receive bunch of large A. steindachneri @US$0.25 each! My, How things change.
    Wow they are still consider reasonable cheap.. Just that in bulks, they won't short out the species for you.. Have to see your luck..? Who knows you might get lucky next time?
    Cheers,
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...c/progress.gif"Ben"http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...c/progress.gif
    Life is all about patience & perseverance,
    Failure is just another new beginning

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

do local pet stores sell apisto?
    722 is a dream come true.

Somewhere on a tiny Island call Sillypore
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I do not think so

Try Biotope aquarium, C328, Yishun Aquastar for them. These 3 shops frequently stock up apisto species.
    Eugene (^_^)
    De Dwergcichlide Fanatiek
    Now swimming: Plecos and Apistogrammas

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by exotic_idiot View Post
    Wow they are still consider reasonable cheap.. Just that in bulks, they won't short out the species for you.. Have to see your luck..? Who knows you might get lucky next time?
    Its not the males that are hard to sort, to me, females are really hard to differentiate between species.

Quote Originally Posted by genes View Post
    I do not think so

Try Biotope aquarium, C328, Yishun Aquastar for them. These 3 shops frequently stock up apisto species.

Biotope aquarium has more exotic species. Their prices command a higher premium, but the quality of fishes there is good.

C328 has more of the common species but i heard from the shop's owner that one can order a particular species from him if keen.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by yat6661 View Post
    do local pet stores sell apisto?
    You could always try out at our marketplace. Hmm i would not really advise people to buy at C328, their condition of the fishes seems very pack... Biotope is good, air-con very good heheee

Its not the males that are hard to sort, to me, females are really hard to differentiate between species.
    Yeah.. It's take awhile for you to really see their differences... So it's never to mix different species from different location... MIX up?
    Like Bitaeniata? The females all look the same but out come when you breed out? Who knows what colours you may get?
    Cheers,
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...c/progress.gif"Ben"http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...c/progress.gif
    Life is all about patience & perseverance,
    Failure is just another new beginning

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast