Introduce base fert. into existing tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Move from another thread.

Allen Wrote:
    ------------
    If you don't have any base ferts in your substrate, then you have a few options available...

1) Tear down and restart
    2) Spot fertilization - Use things like tetra initial sticks, JBL 7 balls, ista laterite balls, bioplast depo mineral balls... these things are designed to be inserted directly in the substrate.
    3) Spot fertilization with a base fert - OK, this can be messy if not done correctly. Take a disposable cup, cut off the bottom, and shove the cup into your gravel. Then use your hand to scoop out the gravel inside the cup. Now take your base fert and deposit it into the area inside the cup (This is the messy part). You have to decide how best to do this depending on what fert you use. Finally cover up with gravel and remove the cup. If you are doing large areas, you can change to something larger like a pep bottle instead of a cup...

Scang7 wrote:
    ============

think i have considered those options before...

here's the mega headache... the present filtration that i am using is undergravel filter.. what i understand is that you cannot add base fert if u r using undergravel...am i rite?

Addie Wrote:
    ------------
    Hi Allen,
    I have been thinking of how to do this (cos also start up with no base fert) until I show a tool by ADA that re-introduces base fert. This leads me to create something similar but not sure if it will work.

Would like to get some advice before I start. My plan is to have a short tube with a modified syringe at one end. Tube inner diameter 5-10mm preferably solid plastic tube. Fill base fert into syringe and insert the other end of the tube into the gravel and push out the base fert into the gravel.

What is your opinion on this? Seems like smaller tube will be less messy. of course, the hands still have to be in the water.

Allen wrote:
    ------------
    How you do the topping up of the base fert really depends on what you use... For example, I know some people who tom up with laterite base actually shove their laterite into the freezer. Subsequentyly when the stuff is rock hard, they let just shove it under the gravel and let it thaw there... minimal fuss.

For me when I did this, I had some small little sticks (looks like lizard s.hit - I hope its not) So after I had the gravel cleaned out, I put the stuff in a bowl, and then slowly submerged the bowl making sure the stuff doesn't fly out. Once the bowl was completely underwater, it was just a matter of moving the bowl to the spot, and emptying the contents in.

Addie,

As for the shringe idea, it could work... but bear in mind that shringes are design to work with liquids and not solids... I suspect your shringe outlet would get clogged up instead. Perhaps you could try using those funnels which bakeries use to apply cream onto cakes...

I just had an idea!! Extending the freezing idea, you could take almost any substrate, mix it with a bit of water and let it freeze. If you use the same size disposable cup as the one you cut up, the frozen substrate should fit quite nicely in the hole you dug, and dropping it in should be no problem. Don't ask me what freezing does to your substrate though... I have no idea.

Scang,

We normally don't use Under gravel filters in planted aquaria cuz it might suck up your substrate and cause it to leech into your water column.

Okay, Thanks to Vincent and Allen.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks Allen,

I'm think of modify the syringe to have a bigger outlet. I am using a big syringe that is about 1 inch in diameter.

The freezing method with water mixture sounds workable to me too. Just wonder if the water will get too cold if we put a lot of these freezing base into it?

Ha... another idea just came along. mixed the fert with a little bit of water and pump into gravel using the modified syringe above. What do you think?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 2/24/2003 5:38:16 PM
    Ha... another idea just came along. mixed the fert with a little bit of water and pump into gravel using the modified syringe above. What do you think?
    ----------------
    Again I think that is a bit iffy... I think your substrate /water mix would have to be pretty dilute for it to work... also you have tot be careful how you "inject" the mix... too much pressure might cause it to go everywhere.

Anyway, thanks for starting a new thread. Good job cutting and pasting the various threads [] [] [].
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    freeze the thing in degradable newspaper and then plant it in.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i don't recommend that
    who knows what the heck they use in newspaper nowadays?
    better safe than sorry

as for ugfs and base fert
    ah, don't think they're very compatible
    if you're dead set on using an ugf, just go with liquid fert
    they'll end up in the water column anyway, so why waste time and effort stuffing them in, yes?