Thread: How to slow down plant growth

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I agree with Sherwin, I have since removed all my stem plants and replace them with java moss, virtually maintenance free. My yamamtos are taking good care of them.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    For stem plants, if you light is enuf and you don't plant the stems too close to each, they should not get too leggy. What many aquascapers do is let the plant grow to reach the surface, then prune (using sharp scissors, hand pruning will damage the surrounding cells) by cutting the plant somewhere in the middle, inbetween two stem nodes (those little lines that divide the stem into segments).
    You can then replant the upper half, throw it in your toilet, stir-fry it for dinner or better, give it to me.
    The bottom half will usually develop new side buds and turn into a bushier plant. The cycle can then by repeated a couple more times. But usually after a while, the bottom half wears out and it's best to uproot it and replace with the top cuttings for a fresh start. I do this for each species of mine (Eustralis, Rotala, Hygrophila) once every 2-3 months, so I wouldn't call it terribly tedious.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12