Images
    Country
    Singapore

Spawning in planted tanks?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I went to Teo's recently and noticed that the pair of angels had spawn on a Echinodorus. One of the parents was fanning the eggs. COOL! I supposed they should have hatched by now.

Over the years, many fishes have spawned without any effort from me (well, at least those that spawned, had fries survive long enough for me to notice). Among them were: blue-eye killie, whitecloud minnow, liverbearers and more recently Corydora sterbai. hmm, nothing fancy, but hey, I didn't expect them to spawn either. This morning, I noticed a shoal of male congo tetra flaring their fins, swimming in circles, chasing the females around. I assume this is spawning behaviour (but dun think any eggs will make it with the cories around). Nevertheless, it was very cool to watch!
    Chan of NA also had his Bosemanni rainbows spawn in one of his showtanks rite? Haven't been there for sometime liao, anyone knows what happened to the rainbow fries?

Just curious to know if anyone else had fish/shrimp breeding in their plant tanks??

ck

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Mine did...

A pair of angels that is. But the fries never made it... cos too many hungry cardinal tetra in the tank.... I think I have malayan shrimps spawning also.

No to mention guppies and a pair of bettas...Anyhow, I am a firm believer that if ur fishes are not stressed then they will spawn...but still no luck with tetras leh...
    Check out Wynx' Blog
    Check out Wynx' Gallery
    When fate hands you a lemon, make lemonade.
    Dale Carnegie
    "Who cannot love Her smallest things cannot stand in front of Nature" 隆あまの 

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    My list:
    blue eye killi
    swordtail
    ram
    A. agassizii

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    mostly happen to my apistogramma

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My Congo tets always does that, a pair will swim fast fast one end to another, but never see any egg laying, maybe have but I never noticed and the cichlids below eat their eggs maybe?

I bought 5 Barbus jae from That Pet & Fish, got two always swim together and rub body together, anyway thats the only two left after sometime, the rest disappeared, donno go where.
    Live and let live, stop using life feeds.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    For me: Rams, Swordtails and all the snails.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    my two pairs of angels are spawning every other two or three weeks. Now into my 5th batch of fries, have not successfully raise any though but the current batch is looking good. It's already into the third week.

Think the black pair is going to spawn again this week...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Wow. Seems that Angels are quite prolific breeders. If only Altums where as prolific. []

I was wondering, would all these fish have bred without our intervention if they were in bare tanks? Maybe.
    Or is it that the plant tank maintains the water conditions, provide shelter, or simply just looks more natural, therefore less stressful for the fish, and less casualties?

ck

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey CK, the cherry barbs I got from you some time back spawned recently as well. Don't know when exactly cos I only realised they had spawned after I saw 2 tiny fries swimming around (yes, just 2 left). And incidentally, spawning took place after I imposed a 3-day blackout period (for algae eradication and not for spawing of course) . Thus, I think lights play a very major role in my tank.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    fishes that had spawned in my tank are:
    blue rams, rummy noses and corys.
    no more mating activity since i added the juv discus.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I've had Rams, Zebra Danios, Guppys, Swordtails, platys, Mollies spawn before... oh and snails too
    Allen