Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Re-Setup on exixting tank - final CO2

Feedback Score

Re-Setup on exixting tank - final CO2

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi.. everyone.. I have a 3ft bare bottom tank with tropical fishes (harlequin, platies, golden wonder and golden barb). I want to do a planted tank like the one I saw at Nature Aquarium. Can't get much advice as the place was crowded. I have some questions..

1. Do I need to get the fish out when I put in the 2 bags of lonestar gravel

2. Want to add a CO2 setup but do not wish to discard part of it later on. Many bit and confusing pieces I see in the forum. Can anyone share their FINAL set up, non-DIY type? More important, where to get(less travelling) and how much? Some pics if you can.

Thank you all, can't wait to get it up.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hallo... i also newbie like you, also 3ft tank.You need to get more stuff to set up a planted tank. For the substrate you need to have fertiliser under the gravel. Fert can get at Nature Aquarium. The co2 u can get a manual or solenoid regulator. Solenoid will be better as it has the night cut off, not so troublesome to turn on and off everyday. Also can get from Nature Aquarium.. still got some stuff u need to get before u can set up... this is wad i noe.. i think the more experienced forumners will be able to teach you more.

And yes.. you need to take out the fishies and anything in the tank out before u put in the fertiliser and gravel

You can get most of your stuff from Nature Aquarium.. the prices are reasonable and the shop owner Chan will be able to give u some pointers...
    Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.

Feedback Score
    Thank you Lighthammer. That was fast. Guess I need to know more. Anyone can share? Love this forum.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/7/2003 11:40:48 AM

Hi.. everyone.. I have a 3ft bare bottom tank with tropical fishes (harlequin, platies, golden wonder and golden barb). I want to do a planted tank like the one I saw at Nature Aquarium. Can't get much advice as the place was crowded. I have some questions..

1. Do I need to get the fish out when I put in the 2 bags of lonestar gravel
    A very general question with wide range of possible replies... Definitely need to if you want to put base ferts. Discussion of the importance is all over the forum, do conduct a search.

2. Want to add a CO2 setup but do not wish to discard part of it later on. Many bit and confusing pieces I see in the forum. Can anyone share their FINAL set up, non-DIY type? More important, where to get(less travelling) and how much? Some pics if you can.
    Confusing question, what are you trying to ask? Where are you staying to justify the less travelling? You could see NA Chan's tank for information on what you need.... Go on weekdays, or avoid lunch and dinner hours... its normally very crowded then...Price had been discouraged to be disclosed here but its less then $300 for a 2l tank with Taiwan Solenoid

Thank you all, can't wait to get it up.
    ----------------
    [/quote]
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    Thanks Goondoo.. pardon my questions, newbie.

Dont intend to add fert, may kill fish. Can use fert sticks later. Just want a plain tank like NA, "carpet grass" maybe 1 or 2 taller plants.

By travelling means buy something only to realise more things missing or don't fit and need to abort setup & go buy again.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/7/2003 12:08:21 PM

Thanks Goondoo.. pardon my questions, newbie.

Dont intend to add fert, may kill fish. Can use fert sticks later. Just want a plain tank like NA, "carpet grass" maybe 1 or 2 taller plants.

By travelling means buy something only to realise more things missing or don't fit and need to abort setup & go buy again.

----------------
    Basically, you will need CO2 tank + solenoid + Timer Switch (for exact on/off of your CO2 and lightings) + suitable tubing(if using reactor, normal tubing will do, if using diffuser, get atleast silicon tube) + diffuser/internal reactor/external reactor (depend on your budget and needs, I personally prefer an external but you will need a to have an external callister filter too).

Thats all for CO2 setup, simple, isn't it?

However, going into planted tank means you will soon need to invest in
    1) various test kits like NO4, PH, KH....
    2) algaes fighting warriors like, SAE, Otos, yamatoes....
    3) planting tools like tweezers, cutter....
    4) Various ferts like TMG, Iron, Potassium....
    5) light - recommended is 3w per gallon of water for plants like riccia to bubble nicely. You may read up the forum for infos on which type of lights you might prefer like FL, PL, MH...

Be prepared to cough out more time and $$$....

I still recommend taking out your current fishes... the last think your want to do is burying them alive, keep you already cycled water though
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My best advise to you is to remove everything out of your tank including water. It's better to have a layer of fert for a good planted tank.

You can get more info here for the things required for a planted tank. Post if you are not sure of anything.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Wow.. thks Sherchoo

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi guys

I've posted this newbie "CO2" request before but answers weren't that forthcoming...

Thanks to juggler, I now get a clear picture of a "reactor" and how it connects but that's only a part of the entire CO2 system. Could someone post a picture of a complete CO2 system (not DIY type) showing all the different parts and detachable connections (e.g., flipper, reactor, solenoid, tubing, etc?)

Info. on CO2 system seems to be scattered bits and pieces and it's hard for newbies to CO2 fertilisation to put the puzzle together. I haven't made a trip to the lfs to discuss this yet but it's wise to have some clues before doing that. Having a clear picture on the complete commericial cylinder-type system - how it all connects up, operates, refills, trouble-shooting and maintenance - would give people like me the confidence to get one started.

mike

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I will try once I reached Singapore... Mods, mind if I post it under Aquatic FAQ?
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    elmike,

try check chuck gadd's website for a description of complete co2 system. however, he did not include a solenoid valve which is connected after the regulator.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/7/2003 2:15:51 PM

I will try once I reached Singapore... Mods, mind if I post it under Aquatic FAQ?
    ----------------
    Billy,
    You can post it here, we will move it later.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Hi All... saw this item written in 1996 for CO2 set up. Price may be out, but seems to be still comparable to NA. http://web.singnet.com.sg/~teosb1/diy-co2.html

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    cwbenz,
    This s where I got my CO2 info from when I wanted to purchase my CO2 set. In fact, my CO2 set was purchased from this company (Sing Swee Bee) which deals with gas canisters like oxy-acethelene gas cutting torches. If I'm not wrong, you can ask for Gas Lim. He's the expert there. Been using the set for close to 3 years now.... still performing well *touch wood*.

Chan's set too is quite similar to mine except that the solenoid is bigger and Chan's come with 2 gauges (mine only one). Price mine slightly cheaper but the trip to Attap Valley is really long. Back then, not many ppl sold good CO2 regulator.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks to tawauboy! for Chuck's site...it's the 1st I've seen that gives the whole picture on CO2 systemincluding useful pictorial illustration of the various parts, short of the solenoid component.

...which leads me to my next question[] :

I read that the solenoid is connected to the timer for the lights as well. I understand it shuts off the CO2 supply in synchrony with the lightings. Am I correct then to take it that one has to manually switch on the CO2 system/ lighting again the morning after??

Thanks for answering

mike

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Imagine taking public transport to attap valley... []
    I done that.... Around 3 yrs ago...back then I was ripped out by another hobbyist is buying a taiwanese set for 280 which failed soon after. The sing swee bee setup I bought in 1999 is still working great!...Heck!

I do my C02 top up at Sealico. I think my tank last about 9 months per top up...

Right now, the hobby seems to be on the upward trend...which is good!
    Check out Wynx' Blog
    Check out Wynx' Gallery
    When fate hands you a lemon, make lemonade.
    Dale Carnegie
    "Who cannot love Her smallest things cannot stand in front of Nature" 隆あまの 

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Imagine taking public transport to attap valley... []
    I done that.... Around 3 yrs ago...back then I was ripped out by another hobbyist who sold me a taiwanese set for 280 which failed soon after. After being conned I decide to check sing swee bee . The setup I bought in 1999 is still working great!...Heck!

I do my C02 top up at Sealico. I think my tank last about 9 months per top up...

Right now, the hobby seems to be on the upward trend...which is good!
    Check out Wynx' Blog
    Check out Wynx' Gallery
    When fate hands you a lemon, make lemonade.
    Dale Carnegie
    "Who cannot love Her smallest things cannot stand in front of Nature" 隆あまの 

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    ----------------
    I read that the solenoid is connected to the timer for the lights as well. I understand it shuts off the CO2 supply in synchrony with the lightings. Am I correct then to take it that one has to manually switch on the CO2 system/ lighting again the morning after??
    ----------------
    if you have a timer for your lights, then it can be automatic. connect both your lights and solenoid to the same timer and your co2 will be injected when your lights switch on.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Thank you all guys & gals for all the feedback... got my CO2 system from NA after Biotope asked me to wait while they order. Gas is one to one replacement, aint it great?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes,
    I would get from NA too since they have stock..... another good point about NA is that you can 1 to 1 exchange for CO2 gas topup.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]