Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Another hair grass question...uprooting

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all. i have yet another hair grass question which i hope someone with experience with hair grass can help me with.

i have planted hair grass in my tank for about 5 months. i thought that they are pretty well-established, having grown quite thick and spreading. then suddenly during the one and half week period that i was not home, they started uprooting. quite a big patch of hair grass is now uprooted, and it is not stopping yet.

I am suspecting that this may be caused by my fishes or perhaps strong water current, but are there other possible reasons for the uprooting?

would be grateful if anyone can give some pointers. many thx

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    what do you mean "uproot"? as in they are rotting at the base? I have a whole tank full of HG for the last 9 months, never a case of "hair-loss". In fact have a tough time doing crew cut.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    Some plants will fragment if NO3 levels get too low.

This is a method to populate new habitat if the orginal area is not very good.
    This plant likely doesn't do this much though IMO.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi hwchoy, I don't think that they are rotting at the base. they are uprooting the way that new plants are sometimes uprooted before they are established. in the more recent cases, just before strands/patches of HG are totally uprooted, i notice that they are kinda of like being pulled out with the roots exposed. the roots looks healthy.

Hi Tom. i am not sure that it is a case of fragmentation either, but i will find time to check my NO3 level. Thx

lip

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    lip, I have the same experience at the moment too. 99% grow normally but the remaining 1% are growing above the substrate, exposing the roots. I have half dozen of cory stebai though but they are gentle enough not to uproot them, I think, at least I have not seen them doing that. What could be the reason...

Anyone care to share?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    FC, lucky you, only 1% []

Mine used to be about 5% (freshly planted ones, and only in a specific area of the tank) which i just ignore, because the rest were growing so well. Now even those that have been growing well are being uprooted. at least 40% gone... sheesh []