Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Clown loach size issue

Feedback Score

Clown loach size issue

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have a heavily planted 24" x 12" x 16" - 20 gallon tank, which I am slowly starting to stock at the moment. I really want a pair of Clown Loaches but I'm worried that the tank will be just too small for them. Would they be unhappy in that environment - or will they be fine providing I have plenty of hiding spots and things to swim into?

Feedback Score
    Hi,
    A 24x12x16 inch tank should be ok for 2.I personally have 4 small ones.
    Clown loaches do better in groups, but i think a pair should be fine. A hiding place or cave is a must otherwise they'd shy behind the tank and not display their zany behaviors. Size wise, if you buy small ones, it'll be ok, but once they grow bigger, it may become a problem.

Just a observation, my clown loaches chewed up my expensive plants, but left the cheap plants alone. No idea why the preference. You mentioned that your tank was heavily planted, so if you have a precious plant in there, you might wanna consider again. But they're soo adorable. If you can, set up a tank big enough just for them, and get 6 or more with lots of nooks and crannies. They're a great bunch to watch at play.
    Hope this helps!
    #nicholas
    Web Album

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the advice pipsqueak.

I do have some expensive plants, and would be rather upset if they got chewed up. Has anybody else had any plants damaged by Clown loaches? Do Zebra loaches exhibit the same behaviour towards plants? These are by backup choice to Clown loaches.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    I do not reccomend you get clown loaches.
    Yes, they are small now. but they can reach 30cm long. They will be hard to catch with all your plants when they get bigger too.
    Currently keeping many wild betta species and other anabantoids.

Feedback Score
    Yea, like Mez said, they can grow uo to 12 inches, 14 in the wild.

Not to sure about zebra loaches. You can try searching www.loaches.com

I'd reccomend Kuhli loaches.Another great bunch when the squirm about in the tank together.Very social, and they don't chew on plants, in my experience anyway. Best of all, they won't grow big. 6-7 cm max.
    #nicholas
    Web Album

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    Zebra loaches reach about 6 inches. They are slightly aggressive.
    Kuhli loaches - i don't really reccomend them unless you have sand or very fine gravel in the tank, as they need to bury themselves in it and under things.
    I personally reccomend the Dwarf Chain Loach if you can get them.

Feedback Score
    Mez - what a great suggestion. The Dwarf Chain Loach is a beautiful fish, although I've never seen one. I'm in Vancouver, Canada - so if anybody comes across one, please let me know.

Feedback Score
    Hi Mez, did you mean river sand or beach sand?
    Mine are about 0.3-0.4mm granules. They burrow everynow and then, but I'm not sure if that's exactly what you meant by their "natural" burrowing.
    Do they burrow all the way into the fine sand, half way, or just a little bit when forraging?
    Can't seem to find anymore information about them burrowing besides the need for fine sand.
    #nicholas
    Web Album

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    Hi Mez, did you mean river sand or beach sand?
    Mine are about 0.3-0.4mm granules. They burrow everynow and then, but I'm not sure if that's exactly what you meant by their "natural" burrowing.
    Do they burrow all the way into the fine sand, half way, or just a little bit when forraging?
    Can't seem to find anymore information about them burrowing besides the need for fine sand.
    [b]Either. I'd use the finest you can get. If you collect it locally (i do not reccomend this), make sure you boil it. Yes, boil it. Who knows what is in there. I reccomend buying from a lfs (local fish store).
    They burrow all the way into the sand so you cannot see them at times. They will usually bury half in the sand, so you can see their head. If you have say 3 or more, and lots of plants, you will probably see them more often - especially when you feed bloodworms!
    If you have anymore specific questions, i urge you to start a thread about Kuhli loaches, that way we are not 'hi-jacking' the oringinal thread.
    James