Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Use of apple snails

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    can someone advice me.. whether apple snails is good for the tank in terms of cleaning up the green algae on the glass?
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

yesh, and they are also good for clearing up all your other plants as well!!!

Feedback Score
    My apple snails have not eaten any of my plants so far. Since i got them 5 mths ago
    "In war, whichever side may call itself the victor, there are not winners, but all are losers."
    Neville Chamberlain 1869 - 1940

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You can check this site for more information.

There are a number of species safe for aquariums while some of them are voracious plant eaters. The species can be differentiated by the shell spiral and shape. Check the site for the details.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi fishboy

perhaps you may have enough algae for your apple snail to feed on....in the absences of primary food source, snails have been know for sourcing secondary food source and it just may be the plants.....
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 3/26/2003 1:57:21 AM

hi fishboy

perhaps you may have enough algae for your apple snail to feed on....in the absences of primary food source, snails have been know for sourcing secondary food source and it just may be the plants.....
    ----------------
    Well according to the website, mine is a Pomacea bridgesii. This species do not eat plants, they only eat soft plant matter (i.e. dead/rotting leaves and algae)
    "Pomacea bridgesii (spike-topped apple snail, Brazilian apple snail, golden mystery snail and ivory snail) prefers dead and rotting plants above fresh green ones. Occasionally they eat the softer vegetation. Pomacea bridgesii snails are thus a good choice for an aquarium equipped with a nice collection of water-plants. What is even more: they tend to starve to dead in the middle of the vegetation if you don't provide them with enough food."

Anyways, I dun have too much algae, just alittle spot algae on the glass near the substrate. Barely noticeable.

HTH
    "In war, whichever side may call itself the victor, there are not winners, but all are losers."
    Neville Chamberlain 1869 - 1940

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It's quite tricky to differentiate between species. You have to be sure of what you are adding to your tank otherwise you will just be laying out a salad buffet for your snail.

BC

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i have abt 7 Pomacea bridgesii inside my 2ft tank.. must say that they are doing a good job on cleaning my tank.. hahaha.. but after reading this thread.. i think i better reduce the amt.. [:0]
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    damned.. just saw one of the snails eating my green lotus leaf last nite.. urgh...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Kelvin, is your snail confirmed to be Pomacea bridgesii? If it is, we then have to be wary about such snails.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    Kel!
    Apple snails should not bother plants at all if they are fed properly. Are you actually feeding the apple snails food, or just letting them eat the algae. Try feeding them some lettuce.
    James
    Currently keeping many wild betta species and other anabantoids.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    me just letting them eat the algae.. apparently not enuff.. ok.. i put some lettuce inside..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    was at a live seafood restaurant today at boon keng rd (at the kallang basin industrial park),. saw a tank of these ready to be cooked..

heh

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Apple snail eats live plants??

Quote Originally Posted by fishboy
    Well according to the website, mine is a Pomacea bridgesii. This species do not eat plants, they only eat soft plant matter (i.e. dead/rotting leaves and algae)
    "Pomacea bridgesii (spike-topped apple snail, Brazilian apple snail, golden mystery snail and ivory snail) prefers dead and rotting plants above fresh green ones. Occasionally they eat the softer vegetation. Pomacea bridgesii snails are thus a good choice for an aquarium equipped with a nice collection of water-plants. What is even more: they tend to starve to dead in the middle of the vegetation if you don't provide them with enough food."

Anyways, I dun have too much algae, just alittle spot algae on the glass near the substrate. Barely noticeable.

HTH
    While I'm doing a search for 'Apple snails' and read this interesting thread that was posted quite a while ago. Sorry to bring out this thread and hope it will not cause inconvenience.
    As I brought two Apple snails from - Qian Hu recently at $1 each and confirmed it's Pomacea bridgesii and read many articules that this Apple snail will not eat the plants..and it is a nice additions to the planted tank. How true? The apple snail is just so beautiful.
    The More You Share, The More You Have

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I have a couple of them in my tank.

Sometime they do chomp a bit on my plants (the plants usually grows faster than they can finish ). But most of the time, they will just clean off the algae and left over food from the gravel.

Looking through the website, I think I got the Pomacea bridgesii also... (Are the LFS selling anything else except for these?)

But I got a slight problem with them, their shells seem to be dissolving. I wonder if it is my low PH (acidity) that is causing the problem, or they are having some disease... sigh....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Add two more apple snails

The Apple snail is so beautiful and added 2 more in my plant.d tank. Now they're 4 already and nice to watch.
    I've the same problem too that the apple snail housing geting thin....any foods I should get them to get to get the shell back again?
    The More You Share, The More You Have

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    sorry to dig up such an old thread. Just got 2 apple snails from C328 recently........dumped them into my newly planted 6 ft tank...... to my horror.... saw them starting to much on my tediously planted hair grass with great gusto!!! immediately removed them and temporarily house them in my spare tank......

anyone this similar experience?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ouch... I'd recommend you get nerites. If you can get native ones, so much the better. Failing that, there are "tiger snails" at nature.

Hougang, Singapore / Tg Balai Karimun, Indonesia
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by loupgarou
    was at a live seafood restaurant today at boon keng rd (at the kallang basin industrial park),. saw a tank of these ready to be cooked..

heh
    There was this freshwater stream that empties into Sungei Punggol during the time just before Punggol Marina was built (I think it's now called MCC).

A Japanese friend of my friend saw these apple snails in the small pool of water in this stream, and so having had a bad day fishing, he decided to grab a bagful of these snails home for a feast (he said these were very expensive back home).

Next thing I heard, he's in the ICU with some serious infestation to his blood, and came to within inches of his life.

And he was very sure it is the edible kind of snail.
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.
    Philippians 4:8

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Could it have been something in the water and not the snail? I'm sure cooking would have denatured any poisons and if there were natural toxins he would have tasted it.

A blood infestation sounds like the work of injesting raw food or water that wasn't boiled... Is it eaten raw in japan?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast