Images
    Country
    Singapore

setting up my 2ft tank.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    ok, i'm really excited as this is going to be the first time i'm going to PROPERLY setup a planted tank. no more excuses for failing as i have the right amount of lights and all that now.
    here is my tank specs:
    volume:60x35x30
    prox 16g
    filtration: internal power filter.
    lights: 2x18W FL, 15W FL
    substrate: dennerle

the tank is currently empty now waiting to be moved to my new home tml.
    ok, from this point onwards, i need help to whether i am doing it right.

1. rinse tank and add JBL base fert
    2. place gravel over base fert
    (gravel is wet, would it be ok?)
    3. fill tank 3/4 full
    4. start planting
    5. fix in filter
    6. on lights
    7. fix co2
    8. let the tank settle for 1 week

is this ok? or did i miss out any steps in between? i was there when they were setting up teo's tank. i think it shouldnt be a prob?

Feedback Score
    3. fill tank 3/4 full
    4. start planting
    5. fix in filter
    6. on lights
    7. fix co2

is this ok? or did i miss out any steps in between? i was there when they were setting up teo's tank. i think it shouldnt be a prob?

----------------
    [/quote]

Sounds pretty text book, should or will be ok. Do you have a layout? Last time I didn't have one, I kept fussing over the aquascaping.

Don't mind me asking, where did you find the 2x18w lighting?
    #nicholas
    Web Album

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/29/2003 11:15:43 PM

ok, i'm really excited as this is going to be the first time i'm going to PROPERLY setup a planted tank. no more excuses for failing as i have the right amount of lights and all that now.
    here is my tank specs:
    volume:60x35x30
    prox 16g
    filtration: internal power filter.
    lights: 2x18W FL, 15W FL
    substrate: dennerle

the tank is currently empty now waiting to be moved to my new home tml.
    ok, from this point onwards, i need help to whether i am doing it right.

3. fill tank 3/4 full
    4. start planting
    5. fix in filter
    6. on lights
    7. fix co2

----------------
    thought of boosting your bacteria colony?
    lower light wattage at start?
    err... maybe initial breaking up of light intervals?
    adjusting ph and kh?
    and depending on the plants, you might want to plant with less water in the tank.
    good luck!
    and more importantly have FUN![]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hi pipsqueak, i got my lights from ryan, but it modified it to suit regular 18W tubes.

i do have a question or 2, does it matter if my gravel is wet? becos i washed them the other day and i duno if it would affect the layout of the base fert?

another thing is, when i plant the plants, the water would be usually cloudy and murky.... do i leave it like that or do i remove all the water again then start to refill it, making the water clearer?
    i'm doing everything from scratch, including building my bacteria colony all over again.
    ryan, is it important to maintain breaks during lighting periods and all that?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi cardinal tetra

i have also just set-up my 3ft tank... didn't wash the gravel at all. Use the method that Jacian used while setting up the tank, use a plastic bag. That way you wun stir up much of the substrate or gravel.

Another method is use a container of bowl and direct the water flow into it. The water will overflow into the tank. Of course dun hold the bowl too high. After you top up the water let it settle for a day or two den do a water change. For me i did a 40% water change and the water was clear. Should work for you too.
    Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ok... so i just let the sediments settle, letting the water get filtered for 3 or 4 days then do a water change? thanks!

since yours is only 2ft (like mine), you can still wash gravel if you want, won't be too much of a hassle. donno about dennerle tho, I think its supposed to be quite clean already. wet gravel is fine for laying don't worry. you don't have to fill till 3/4 b4 planting, you can plant even when empty only to fill up later, all personal preference. for me I fill as high as my highest plant I want to plant. so I can see how it looks like upright in the tank while scaping. don't bother about any ph/kh/aye/pie/bke/etc, worry much much later when your tank is cycled. just hook up your equipment, focus on getting all the nitty gritty stuff right, like scaping, placing of equipment, like where to put filter and co2 tank, etc. if you like, on the 2nd day you can do a complete water change. I do that and my rationale is that some base fert may have entered the water while scaping and filling up, so complete water change to remove that. lastly, take pictures, so you can have before/after memories!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    why fix filter after planting? Since it is internal, you should be place it inside first. From there, you can better see how the scaping would look like, and decide which plants are suitable to act as the cover for the filter.

How strong is the power filter? You wont want the plants to be waving in strong current.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 3/30/2003 7:34:46 AM

why fix filter after planting? Since it is internal, you should be place it inside first. From there, you can better see how the scaping would look like, and decide which plants are suitable to act as the cover for the filter.

How strong is the power filter? You wont want the plants to be waving in strong current.
    ----------------
    I agree with lorba, for a small tank, my internal filter made my plats wave like mad, and I had to repositioned it.
    #nicholas
    Web Album

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hello...
    i'm starting a 2ft too... but i hear ppl saying that a planted must be a min of 3ft... as a 2ft is lesser in water contents, there's not much 'buffer' thus more prone to algae... is it true?

regards

Feedback Score
    *Way off topic*
    Hi flush, have you seen Amano's Nano Gardens?

IMO,as long as there's sufficient light, co2 and fert, plants will grow. I think there are a few 2 feet tanks in the My Tank Gallery. That should encourage or inspire you to set up your 2 feet.
    #nicholas
    Web Album