Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts on configuration of cooling system - aircon compressor type with titani

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Your thoughts on configuration of cooling system - aircon compressor type with titani

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I'm planning to install a compressor type chiller that has a titanium coil. The titanium coil will run the refrigerant and will be used to cool an sump tank. I'm trying to picture how I can use gravity to feed the sump with the water from my main tank, and using a pump to push the chilled water back to the main tank. But is there a fail-proof method to ensure that equilibrium of water flow can occur, without having too much water flow downwards, or too fast a pump rate? Any thought will be appreciated.

My tank is a straight-forward 422 tank without overflow compartment.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Your thoughts on configuration of cooling system - aircon compressor type with ti

use the overflow pipe. Sorry I'm not remember where/when did I download the picture from , its probably from one of the reef forum.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Your thoughts on configuration of cooling system - aircon compressor type with ti

Wow ! This one will work.. thanks for the diagram, this is really helpful..
    do you or anyone has any idea if I can buy this piping system? No time to DIY..

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    use the overflow pipe. Sorry I'm not remember where/when did I download the picture from , its probably from one of the reef forum.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I don't think so. I think it is quite easy to do, just need time
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Nicky,

Can I check if you're doing this for a new home or are you planning for some renovation work?

If not, your concern should be how the pipings for your planned chiller coil would be installed and connected to your compressor.
    - eric

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I'm planning to do this in my existing home (not that I have another home to even dream of).

Actually you have summarised the challenges I have on-hand.. I do not want any exposed conduit/piping at home, so the wall has to be hacked to conceal the pipings and power lines.. to hack the wall the whole tank and cabinet have to be shifted and that's heavy.. the place where the tank is located has some concealed SCV and telephone cables that I must absolutely not mess with.. the compressor unit must be located in a specific location (where the rest of the compressors for air cons are located) but to drill a hole to get from the false-ceiling to the compressor area is difficult because of the headroom in the false-ceiling.. and if I embark on all these mess, I will most likely take the opportunity to change my tank to the 422 superclear glass of borneowild (wifey is going to be pissed anyway.. might as well go for the kill)

The existing standard chiller gives out heat that can be too much to bear on hot months. So I'm thinking of solving my heat problem once and for all.

I should have considered all these when renovating this home some years ago.

Anyway back to this thread.. I can source for everything on the diagram.. but where to find the valve ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I remember Jireh was the only lfs that sold the ready made DIY overflow pipe. I am also using the same chiller you will be using and I place the compressor in my hall.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Good.. found a forumer with this setup.. will check out Jireh. If you dont mind can you take some picture of your setup and show me please?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Sorry Nicky, I do not own a camera but you are welcome to my home to see my setup. You can test feel the warm air it gives out but it switches on every 2hour ++ and is only operating for 25 minute for my tank with an Eheim 1260 as a return pump for my marine tank.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the invite! I will contact you this weekend to make plans..

For the sake of others reading ths post and/or future reference, when the water reached the lower set limit, does the power of the compressor get cut off completely, ie, compressor completely comes to a halt, or is it like inverter compressor where (as I understand it), the compressor keeps going only at a very slow rate with the purpose of avoiding a sudden startup that draws lots of current.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi all

I have intention to do one compressor chiller for my new hse too but in another 4-5 months.. Dont mind PM me whoever that can do it so that I could ask him to help me with it.. I am planning to set up a 6-8ft tank..

Cheers
    Koolman

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

There must be more suppliers out there, but you can check out System Control or Chilldown of Absolutereef.com.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
    , does the power of the compressor get cut off completely, ie, compressor completely comes to a halt, or is it like inverter compressor where (as I understand it), the compressor keeps going only at a very slow rate with the purpose of avoiding a sudden startup that draws lots of current.
    the compressor will operate in a start/stop fashion unless it has an inverter built-in or inverter drive installed. the compressor motor for an inverter-equipped compressor is the same as non-inverter-equipped compressor. the main difference is the control circuitry.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

inverter chiller...cool.... will it save energy? from what the aircon people told me inverter compressor safe electricity only if you turn on more than 1 aircon, not sure how true
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Come to think about it.. inverter technology may not be too useful for small tanks like mine. An inverter is useful if there is frequent start and stop. For a small tank like mine, using a big horse-power compressor means cooling time is extremely short; maybe 15 min or less. Then the compressor will be shut off for the next hour of so, depending on the heat gain from ambient (which is linked to temperature delta). In the room aircon on the other hand, the start stop can be as frequent as 10 mins interval. That's where the inverter technology really help save money I think.

Any thoughts to share ?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Just noticed Aquamarin also carries these type of chiller.
    http://aquamarin.com.sg/productsDeta...productid=1136

Quote Originally Posted by koolman View Post
    Hi all

I have intention to do one compressor chiller for my new hse too but in another 4-5 months.. Dont mind PM me whoever that can do it so that I could ask him to help me with it.. I am planning to set up a 6-8ft tank..

Cheers
    Koolman

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

look like modified aircon compressor to me
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I got mine from Chill Down at AbsoluteReef.com about a couple of years ago. My CL650 gave out hotter air compared to the aircon compressor. This chiller is suitable for a 4x2x2 tank and larger. I choose this type of chiller as it was highly recommended by other reefers. I might be the only one placing the compressor in the hall. There are other user who placed their compressor in their homes but mostly placed them near the window unlike mine.

Nicky, the compressor cuts off completely for my setup. The only thing that is still in operation is the external temperature sensor.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

The pic shown is an aircon compressor, and I believe this is the most efficient way of chilling water if connected properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    look like modified aircon compressor to me

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I understand how your external temperature sensor are link up now. Essentially it is similar to what I have sold a few month back.. damn.. if only I knew I'm going to need this I would not have sold it..

Why would you put your compressor in the hall instead of balcony or somewhere near the window to rid the hot air ?

Quote Originally Posted by BFG View Post
    I got mine from Chill Down at AbsoluteReef.com about a couple of years ago. My CL650 gave out hotter air compared to the aircon compressor. This chiller is suitable for a 4x2x2 tank and larger. I choose this type of chiller as it was highly recommended by other reefers. I might be the only one placing the compressor in the hall. There are other user who placed their compressor in their homes but mostly placed them near the window unlike mine.

Nicky, the compressor cuts off completely for my setup. The only thing that is still in operation is the external temperature sensor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast