Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Plants Only Tank Help

Feedback Score

Plants Only Tank Help

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have interest to set up a PLanted only tank 1 ft tank. and maybe bigger ones inthe future.

However, I do know of the problems that can incur due to excessive oxygen...causing fertiliser nutrients to be oxidised not available to the plants? Does this apply to root fertiliser by the way? anybody knows? I know they have some kind of Cation Exchange capability.

Another problem I foresee is the problem of Mosquitos.....larvae...Well my 1 feet tank has a cover..and I can probably cover the holes..with fine net...but I think I will diffuse the lighting with the acrylic cover provided yeah??

Maybe there is some kind of pesticides for this? that they use for agriculture? Might sound like a stupid question but do Shrimps eat Mosquito Larve??

Thanks
    Jo

Feedback Score
    The surface agitation by fans or a skimmer might prevent the mosquitos from laying their eggs? Just might work.
    #nicholas
    Web Album

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I wouldn't worry about too much O2. Fe do get oxidised, but plants have their way to deal with it, and extract it from the environment.
    You should worry about too little CO2 instead, cos this is often the limiting factor in plant tanks.

I dun think CEC of substrate is affected by O2.

No, you cannot put pesticide in the water. Your hand is going to be in there izn't it? You dun want the pesticide to be absorbed into your skin do you? The simple solution is add one small fish, say SAE, and it will take care of your algae and potential mosquitoe problem.

ck

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    There is something that kills mossie larvae that does not harm fish... you can find it at pond nurseries and Aquamart. Not sure if other LFS carries them. You'll want to read the label to determine the toxicity to humans.

I've seen my yamatos grab and eat live brine shrimp and frozen bloodworms, so I guess they'll take a whack at mossie larvae. The thing is they don't actively hunt for them, so the chances of them finding the larvae may be slim.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Like CK said, I would prefer to have a fish than to add pesticides.

Maybe a fighting fish?

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I read your other post and finally understood your intentions.

If you want to prevent mosquitoes, the easist way is to just cover the tank with a piece of plastic or glass. No point messing with chemicals and worry about whether it will be harmful.

ck

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    just putting one guppy will solve your problems.