Country
    Singapore

UV lights

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi bros,

i need some advice on UV lights as i am still considering on whether i should get one set. Is it reallie effective agaisnt algae? for those using it, do you still get algae? please advice.. thankss

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: UV lights

i heard that UV light is good at treating green water but for algae problem i don't really think so.UV is good specially if your tank is expose to sunlight.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

UV is good for treating green water. Been using for 4 month. No more green water for me anymore.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

There are two kind of UV lights..

UVA - plants

UVB - reptiles or amphilbians

Dont get the wrong one..

Cheers
    Koolman

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I think he is thinking more of a UV steriliser not a UV tank light. The sterilisers only kill organisms which pass through the light flow so it has little effect on tank based algae although it reduces spores it doesn't give a noticeable effect. It reduces the amount of diseases in the tank and thus reduces your fishes overall immunity and capacity to survive infection. It is good in a commercial tank setup as the fish aren't in the water long term and already highly stressed so waterbourne pathogens are a serious threat for spreading between tanks.

To paraphrase: Not worth it.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I am using one Jebo brand 11w for my 6ft tank. You must reduce your filter flow rate if you are using those powerful ones. I am using Eheim 2026 I shut the valve halfway to reduce flow rate.

Ok for me so far been using it for 1 month...water is always crystal clear. Will still have slight algae buildup on the glass...but it has reduced a lot as compared to not using one in the past...but trust me...water crystal clear.

Got it from Pasir Ris Farm at $40 only...

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

thanks for the advise.. yea i'm thinking of getting the cheap JEBO UV lights for only 20 odd bucks...whao you mean it reallie affects the fishes immunity?? didn't know that. so i suppose its not exactly very good to have one aye? Yea my 2ft tank now is not connected with a UV light filter and there are occasional slight build ups of algae which i just wipe off..hence i was thinking if it isn't as effective then i won't waste $$ to get one for my new tank. Thanks for the comments =) hope to learn more!

cheers.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

There is a similar effect to children who grow up in homes where there parents are super hygenic and clean. Their immunity is reduced as they are exposed to the pathogens at such a low level consistently that it is a waste of the bodies resources to protect against them ultimately the environment causes more harm then good.