Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Breeding feeder guppies

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    anyone doing it ? I intend to start a tank for it but got no idea how should i and what condition is needed. anyone tried doing it or are doing it currently? mind to share your experience? thanks!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: breeding feeder guppies

feeder guppies not easy to maintain

water parameter and medication is a few factors to keep fish hobby going.

CHeers..

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

When I was small, I used to keep those cheapo guppies, swordtail and platty in a claypot with lotsa weed together with floating plants such as frogbits, duckweeds etc... Left it under the sun and they will thrive without having to feed them. They survive by munching on those algae in the tank. Seem to thrive and breeding takes place naturally. One of my friend is doing it also at the corridor of his HDB flat.
    Last edited by jt1; 11th Sep 2009 at 16:43.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Hi JT,
    Are you talking about fancy guppies?
    There are a few points to take note:
    a) Filtration must be good
    b) Water parameters: make sure you cycle the water first and add in anti-chlorine stuff. Some nitriying bacteria will be great to break down the fish's wast
    c) Food: Brine shrimp is always the best although you can use flakes or pellets
    d) Water change: If possible, do it daily

Wen you receive your guppy, put the bag into the tank and let it float for about 15 minutes to acclimatize the guppy to your temperature. Then open the bag and pour in some of your tank water, 10% every 5 mins will be appropriate till it fills up 50% of the bag.
    Then you can slowly release the guppy in to the tank.
    You can add some Epsom salt to increase the water hardness and kill some bacteria.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Referring to the common guppy and feeder platty fishes. Ideally of course is to maintain a tank as abovementioned but we can also keep things simple without the inconveniences incurred. Just a matter of balancing nature.
    On hindsight and after reflecting back, the so called tank or pot of fishes wasnt left under direct sunlight but under the shade of trees to keep the tank cool.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

has anyone successfully bred and kept breeder guppies and let them live as long as those fancy guppies?

Noticed some of them have pretty unique patterns / colours.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Smile Re: breeding feeder guppies

remember to add some salt inside

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by actorial View Post
    anyone doing it ? I intend to start a tank for it but got no idea how should i and what condition is needed. anyone tried doing it or are doing it currently? mind to share your experience? thanks!
    First off, if you are planning to make a tank to breed these guppies as feeders for your other fish, don't do it. Too time consuming, and they will not produce enough over time for you to consider using them as a source of live food for the predatory fish. Buying them straight from the LFS is more economical.

If you are intending to breed them for fun, just get a 1-2 ft tank with a few guppies, cycle it and then put the pairs in. If you don't provide good cover for the fry, none will survive in a tank with other adult guppies.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Feeder guppies are bred in brackish water to enhance their growth rate. Hence unless u can emulate similar water parameters, i would recommend those normal lfs guppies at 60cts per piece kind rather than feeders.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Guppies, if you look at those "long kang" types are cheap. So cheap some of them feed it to arrowanna.

Now, if you are looking high class a bit one, you should be looking at those with certificate ones. C328 will have that, so you just need to go there walk walk and see it for yourself. If you are just looking for normal normal beautiful ones but not those intend for feeding to Arrowanna, a walk at Yishun Chong Pang, you should find what you want.

I am talking about guppies in specific areas, and there are few shops available at each of the area, so just go for a walk. Believe you will be able to draw a decision there. Of course, preferably you should prepare the tanks first before letting the buying urge to get onto you.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    I still cannot forget the story of the Luohan few years back.

One Singaporean, went into Malaysia to buy a very very beautiful expensive Luohan. He did not have a tank, so when he got home, he release his prized baby into a pail and went downstairs (HDB) to get his tank. After he bought the fish tank, stands and accessories, he could not find his fish anywhere. To his dismay, his wife told him that she cooked a fish specially for him. I don't have to tell you the rest of the story...ha...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Whale View Post
    Guppies, if you look at those "long kang" types are cheap. So cheap some of them feed it to arrowanna.

Now, if you are looking high class a bit one, you should be looking at those with certificate ones. C328 will have that, so you just need to go there walk walk and see it for yourself. If you are just looking for normal normal beautiful ones but not those intend for feeding to Arrowanna, a walk at Yishun Chong Pang, you should find what you want.

I am talking about guppies in specific areas, and there are few shops available at each of the area, so just go for a walk. Believe you will be able to draw a decision there. Of course, preferably you should prepare the tanks first before letting the buying urge to get onto you.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    I still cannot forget the story of the Luohan few years back.

One Singaporean, went into Malaysia to buy a very very beautiful expensive Luohan. He did not have a tank, so when he got home, he release his prized baby into a pail and went downstairs (HDB) to get his tank. After he bought the fish tank, stands and accessories, he could not find his fish anywhere. To his dismay, his wife told him that she cooked a fish specially for him. I don't have to tell you the rest of the story...ha...
    haha the most expensive delicacy in town....

at C328, are you referring to those guppies at the back, where $70 / pair CRS are placed?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

i used to have a 3ft by 3ft kinda basin, for a water feature. threw in a few fancy looking guppies. left it under the weather, with some shade. and they just grew and bred. they feed on algae and, some worm like stuff that came from the potted plant's soil. hmmm, just watch out for mozzies breeding if u wanna do it this way. are u breeding them as feeders ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Expensive guppies is usually sold in small rectangular tank about the size of of a jar bottle. They come with certificates. When you breed pure blood type, you normally want pure breed only.

If you are getting the normal ones, they pretty much will cross breed with each other. As guppies are long kang fish, they can survive even in the wild ponds, reservoir so long there are no predators.

Bedok Reservoir once have it, until "good people" release luo han inside. When my cousin went to release his discus out of good heart, the discus(s) were basically "killed" and "hunted down" by the luohan right in front of his eyes. He resented himself for an entire week or two why did he release the fish into the reservoir in the first place several years back. He is okay now.

Feedback Score
    Images

why do we need certificate for guppies? it's not like arowana....
    With great power, come great responsibilities...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Certain cultivated strains of guppies are pure-bred and hence will come with certificates stating that the owner has a pure-bred pair etc. Not all breeders will do this, but certificates are good, especially if it is a prize-winning strain.

Arowana come with certificates AND microchip tags underneath the skin because they are under the CITES convention. They are endangered in the wild. The certificates usually state that they are commercially bred in fish farms, and also contain their strain type and a registration number, from what I remember. Without the certificate you cannot own Asian Arowanas, last I checked.

And again I'll say this, if anyone is planning to breed guppies as feeders in large numbers at home, don't bother because you won't have space to raise every fry you get. They are great for feeding small predatory fishes, since the fry are produced regularly with multiple females.

However if you are planning to keep feeder guppies, instead of expensive guppy strains, don't bother either. Many, if not all the feeder guppies sold in bags at the LFS are usually in poor health when you buy them.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

agree with Stormhawk; even my mum suggested me to get those but looking at the packaging, one can tell that they're meant for feeding instead of keeping.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

yup got to agree with storm hawk, those packets of feeder guppies are usually poor in health. might introduce unwanted stuffs into ur tank. when our guppies started breeding, their numbers didnt get pass a total of like what, 50? in a few months la. the fries get eaten by the adults. of course, we didnt seperate them.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

what attracted me to them are their unique colours; some are motted in black and white and look really unique; but considering their genetic status, it's better to give them a pass...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

so is a big NO to breed feeders guppies myself? is there any suggestion of any feeders i can keep and breed myself to serve at feeders?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by actorial View Post
    so is a big NO to breed feeders guppies myself? is there any suggestion of any feeders i can keep and breed myself to serve at feeders?
    bingo. For starters, you can get regular fancy guppies. Just ask any of us and we'll be able to guide you along

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast