Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Type of CO2 output method helps dissolving rate?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Type of CO2 output method helps dissolving rate?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by Jervis View Post
    I don't believe the pH controller actually helps in increasing the CO2 dissolving rate. It's more dependent on the method of output (i.e. CO2 reactor, glass diffuser, etc.) and bubbles-per-second.
    As above i quoted a past thread by a expert aquarium.

Currently i'm using a DIY C02 system and output method is a air stone. I put the air stone into the sand so i will help to takes some time to dissolve the C02. But i still new to C02 and would like to ask, which type of C02 output method is the best in term of dissolve rate? Glass diffuser? Airstone or any other type?

And i need to get sometime to test my C02 level, it those stick on tank with the solution that turn blue, yellow and green working fine or should i get the PH and KH tester to get the C02 level? thanks alot guys

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Type of CO2 output method helps dissolving rate?

i just started a DIY C02 last week. I read online & some people suggest that put the output tube near the pump system. So that the C02 bubbles get suck into the filter system (I'm using topload system) and that will help dissolve the C02 faster. I already notice my 2 plants is doing better now, new leaves are shooting out fast ^_^

Near Far NW suburbs of Chicago,Illinois USA
    Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

I use a powerhead to dissolve my Co2, ive had the stones and itty bitty glass diffusers and have made my own reactors. I like the Powerhead method best.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

but if i not wrong powerhead provide oxygen and if C02 mix with oxygen will kill the C02 right?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by dna9179 View Post
    but if i not wrong powerhead provide oxygen and if C02 mix with oxygen will kill the C02 right?
    I use powerhead too, no problem at all. Just connect your powerhead air inlet to CO2 tube. It works brilliantly.

Near Far NW suburbs of Chicago,Illinois USA
    Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Nope, its just an impeller in a housing, using the air inlet port on the Powerhead is a much better diffuser method short of having a full on reactor. You can aim it too which gives much more dissolve time.

I have just ordered some reverse elbows to add more PH's to my RUGF filtration system, I got more because I want to plumb my powerhead Co2 diffuser into some clear 1" tubing and run a 3 and a half foot basically Co2 wand right at substrate level to get the most dissolving possible, A backsplash strip can be used to trap the Co2 bubbles.

Basically the tinier the bubble the better. If you use a stone always use glass or ceramic, the sand ones deteriorate just like the air tubing does, just a little faster.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I am also using a powerhead.
    Initially I connect the CO2 tube to the powerhead air inlet as decribed by Wahlin. (method 1)
    Recently I made a slight modification (DIY)and make the CO2 enter via the powerhead inlet (method 2), I believe is similar to IlOutfitter's method.

method 1 method 2

I will say that method 2 is better as the CO2 mist is finer after being chopped by the impeller. But both methods works fine.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Talking Re: Type of CO2 output method helps dissolving rate?

Why, all the trouble?
    Just use a check valve + bubble counter + CO2 diffuser combo.
    I think the total is barely SGD12.
    You can adjust the solenoid to perhaps 1 bubble per second per one foot length of your tank.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I believe the discussion is about diffusing DIY CO2, that is, using yeast / sugar solution method.
    - eric

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia

Options I tried are :

1) Airstone under the filter outlet so the current blows the bubbles into all directions.
    2) As described above under the filter Inlet.

I believe 2) works better but not much of a difference for me.

Pearling occurs BOTH methods.

The next method I wish to try is using the Nutrafin CO2 Bubble Counter / diffuser.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

thanks for all the method on dissolving the C02. Really helps

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

For the attaching the co2 to the powerhead method,

in the case of DIY Co2, wont it suck out the liquid as well since its low preassure ? it would be a nightmare if the yeast+sugar+alchohol concoction enters the tank ...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I use a HOF and fan. I was told that both will cause lost of CO2 because of movement of surface of water. Therefore I've tried moving my diffuser away from the source of movement.

After trying several places, I've found that the best position is under the HOF outlet, which also happens to be right next to the filter inlet. The CO2 is distributed more evenly and I'm using less CO2 for better pearling.

Then there's the thing of micro bubbles flying around, i still trying to live with it, and if i can't I shall be trying out a reactor instead of diffuser