Country
    Singapore

Main reasons plant melt.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

I have a 2 tanks and recently I tried to set up a third tank. The plants that i put in my other 2 tanks is not growing but melting in my third tank.

I am not sure what is the reasons. Is temperature the main cause for plants to melt? How about nutrient deficiency?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Main reasons plant melt.

can list down the plants in your tank. Cause melting might be common for some plant like HC when they change from emerse to submerge form.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia

yup maybe you can give us a clearer picture on your tank set-up, lights? or even gh/kh help to contribute to the wellness of your plants

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

There is an assortment of plants in my tank. java fern, anubias nana, and some sort of sword which i got from the pond. The sword plant grew quite well in one tank but not the other tank.

there was this time even my hardy nana melted . the cause could most probably be excessive hydrogen sulphide in the tank or is it because it goes from emergent to submerged and needs time to adjust?

the only plant that I have that never melted is Java fern. the best that i have. It's so hardy that it won't die even with very little lighting and got trampled by my red ear sliders.

the substrate that i have is gravel with no fertilizer. 2x 12 watt lighting T5. tank is 2 ft by 1 by 1. no co2. Temperature 28 to 30. avg temp 29.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Any fishes? prawns? snails?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

there's a few small platys, 2 shrimps, one betta.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

It might be due to the temperature.
    Try installaing a fan.
    Bringing the temperature down to 27c will be disarable.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

i suspect it could be the temperature too. Sometimes the water in my tank can measure up to 31/32 degrees celcius in the afternoon. Avg temperature 29/30. with fan mayb 27/28.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Minute Me,
    How long have your 3rd tank been running? where did you got your plants? Cause nana and java ferns I had also melted on me before growing back cause I got them from farms. I dont suspect temprature will cause nana to melt cause I had a tank which was running for 28-31 degrees and my nana and javas did not melt.

Cheers,
    kenneth
    Keeping.
    Apistogramma Peixoto, Agassizi 'Rio Tefe Cacadola', Agassizi 'Tefe Bauna', Bitaenita 'Rio Copea', Diplotaenia 'Barcelos', Mendenzi 'Sao Gabriel', Gibbiceps 'OrangeFace' Opal, Hippolytae, Pauciquamis 'Negro' Uauspei Blukteil, uauspei Rokteil, Elizbethae 'Sao Gabriel', Sunrise, Trifiscata 'Rio Pinmental'

Near Far NW suburbs of Chicago,Illinois USA
    Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

M nana melted with high ammonia, I dont know celcius but my temps were 78-82 degrees and still are and are growing back fine now.

Transplanting also causes some melts, like said before with the vals,swords,anubias',ferns and crypts. Are you dosing these tanks as well? some melt from dosing.

This will help everyone.

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_nutrient.htm

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Telecredible View Post
    Hi Minute Me,
    How long have your 3rd tank been running? where did you got your plants? Cause nana and java ferns I had also melted on me before growing back cause I got them from farms. I dont suspect temprature will cause nana to melt cause I had a tank which was running for 28-31 degrees and my nana and javas did not melt.

Cheers,
    kenneth
    it's been running for about 2 months now i think.i got my nanas from lfs. some time the same type of plants can behave differently in two different tanks. i can only put it down to nutrient deficiency/ water quality as lighting and temp are about the same.

Feedback Score

Recently i notice my plants have same problem cos i never put anti chlorine. I think the water chemical kill them slowly. First turn yellow then bye bye. Not one tank but a fews. Nana will rot from outside to inside. Weaker plants will rot all. Make sure u put enough anti chlorine to your tank.
    Treat your fishes like your baby. The sign and symptom is the same but cannot talk.
    Go nature

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Covering nana's rhizomes can result in plant death.

Also, nana only requires very minimum lights for example, 12 watt lighting for tank of 2 ft by 1 by 1 should be good. They like to be shaded. I saw farms always shade their nana field.

my nana melted when I gave them 2 Watts of light per gallon- MH somemore.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

the substrate that i have is gravel with no fertilizer. 2x 12 watt lighting T5. tank is 2 ft by 1 by 1. no co2. Temperature 28 to 30. avg temp 29.
    Pardon me, are you fertilizing the tank?
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung