Country
    Singapore

New Plant & Shrimp Tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi All,
    Initially I started my tank with some plant and 8 guppies, but they just die off 1 by a day. So I clear up all my soil, plants and filters and give them a good wash as I found thin layer of oil above my water.
    This is my first time having planted tank. Use to have lou han fish only. Just a simple tank with pump and filters. So what have cause all my fish to die, izzit that layer of oil temp too high or that water pump have no air at all.
    Now I rearrange and modified the water pump to suck in air. Add in new cherry shrimp to try it out again for the past 5 days. With water temp at 28-30 degree.
    My tank is a 25 litre tank with Three-stage filtration: biochemical sponge filter chemical/activated carbon biological/ceramic rings/bio balls, 1x 18w PL light and 3kg of Gex soil.
    Can any senior advice or comment on my tank.
    Last edited by Vipertarius; 10th Jul 2010 at 07:03.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: New Plant & Shrimp Tank

Thats a nice hatchetfish in your tank.

Did you cycle your tank? Best to do so before adding in your fauna.
    Try not to use water straight from the tap to wash your equipment as this may kill your fishes.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

you might want to test your water parameters and post here, so the experts can give you a better analysis. btw, is that rock safe? did you do the vinegar test?

as for the oily film, its normal for a planted setup, refer to this thread to clear your doubts.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by alas View Post
    Thats a nice hatchetfish in your tank.

Did you cycle your tank? Best to do so before adding in your fauna.
    Try not to use water straight from the tap to wash your equipment as this may kill your fishes.
    Oh yes forget to mention the 2 hatchet fish. They survive for 8 days. Only died after those guppies. I cycle it for 3 days with plants before I put in those fishes. The only survivor is 2 x 小精灵. They have been in the tanks for from since day 3. Till now almost a month.
    If one day i won't be able to take care of you... I will be an angel to bless you...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by tinydot View Post
    you might want to test your water parameters and post here, so the experts can give you a better analysis. btw, is that rock safe? did you do the vinegar test?

as for the oily film, its normal for a planted setup, refer to this thread to clear your doubts.
    I have yet to buy any water tester. as for that Rock to test with vinegar to me is ???? I have been reading this forum to understand more from you seniors. sorry for been so noobs.
    If one day i won't be able to take care of you... I will be an angel to bless you...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Vipertarius View Post
    I have yet to buy any water tester. as for that Rock to test with vinegar to me is ???? I have been reading this forum to understand more from you seniors. sorry for been so noobs.
    read this thread for a clearer picture. basically those "unsafe" rocks will raise the ph level of your water, so unless your fishes belong to high ph level category, you cant use those rocks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by tinydot View Post
    read this thread for a clearer picture. basically those "unsafe" rocks will raise the ph level of your water, so unless your fishes belong to high ph level category, you cant use those rocks.
    Thanks Tinydot,

will replace that rock with some wood stuff..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

I do certainly admit the hardest part in breeding guppy will be the first 24 hours when you bring them back and put it in the tank.
    Your tank might contain chlorine if you see the fish swimming around restlessly.
    Always put some anti-chlorine stuff if you not sure and cycle the water for a few days.
    Add some friendly bacteria into it and let the water be for about 3 days before putting in the guppy.
    It will also be wise to put the water from the tank into the guppies original water about 10% every 5 minutes so they can acclimatize themselves to the water condition. Top up till 50% then you can release the guppy.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrotperv View Post
    I do certainly admit the hardest part in breeding guppy will be the first 24 hours when you bring them back and put it in the tank.
    Your tank might contain chlorine if you see the fish swimming around restlessly.
    Always put some anti-chlorine stuff if you not sure and cycle the water for a few days.
    Add some friendly bacteria into it and let the water be for about 3 days before putting in the guppy.
    It will also be wise to put the water from the tank into the guppies original water about 10% every 5 minutes so they can acclimatize themselves to the water condition. Top up till 50% then you can release the guppy.
    Yes i did cycle the new tank for the first 3 days with plant as i bought it together. As for the chemical stuff I do not dare to use it without any knowledge. Now this tank is keeping 50 x cherry shrimp and 2 x 小精灵( english name for 小精灵?)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yes i did cycle the new tank for the first 3 days with plant as i bought it together. As for the chemical stuff I do not dare to use it without any knowledge. Now this tank is keeping 50 x cherry shrimp and 2 x ( english name for ?)
    they are called oto.really surprised that oto can outlive the guppies. From I understand, oto are very sensitive. Will not survive if water parameters are not right.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by hann View Post
    they are called oto.really surprised that oto can outlive the guppies. From I understand, oto are very sensitive. Will not survive if water parameters are not right.
    Found the name.

=> Otocinclus affinis
    Last edited by Vipertarius; 10th Jul 2010 at 07:03.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

bro, are u using a boyu tank? I bought one end last year and just started this tank. Hence still meddling with the pump..I can't seemed to get my pump to displace water out from the outlet? Do u have a hose extending from the pump and connected to the outlet? Can advise? I always use cannister or HOF filters...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, my Otto always don't survive long even I do dripping method upon introducing them in. That goes the same for my black tetra. I know tetra prefer more acidic water but what about Otto?
    Quote Originally Posted by hann View Post

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Great looking and please keep us updated.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by terence View Post
    bro, are u using a boyu tank? I bought one end last year and just started this tank. Hence still meddling with the pump..I can't seemed to get my pump to displace water out from the outlet? Do u have a hose extending from the pump and connected to the outlet? Can advise? I always use cannister or HOF filters...

Fixed it already. I missed out the L tube. Goodness gracious me!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia

Yes i did cycle the new tank for the first 3 days with plant as i bought it together. As for the chemical stuff I do not dare to use it without any knowledge. Now this tank is keeping 50 x cherry shrimp and 2 x 小精灵( english name for 小精灵?)
    Brother...

3 Days of cycling is not enough for a new tank.

But I am confused, is this the same tank that you used from the previous fish or a completely new tank?

If new tank, you need to cycle at least 3 weeks, or alternatively use some water and the filter from an established tank to seed (bring the beneficial bacteria) your new tank.

Yes it is tempting to put nice fishies into the tank first few days but resist the urge.

When adding the water did you add any other chemicals to remove the chlorine / chloramine? Like Seachem Prime?

Please do not add in any more life until the tank is cycled....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi,

Please check the pH of your water, since you are using soil as a substrate. Is the water too acidic for the fish? In the first picture at the top right corner, a guppy has a split tail, was it apparent at the shop owner's tank? Did the rest suffer broken tails too?

Best of luck to your new tank.

Thio

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by terence View Post
    Fixed it already. I missed out the L tube. Goodness gracious me!
    Glade to hear you have power up the pump, I did some modification to the outlet as well for water pump to suck in air don’t look good but I feel better to see air pumping out.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by tsunamisurfer View Post
    Brother...

3 Days of cycling is not enough for a new tank.

But I am confused, is this the same tank that you used from the previous fish or a completely new tank?

If new tank, you need to cycle at least 3 weeks, or alternatively use some water and the filter from an established tank to seed (bring the beneficial bacteria) your new tank.

Yes it is tempting to put nice fishies into the tank first few days but resist the urge.

When adding the water did you add any other chemicals to remove the chlorine / chloramine? Like Seachem Prime?

Please do not add in any more life until the tank is cycled....
    That is the same tank I use for the shrimp. Only change half of the water when all my fishes was gone, let it settle for 3 days then add in new shrimp (x50) till now only 2-3 casualties.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Biotopeshop View Post
    Hi,

Please check the pH of your water, since you are using soil as a substrate. Is the water too acidic for the fish? In the first picture at the top right corner, a guppy has a split tail, was it apparent at the shop owner's tank? Did the rest suffer broken tails too?

Best of luck to your new tank.

Thio
    Initially I bought 8 guppies with full rounded tail, I still wondering does guppies fight?
    Will drop by your place to buy some ph checker and some chemical for the tank.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast