Country
    Singapore

Test Kits, Essential?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi bros,

Going to have to pester you guys for advice again, now that i have settled most of my other stuffs to set and aquarium, i am wondering on test kits

There are so many different test kits out there with different variations and i am kinda lost and confused. Being a student, means i dun have much cash to spend on certain kits that i mite only have to use several times so i hope the bros could help me figure it out which are the essential kits for a planted tank.

I kinda narrow it down to a selected few:

PH test kit
    CO2 drop checker
    Ammonia test kit
    Nitrate test kit
    Nitrite test kit
    GH test
    KH test

okay then again i just listed the whole kits needed for freshwater aquariums. but is it really required to have all those test kits to maintain a proper aquarium? or just selected few.

i came across API Freshwater Master Kit which is selling in pg for RM85 or about SGD 35$ and im wondering would it be worth it to get for something that i would just use a few times.

Pls advice

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Test Kits, Essential?

So far I have managed to maintain 3 aquarium without using any test kits. they are all simple set up with some plants in it. so far everything is fine except on one occasion when water turned bad due to using wrong substrate.

All my fishes are hardy type and also not expensive. if you have very expensive fishes, think better use test kits to be sure.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Depends on what is your livestock. I am force to get one when rearing crs. Before just guppies which is not necessary.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Wow, in that case i think ill skip it, was just planning to have neons/cardinals and guppies in them since its just gonna be my desk tank. haha that would save me alot of money to use to get more plants

thanks guys

Near Far NW suburbs of Chicago,Illinois USA
    Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

try ebay, got my API master FW for 10 bucks shipped, test kits are worth it if you are investing time and money or have a larger tank.

I recommend them because if I woulda had one before I bought one I wouldnt have lost an angel and neon to ammonia poisoning. API read an 8.0+ on Ammonia and the test strips said I was perfect... Its cheap insurance.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

yes. They are extremely impt as these testers will allow you to know your water condition and stuffs.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

To me, test kit is only important when I am setting up a new tank. It will tell me when the nitrite and nitrate levels have dropped to acceptable level for me to start to add fish in. And then to monitor the conditions for a few weeks after adding in fish.

As long as the fish are healthy, I have not use it.

I guess you need them only when there is a major change to your tank.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

One that I find most handy is a chlorine tester. Cheap, easy to use, last a long time and IMO essential.
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung