Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vampire Crabs Babies

Ruhr Area (but born and raised in Cologne)
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Germany

Re: Vampire Crabs Babies

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Stormhawk,

no, lighting is not essential for any crab except Uca (and maybe the other genera out of the superfamily Ocepodoidea). In the contrary they like it if it is darker.

If the baby crabs hunt crickets? Poooh, our Geosesarma sp. "Vampire" don't hunt any crickets but we heard from keepers whose crabs did. You could try it but I would watch it – maybe the crickets could try to eat the mini crabs? Generally they should be herbivore and do not harm the crabs but who knows… That's why I would watch a try.
    Cheerio, BEASTIE ;-)

CRABS, Crayfish, Shrimp, Land hermits, Mussels & Snails, Dragons, Snakes and more in some 40 tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

wow baby vamp crabs too bad they died... vamp crabs are hard to come by these days I only see rainbow crabs everywhere? where do you guys buy them from usually... the 2 crabs I got from Aquastar both died after 3 months from internal parasites so I aint going back there to buy anymore...
    ...I'm da in da deep blue ...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by zoothefreak View Post
    wow baby vamp crabs too bad they died... vamp crabs are hard to come by these days I only see rainbow crabs everywhere? where do you guys buy them from usually... the 2 crabs I got from Aquastar both died after 3 months from internal parasites so I aint going back there to buy anymore...
    got my vampires from Y618... last went there on Mon and they sold out on the vampires too sighz sad as I'm looking for another 3 pairs

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Managed to breed my vampire crab, and have been seeing baby crabs for 2 weeks . This happened after I seperated the female into a 1 ft tank, that was 3 months or more! I guess she was holding the sperm and only started producing eggs recently. I feed the baby crabs powdered fish food.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

shaihulud...do u sell the vampire crabs??

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

They are still very tiny, so I shifted the female crab to the main tank to reduce predation. I think needs to be larger and to survive before thoughts of selling them. 8 crabs last count, but propably many more hiding, can see tiny moults in the water part.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Heres how small they still are, only snapped that a few minutes ago.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Shaihulud, still tiny. Can't see anything even with your circles. Interested in 2 pairs (male and female) if you should consider selling some off when ready.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

whats the survival rate of adult vampire crab

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi guys i just got a bi-colour vampire crab 3 days ago i feed him ocean free crustanourish but he is always hiding what can i do to get him out,oh and i am gonna gat 1 female for him just to keep him company,my tank doesnt have any filtration but weekly water change is carried out,may i kow any tips on how to care for them oh his tankhas both land and water and is it okay if chase him out from the spot he hides in?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Germany

Hi crabby,

that is perfectly normal, crabs are flight animals. They nearly always hide and come out in the dusk or night for foraging. If You chase the crabs out of their hiding places it stresses them of course. So You shouldn't do that alle the time.

How big is Your tank? Weekly water change is possible only in quite big water parts.
    Cheerio, BEASTIE ;-)

CRABS, Crayfish, Shrimp, Land hermits, Mussels & Snails, Dragons, Snakes and more in some 40 tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I seldom see my vampire crabs as well, and there are 4 adults at least in a 1x1 ft tank! The tank is strongly lit however, I use soil for the land substrates, some old aquarium soil, they dig many holes in it. I never changed the water, no filter or pump either. Some of my crabs are 3rd generation already living inside. this time the babies are doing much better than before.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and he will drink beer while getting sunburnt.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi thanks for the reply just 1 more question is spraying mist on him stress him as the corner he normally stay at has java moss above the water level so does spraying water at him stress him out?oh and his tank is 19cm in length,11cm in breadth,14cm in height is it too small he looks ok in his current tank

Feedback Score
    Country
    Germany

Hi Crabby, you can spray at him, that's ok. 19 cm length is very small – normally we advise some 30 x 30 cm for a group of 2 to 4 Geosesarma crabs, when the tank has two levels inside. So I would ask You to think if you maybe can get something bigger in the future. For a while it is no problem though, but Geosesarma species are social animals and should be kept in a group. So 1 or 2 females would be the least You should get Your little guy.
    Cheerio, BEASTIE ;-)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi thanks for the reply but can u share some tips on how to choose a healthy female crab.thanks alot

Feedback Score
    Country
    Germany

Hi crabby, uh, not really, hard to see. Look that it flees agile and does not sem to be apathic. If it once is on Your hand it may be that it sits there comfortably but else it should try to flee and hide. If it does not try to run away that might be no good sign. If a leg or pincer is missing that doesn't matter usually because it grows back. If You see that it feeds that would be another good sign.
    Cheerio, BEASTIE ;-)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hi thanks for the reply

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Ahhhhh! Help my male vampire crab is not eating what has happen i bought him a female crab today so that they could mate please help i dont want a dead crab

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Not to worry, they can not eat for a long time. I advise placing food near his hiding spot in the evening and reducing interaction. remove food if uneaten on next day. Btw my I see baby crabs again, one of my crabs must have just given birth. They really are quite prolific and tough when stabilized. I advise adding some microfauna into the tank such as springtails, woodlice etc. They feed on leftover food and the crabs can eat them.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and he will drink beer while getting sunburnt.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Help!!!!! Please i think my female is sick she is having some wierd milkish white patches on her leg and i saw her spending all her time in the water it is either theres no place for her to hide but i have a flower pot and i even dig a opening under the flower pot for her however i always see the male in there not her is he territorial,and is my female sick,should i seperate her?please reply thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast