1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

fish bought from lfs died few hours later in tank :(

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Bought 2 golden zebra loach from c328 last night. When I got home, i put the plastic bag in the tank to let the fish aclimatise for about 1 hour then i introduce the fish into the tank.

However 2 hours later, I notice one of the zebra loach acting funny then went belly up. the other was swimming fine.

Is there anyway to ask for refund or get another fish from the LFS in this kind of situation?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: fish bought from lfs died few hours later in tank :(

you put the plastic bag in the tank is to aclimatise the temperature. Did you also introduce your tank water to the bag slowly?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

There could be problem with your existing water also. Share with us your tank setup, temperature and the type of fishes in it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

One of the golden zebra loach still swimming around happily and all my other fishes are fine. So I doubt there is a problem with the water.

I bought 4 rummynose and 1 was dead after a few hours too.

I suspect the death of my golden zebra loach could be due to injury caused by other fish in the tank cos i saw some small bruises on it's body. I guess this is the most likely cause.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by minute_me View Post
    One of the golden zebra loach still swimming around happily and all my other fishes are fine. So I doubt there is a problem with the water.

I bought 4 rummynose and 1 was dead after a few hours too.

I suspect the death of my golden zebra loach could be due to injury caused by other fish in the tank cos i saw some small bruises on it's body. I guess this is the most likely cause.
    Loach and Rummy Nose dead....neither species in your tank are that aggressive.

How old is your tank?

Have you tested the water?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Likely PH shock. Next time punch holes when you float the bag to mix water or do the drip method or pour the bag into a pail and mix with tank water gradually.
    Suckerfish no eat poo poo.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I would caution against pin-pointing specific causes without testing the different bodies of water. It leads newbies to focus only on one issue when many other things are just as likely to have been the cause.

In this case, most of us will agree it is most likely due to differences in the water chemistry, including pH.

As advised above, gradually introduce water from the tank into the bag before transferring the fish into the tank. I usually add about 20% to the bag every 5 to 10 minutes until there is a 50-50 mix.

Below is the REALLY paranoid solution. Something I thought of, but have never practised.
    For the truly paranoid person, or very sensitive fish, save half the bag water in a separate container. Observer the fishes in the bag as you acclimatise them. If they start to act strange or sickly, transfer the fish (only) to the saved water. Then restart the acclimatisation with water from the bag, but much slower. Then water from the tank.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Another of my rummynose died. the tail is gone when i saw it floating on the surface.

Ok. Here are the fishes in my tank.
    6 harlequins rasbora, 2 rummynose (used to be 4 2 days ago), 4 white cloud mountain, 1 female betta, 2 white ghost shrimp, 1 7cm black ghost knife, 1 botia rostrata(gloden zebra loach?)(1 died 2hrs inside tank), 9 corys (1 sterbai, 4 leopard, 2 panda , 1 albino), 1 sae.

Most of them relatively small except the black ghost. Is it overcrowded? I think it's 50% top fish and 50% bottom feeder.

white cloud mountains are supposed to be peaceful community fish but I see some of them (esp the female one) chasing my rummynose and harlequins around.

so could the rummynose that died yesterday be due to stress or injury cause by the chasing white cloud? or could it be attacked by the black ghost because i read online that it could be aggressive. but then i seldom see the black ghost out of it's "cave" when the light is on.

when fish dies one by one, what could be most likely cause? if it's due to water chemistry, all of the same species should be affected.

Guess I have to change the way I introduce fish into the tank next time as well.

Oh by the way, it's not a new tank. It has been inhabited by other fishes before like the cory, black ghost and female betta . no dead fish until i put in the zebra loach and rummynose (latest addition to the tank)
    Last edited by minute_me; 1st Oct 2009 at 13:13.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Maybe it died due to stress, very common scenario when acclimatizing fishes.
    Also, up to now, we still haven't know the size of your tank.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi bro, it is advisable to put your new fish into a quarantine tank first for a few days to monitor for any potential sickness, bacteria infections and parasites, and at the same time let them settle down from the stress of transportation.

BTW, I think it is not really good to add the water from the fish bag into the fish tank. It is bad enough for the new fish to die, it will be even worst if the whole tank got affected because of it.

Warmest Regards from Merviso aka Merv Soh
    [ my vivarium: 2012, 2010, 2009 & 2007]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i'm a dreamer... a dreamer living in the lost city of moonlight.....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Rummy nose will have a bright red nose when the water condition is good. A lot of bro here put in the rummy nose as a guide to gauge the water condition. I dun think the fish is stress at all. Most likely is the water.... care to share your water parameters? especially the PH, GH, KH, nitrite and nitrate level. if can get the ammonia will be even better.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

ok the tank size is 60 by 30 by 36 cm. i will some pics when i have time.

the nose of the rummynose is very red. so i guess there is nothing wrong with the water. again I don't think there is anything wrong with the water, otherwise all the fish of the same species should die together, not one by one. an my other fish would show signs of stress. my harlequin rasbora which i introduced at the same time as the golden zebra loach is fine. none missing. maybe they swam faster so not easily attacked by other fish. just my observation.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Just now found 1 leoapard cory dead and 1 albino cory missing. It was still fine in the morning. damn sad. feel like giving up this hobby. Not sure if the black knife ghost fish is the culprit as it's the largest fish in the tank and it can electrocute other fish.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

i think you might have found the answer yourself already

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I think the ghost fish would most likely be the cause of the death of my fishes. hmmm.....I notice the blacknife would alternate between his two caves, one on the left and one on the right. the fishes that died could be in it's path when it swam across to the other "cave" . there are reports that black ghost are quite friendly. Anyone have any experience with this fish?

here's a shot of my tank.

Fishes dying one by one....like in some horror ghost movie...

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Get the Blacknife fish out of there if the rummynoses have red noses the water is O.K. but that is a predatory fish and not a community fish no matter what the size it will eat live small fish.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Sorry, I digress for a while. I dun think in singapore u need to make up for the difference in temperature right? in door and out door almost the same.