Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Exclamation About peats.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I am using ADA aquasoil and i still having high ph of 7.2, might be the rocks in my tank that is the problem. But after 50% water change still the same. So planning to get sera super peat to help lower my ph to around 6.5. My concern now is if i put the peat in my filter slowly and when i get the ph i want, will the ph still drop because of the peat or the ph will maintain there?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: About peats.

Quote Originally Posted by Tian85 View Post
    I am using ADA aquasoil and i still having high ph of 7.2, might be the rocks in my tank that is the problem. But after 50% water change still the same. So planning to get sera super peat to help lower my ph to around 6.5. My concern now is if i put the peat in my filter slowly and when i get the ph i want, will the ph still drop because of the peat or the ph will maintain there?
    Hi,

Please check that your rocks do not react with low pH, or there is any filter media that will dissolve in acidic water. Else any attempt to drop the pH further will only accelerate the breakdown, leaching more +ve ions in the water.

The cycle continues, pH will continue to rise as more ions are leaching out. With the pH buffering properties of ADA soil, there is something causing a massive pH fluctuation to "forcefully" raise the pH.

No further doubts, but the pH meter than you are using is calibrated right?

Cheers

Thio

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Calibrate with ph7 solution already. I have done check with ph pen and ph strips both show 7.2. My filter media contain ceramic rings, ADA bio rio and ehiem bio mech. Heard that ceramic ring will increase ph, is this true?

i have a granite rock that has a lot of white rock in it, is that limestone and casuing the ph to go up??
    Last edited by Tian85; 1st Oct 2009 at 18:05.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

i think we have the same issue

after removing all the ada stones, i did water change twice, 25% and 30%
    using aged water soak with 400g of peat, ph at 5.9
    the tank ph drop to 6.7 but slowly climb back to 7.2 after a day

right now i use 100g of peat as my media and added a driftwood
    ph drop to 6.9, hopefully it will not go back to 7.2 again

cheers

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Going to add 200g of sera super peat and see how it goes.
    Last edited by Tian85; 2nd Oct 2009 at 13:40.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Seems that my rock are leaching mineral into the water. Try adding peat in but in 1day the ph rocket to 6.5 to 7.5. Is there a better way or how long will the leaching last as the last resort will be tearing down my rockscap which i am not willing to as i have at least 6 big piece of rocks and i don't know which is leaching. Last resort will be changing it to bog wood.