Country
    Singapore

Bumble Bee Snails

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

I have recently changed the landscape of my 3ft tank due to algae "flooding" in the previous.

After one day, I bought 10 bumble bee snails and intro them into the community of 10 cardinal tetras and 10 yamoto shrimps. However, after I poured the snails into the tank, they appeared to be motionless. Some of them are 'overturn", not moving at all even till the next morning.

The rest of the fishes and shrimps are ok even though I set the chiller at 25C.

What could be the problems of these snails? Are they dead? Anyone please help.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Myanmar

Re: Bumble Bee Snails

Yo dude, I think bumble bee snails are from marine. Not freshwater. I kept them when I've my marine tank. They are very shy and you can't see them often. Mine always hide inside the live rocks. May be you have the different kind. See more info for them here - http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/SwSnails/BumbleBee.php

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

AquaZinYaw,

There is a fresh water one as well.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by melc View Post
    Hi all,

I have recently changed the landscape of my 3ft tank due to algae "flooding" in the previous.

After one day, I bought 10 bumble bee snails and intro them into the community of 10 cardinal tetras and 10 yamoto shrimps. However, after I poured the snails into the tank, they appeared to be motionless. Some of them are 'overturn", not moving at all even till the next morning.

The rest of the fishes and shrimps are ok even though I set the chiller at 25C.

What could be the problems of these snails? Are they dead? Anyone please help.
    Yes, probably dead. Mine started moving straight away.

Did you acclimatise them? Also, did you literally pour them into the tank? Personally, I never do that. Never know what micro organisms are in the fish shop water. Plus, for fishes or shrimp, they could have poo-ed into the bag and all that will become extra ammonia in your tank.

I would acclimatise the livestock before introducing into the tank. I would also catch them or pour them into a net and transfer to the tank. Never pour the whole bag in.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Myanmar

Quote Originally Posted by vinz View Post
    There is a fresh water one as well.
    really? Sorry for my ignorance, bro. Care to share me a pic? I always thought that those bumble bee snails are from marine or brackish like bumble bee gobies.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

don't pour them into the tank; this will give them a shock. Use a tweezer and put them in one by one. A good idea to ensure you get healthy shelled bumblebees is to observe their behaviour and apperance at LFS. An active one without broken feelers will definitely be priority. As for capsized without motion ones or with broken feelers, give them a pass. Those are most likely at grave's entrance.

Take your time to pick.