Country
    Singapore

Gel 'growth' on wood - help

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

I recently included a small piece of wood with Moss tied to the ends of the branches to make it 'tree-like'. However, after abt 2 wks, there is a 'gel-like' substance that is on the "cracks" (fork bet branches and base of wood-tied to rock to sink it).

What is this gel, and how do I prevent it?

My tank is a low-tech 2ft with Shrimps, some tetras and simple plants. Pls help. I'm thinking of transfering this wood into my nano (shrimp only) tank, but don't want to introduce anything foreign into the new tank.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Gel 'growth' on wood - help

is it by visual or feel that u said is like gel? If by feel, which is a bit soapy, it could be snails' eggs? Do u have rampant snails issue in ur tank? If by visual, what I can think of is fungus.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by hann View Post
    is it by visual or feel that u said is like gel? If by feel, which is a bit soapy, it could be snails' eggs? Do u have rampant snails issue in ur tank? If by visual, what I can think of is fungus.
    Its transparent, and looks like glue (eg those made from starch but transparent). It doesn't feel very soapy, but then again, I've had a major outbreak of snails lately. Could be it. Doesn't look like fungus (I'm stereo typing that fungus must be green and slimmy ).

Guess I'll start by tackling the snail problem to see if it goes away. Noticed my snails outbreak after my last SAE died 'mysteriously'.. don't have much of an algae problem though (it's not algae-free, but 'under control').

Do let me know what else I should do/look into beside getting some snail killers.
    Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Solution1 Just leave it there, it should disappear by itself in abt 2-3 weeks (This is what i did)

Solution 2 Take out the wood, boil it and put back it tank.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

the gel thing is from the bogwood itself. Its some kinda of sap from the bogwood and as far as I know its harmless to fish or shrimps so you can either leave it and it will slowly disappear, or you could manually remove.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

it's fungus. Fungus is white and slimy. It will go away after some time. If cannot wait buy yamato shrimp. Will eat it all up for you!

I have had this problem with water logged wood I collected from local rivers and found the best thing to do is to take the wood out and scrub it well using a still bristle brush and straight house holdbleach. Let the would sit an hour then rinse under running fresh water and scrub with the cleaned brush. If the pieces are too large to place in a 5 gal bucket of water with a strong dechlorine remover/water conditioner then scrub it with the brush again using the strong solution of chlorine neutalizer then a final rinse after letting it sit 10 minutes while all traces of chlorine is neutralized.
    Your wood will lighten up and look very nice after you finish this cleaning and disinfection and the mold should not reappear.
    Old fish breeder. SA Dwarf Cichlids, Hypancistrus sp L260, L333 and Peckoltia L134 breeder. Also Sturisoma, Dwarf Corydoras spp, wild Discus and Killiefish. Like breeding Characins and wild Betta spp too.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks guys. Will try:

1. leaving it for another week to see what happens. Hope it disappears.

if not:

2. cleaning and then boiling it/scrubbing with detergent?.. eh, I've already tied Moss onto it, and it's starting to grow nicely..

Will also try the Halena snails to see if it goes away after I rid the pesky outbreak!

Thanks again!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I had some weird white goo like substance come out from everywhere the wood was cut.

Went away after a few weeks without much incident.