Images
    Country
    Singapore

DIY PL screw-in bulbs??

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Greetings, I am doing a feasiblity studies to DIY a 3ft PL light for my tank. Instead of using a Ballast and the usual PL tube, I would like to use those screw-in PL bulbs...

Screw-in PL bulb of 30w and a Screw-in light holder will cost less and no need Ext. ballast! I use these 30W Daylight bulb in my toilet! But I will purchase a circuit breaker for overload prevention. 90W = Current * 240V therefore Current = 375 mAmp...

1. A 3ft Aircon Case or the sewage PVC pipe saw to half ring (roughly Dia 5inch will be used).

2. Aluminum Foil will be used to cover the internal, acting as a reflector.

3. Aluminum L-Bracket will be used to secure the Light holder to the case. Planning to install about 3 sets in there, total 90W, adding on to my 50W FL

4. Circuit breaker will be installed nearest to the power socket.

What you guys think?
    Baby Steel!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    This 30W PL is suppose to cover a general direction with the screw portion upward. It will take up lots of space. If you have it lying to its side, lots of light will be wasted, over-lapping. I believe the built in ballast will generate heat. No harm trying if temperature is not the problem. Do let us know how it turned out.

Turaco.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    aluminium foil may not work well as a reflector. it is quite a task to get it fixed into your hood with no crinkle. getting a light reflector will save you a lot of hassle.

i doubt you can find a circuit breaker with a current limit of 375mamp. you can change the fuse on the light plug to a lower amperage rating. an elcb would be advisable.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Will be out tomolo to scout for parts.
    1. Osram PL Bulb cost a bomb! See whether Forever Closing Down sale have any thing to offer..

2. tawauboy: "aluminium foil may not work well as a reflector". Cost is high to buy an actual reflector. Added up might surpass a new light set from Nature Aquarium!

3. tawauboy: "circuit breaker with a current limit of 375mamp" I going to scrap the Curcuit breaker, increase cost! Using AC fuse of that range 500mA (if there is such a rating). So if there is a current leak or short circuit, fuse blow!

4. I did a rough $$$ estimation. seems like the whole thing cost so near to a brand new set from N. Aquarium. Therefore is not economical... Anyway scout around and see how!
    Baby Steel!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    diy lights may not be a cost effective. you will not be able to come close to the bulk purchase price that light manufacturers get. what you get is satisfaction from diy and may be some customisation that you want.

a light reflector will set you back about $15.

as for fuse, you'll need a slightly higher a rating. when lights are switched on, the start current will be higher than the operating current. so a 3amp fuse should be okay.

and fuse don't blow if there is a current leak only short circuit.

happy hunting for your lights.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    A fuse or a CB is not really needed. The 13A fuse in your 3 pin plug is enough for short circuit or overload protection.

Would not recomend using screw on (self ballasted) PL tubes. It will experience much loss and also cast strong shadows in your tank.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    found that The whole setup not economically viable.. After Sweating still need to fork out $$$ for lights which is quite ex! $10++. On top of all that, it will look ugly!
    Baby Steel!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    true... previously, lighting was quite expensive and that's why many would DIY. Nowadays, the market has stocked up lots of lighting fixtures whic are more affordable.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Did my DIY light liao! but not PL...

I took a PVD pipe (courtesy of contractor doing reno at void deck) cut it in half. Bought:
    TWO set of prefixed E-ballast for 30W or 3ft @ $20.
    TWO 3ft Osram 30W daylight tubes @ $7
    Screw them all together! 3ft Dual FL light with independent switch at $27...

Problem
    No reflector!
    3ft tube is the exact same size as my tank, therefore the FL tube is resting on the tank!
    Abit ugly but I hide it behind my other lights so can't see!
    Baby Steel!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Lim, do u know how much does a light cost at NA? dun have the time to go down yet, so check with u.