Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Beware! Underwater Caterpillar??!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Beware! Underwater Caterpillar??!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi bros,

Beware! Underwater Caterpillar??!

I thought this would be good to share, I was shrimp watching my planted shrimp tank just recently and i noticed that there was this "debris" (like a piece of leaf) among the leaves of my japonica plant. Initially, i did not fish it out as i thought it looked quite natural. Lo and behold, when i was observing the tank, something green, long and hairy suddenly popped out from this "leaf" actually it looks like a spring onion plant, you will understand when you see the pics. Its a underwater caterpillar!! I have not come across one before in my 5 months of this hobby and it sure gave me a shock and the shivers!

I have no idea how it got in there from the plants? from a butterfly?!? haha. Anyone came across this pesky underwater caterpillar before? (ate one bunch of my japonica) Can someone please help me to ID it and does it mean if there is one means there are more in my tank??

help needed..Thanks!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Beware! Underwater Caterpillar??!

That's not a caterpillar. If it made a home from the plant leaf, it is a caddisfly larva. I cannot tell you the proper ID, but you got one funky new pet there.

It is possible that you might have another. They feed on algae and plants, and some species will eat other insects. They need good aeration so if you keep that one permanently in that tub, it will probably die.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan

Thanks stormhawk...

green palette.. you can refer to a thread called "bugs you may encounter" or something like that to find out more.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

thanks for the replies..

stormhawk: actually i do not have a plant that looks like the one that it has made a home out of..so i'm also not sure how that came about. I shall research more on the caddisfly to see if it is a fit =) thanks!

ranmasatome: may i know where i can find that link? thanks..

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ranmasatome View Post
    Thanks stormhawk...

green palette.. you can refer to a thread called "bugs you may encounter" or something like that to find out more.

Hi ranmasatome,

thanks.. i found the thread in the search field =)