Singapore

is it necessary 3w/gallon??

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi

is it necesaary for 3w/gallons???

my tank is 4x1.5x1.5 feet and currently having 4x36w of PL lighting, some how the coverage seems to be not spread evenly and this work out to be only 2plus watts/gallon and also my foregroung plants are not growing well!!!

would appreciate the advise:-

1) if 1 increase another 2x36w will it promotes any algae problems or others un foreseen problem?? cos will be slightly more that 3 w/gallons
    2) do you guy have the same problem that the light not spread evenly throught out the tank??

thanks for any reply

chan

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Likchan,

Remember me? I'm the one who took the E.Barthii from you. Anyhow, your tank's specs is like me. I have same amount of light and tank. 24 litres with 4x36watts light.

At the moment, most plants are doing well...And even the E.Barthii is throwing new leaves which are bronze in colour. Anyhow, IMHO...not necessary insufficient lights...You may wish to check your Carbon Dioxide level, nutrients level, etc. Well, the saggs are everywhere...

More light is useless, if plants are not utilizing the extra light to make food due to lack of co2, minerals, etc.. then the extra lights goes to algae.

Juz my 2 sens...
    Check out Wynx' Blog
    Check out Wynx' Gallery
    When fate hands you a lemon, make lemonade.
    Dale Carnegie
    "Who cannot love Her smallest things cannot stand in front of Nature" 隆あまの 

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    bro thanks for the reply

currently co2 at 1bps and weekly dose of potassium, magnesium and iron & trace element after water 10% water change, however not doing any test at all so no infos.

very tempted to get another 2x36w but if not really necessary then can save money!!!!

actually all plant doing quite well except for a bad experience with glosso and ricca, corkscrew at the size of tank not receiving sufficient due to the bad design of the lightings fixtures,

thanks for the reply

chan

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Likchan,

The best way to measure your CO2 is via pH and KH values. However, I'm pretty sure 1 bps looks too low for a 4 ft tank. Do invest in a few test kits.

Fix your CO2 first, before you think about adding more lights.

The consensus at the moment, in the absence of concrete answers, is that healthy plants = less algae. So if you increase your lights, you just have to provide enough CO2, other fertilisers and acceptable environment for the plants to grow healthily, anf they were settle the algae for you.

But I stress again, get a few test kits and settle your CO2 problem first.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yep, I think most ppl do not get an even spread of light, there will always be dark corners created by braces, light placement, etc. Just plan your plant layout accordingly.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

3wpg is required by some plants but that does not mean all tanks should have that amount of light. Stonger light leads to higher maintenenace and invites algae if not blanced properly.

Before you invest in more light I would suggest more testing and a firm understanding of your fert regiment. The ferts are part of the balance. They could be the problem now and adding more light will only make the situation worse. If they are in balance then more light should help growth but it must be accompanied by adjustments to your fert regimen.

James Hoftiezer

Tank Journal - Aquascape ( Latest / Archive )
    Tank Journal - Parts and Construction ( Latest / Archive )
    James Hoftiezer

Tank Journal - Aquascape ( Latest / Archive )
    Tank Journal - Parts and Construction ( Latest / Archive )

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    A small suggestion, position the light on those light loving plants. Many high light plants actually looks better (colour and texture) in lower light condition, though they will be thinner.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks all the bro for yr warmest advice!!!

1) how costly is the test kit?? and what brand ?? is the most economical??
    2) if 1bps is too low any suggestion how many ?? of course it depends on the balance again then come back to the square one to have a test kit!!!

just modify my light to e-ballast and shifted it to the side and now slightly more evenly lighted up.
    (nature still selling the 2x36w e-ballast at S$20.00 much more cheaper than the electrical shop near my house which only have 2x20w and selling at S$25.00 already!!!)

will try to adjust the CO2 injection and monitor

*(dont know why all my rosy and cherry barbs commit suicide yesterday (6 of them), but the rest like neon, cardinals, SAE, red eye tetra,rummy nose still ok, cannot figure out why???

thanks again

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    "how costly is the test kit?? and what brand ?? is the most economical??quot;
    If you are looking for PH and KH test kit, they are the low cost test kits due to high demand (=>mass sales). Try getting the Aquarium Pharmaceutical brand for 3 reasons:
    1) biggest bottle (I think 2 times the volume of other brand)
    2) good price (I think $7 each)
    3) accurate and easy to read results

“dont know why all my rosy and cherry barbs commit suicide yesterday”
    They are hoping to land up in a bigger tank.[]