Country
    Singapore

where to get the brightest light set for a 1 footer

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi ,

Can one know where can i get a more brighter and powerful light set for my nano tank. currently i'm running on a 18W PL on my 30X16X20 nano

Cheers
    Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: where to get the brightest light set for a 1 footer

Can try Illummax PL light from mizuworld.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

thumbs up for illummax pl... my glosso lawn is kissing the soil.
    I love L minnows - A. Halik
    betta• channoides | edithae | pugnax | rubra | uberis

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

PL light is not good . Maybe u need to change it after used some times!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by dwarflala View Post
    thumbs up for illummax pl... my glosso lawn is kissing the soil.
    Hi bro, does it heat up your water very fast? What is your tank size ?
    I'm wondering the space gab between the light cover and the water surface is it spacious enough for a fly in between

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I think PL bulbs are good. They provide more lighting for smaller tanks compared to flouerecent bulbs and need to be changed yearly with flourecent tubes loose intensity after half a year.
    Cheers,
    JJ

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by nicken View Post
    Hi bro, does it heat up your water very fast? What is your tank size ?
    I'm wondering the space gab between the light cover and the water surface is it spacious enough for a fly in between
    temperature is around 29-31. depending on weather... space wise, height from top rim of tank to base of light is 5.1cm.

The light can be flipped up. Just make sure you get the small plastic slot-in piece so that the light can rest on it when you flip it up. I tighten the screws of the flap so that it can hold the light upright enough without the plastic slot-in rest piece.
    I love L minnows - A. Halik
    betta• channoides | edithae | pugnax | rubra | uberis

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Depends on your definition of bright light.

Here are some lights:
    1. FL Light it can be 4 tubes in one which will heat up if your distance between light and water surface is too close. FL with 2 tubes would cover nicely.

2. PL Light low wattage 2 tubes, this should cover nicely, low electricity consumption, low wattage but you have to prepare to change the tube 1 year+ down the road.

3. T5 can be considered if you do not mind the heat.

4. A simple PL light coupled with a head led light.
    PL I do not think I have to elaborate, but the interesting point here is the head led light. This is commonly found in supermarket (including small mart like 7-11, etc), hardware store (more common), used to fixed on the head for light-less environment, with some modifications, you can achive the brightness you need easily. Since it is running on battery power, you can consider have 8 x rechargeable with one charger. 4 is needed, 4 will be charging so that you can change them at will instead of waiting.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Whale View Post
    Depends on your definition of bright light.

4. A simple PL light coupled with a head led light.
    PL I do not think I have to elaborate, but the interesting point here is the head led light. This is commonly found in supermarket (including small mart like 7-11, etc), hardware store (more common), used to fixed on the head for light-less environment, with some modifications, you can achive the brightness you need easily. Since it is running on battery power, you can consider have 8 x rechargeable with one charger. 4 is needed, 4 will be charging so that you can change them at will instead of waiting.
    This sound like a lot of work involve in the changing the rechargeable battery however the head Led light is sufficient for the plants ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

my tank size is 30x16x20
    2.29 Gallon , how to calculate the 3 watt per gal ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

This sound like a lot of work involve in the changing the rechargeable battery however the head Led light is sufficient for the plants ?
    I do not have the device to measure the light, so can't tell you but if you interested you can read Operation Maximus thread where I am building the tank with the LED Light.

LED Light $28 with adaptor head, connect to 12V Power adaptor. So it is running on electricity. Solar project failed in the sense that because of location, there isn't much sunlight to convert to DC to propelle the motor.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

my tank size is 30x16x20
    2.29 Gallon , how to calculate the 3 watt per gal ?
    I will leave some fun for you. Google search "watt per gallon", hee hee, the more you read, the more you will realise it is not entirely on this equation, just a rough guide only.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

nicken, you might want to consider this light set:

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...515#post505515

The watt per gallon rule is just a rough idea, not something you should follow wholeheartedly. Too much light is pointless no? If you wanted a lot of light, just place the tank in a spot where it gets some sunlight during the day. Works for me at least.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Stormy,
    Just saw a 4 tube, dunno it's PL or FL, 39W x 4 (10k). Should be 3ft thingy. Look impressive but the tank comes with chiller. Tempting...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Probably PL I guess. 4 x 39 W... painful on the electricity bill......

As for my tank, I think it's running on 3 x 39W T5 FL bulbs I think. I don't use the middle bulb since it's a pinkish light. Usually running on just 2 x 39W bulbs. So far my plants are doing fine in my 4 footer.

I have a small Kotobuki StepLight that's probably running on an 18W PL lamp. Works fine for a 1 foot tank. It was fairly bright that I could grow some plants in there with little issues.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I am still scouting on possible lights. Will keep the current PL Lights, LED Lights I will remove the background and shift it to the back of the tank, should look spectacular later on. Might work out to 3-5wpg in the end depending on selection. Will start shifting and tying this weekend.

Plants will start moving over from main tank, downgrade 5rm. flat to 4rm flat. ha ha...should be fun.

CO2 tank already sent to BioTope for topping. Hence temporary just run the DIY ones first.

Hey Nicken, you have not said whether your PL Tube is changeable or not like 2 pins on each side. If it is changeable, you just need to scout and change the tubes only.
    Last edited by Blue Whale; 23rd Dec 2009 at 21:23.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Update as per Christmas Eve
    39Wx2 (78w) T5 for 2ft is currently out of stock at Aqua Star Trading at the moment. Just went there.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Whale View Post
    I am still scouting on possible lights. Will keep the current PL Lights, LED Lights I will remove the background and shift it to the back of the tank, should look spectacular later on. Might work out to 3-5wpg in the end depending on selection. Will start shifting and tying this weekend.

Plants will start moving over from main tank, downgrade 5rm. flat to 4rm flat. ha ha...should be fun.

CO2 tank already sent to BioTope for topping. Hence temporary just run the DIY ones first.

Hey Nicken, you have not said whether your PL Tube is changeable or not like 2 pins on each side. If it is changeable, you just need to scout and change the tubes only.

Hi , my Pl tube is changeable its 2 pin on each side

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    nicken, you might want to consider this light set:

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...515#post505515

The watt per gallon rule is just a rough idea, not something you should follow wholeheartedly. Too much light is pointless no? If you wanted a lot of light, just place the tank in a spot where it gets some sunlight during the day. Works for me at least.
    i have saw this light set when i pass by the shop. the light don't seems powerful and bright to me

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi , my Pl tube is changeable its 2 pin on each side
    Actually I did ask around, according to experience uncles, they said that it does not work that way. Problem is the ballast that is giving the high output thingy. So changing the tube won't work. Apologies, my bad.

Tell you what, alternate plan is to keep/use the existing one. But addon either 55w x2 or 29w x2 T5 light. =) I know you be still doing wpg calculation so I am not that worry for you. Lights will fail along the way after 1-2 years, so still okay to have a backup one which will come in handy. It is not junk but if you plan to keep it, suggest you use old newspaper and scotch tape the side before putting into the storeroom. When you need to use it, you just need to tear everything apart.

Aqua Star Trading ran out of High power T5, BioTope there have limited selection. I usually don't go Y618, hence you have to ask around. I be going to C328 to check them out instead. If you just need T5 24wx2 maybe you can just call Aqua Star Trading before you go down; They still have lower power T5 for 24w.

Aqua Star Trading 6759 3400.
    BioTope 6363 4168 (Most likely Victor/Thio will be manning)
    Rainbow 6287 3988 (Serangoon if you are interested to go over there, best if you own car)
    Qian Hu 6766 7087 (if you own car)
    Last edited by Blue Whale; 26th Dec 2009 at 09:51.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast