Country
    Singapore

Java Fern problem?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi All,

My Java Fern is turning brown.... but on those brown leaves there are leaves growing out from there. Strange think.... The leave seem to be dead but there are new growths on the leaves.

Is this normal? is this how Java Ferns propagate? Thanks!!

Regards
    Anthony

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Java Fern problem?

Yes, this is normal. You can pluck out the new growth once it reaches a decent size and have some roots and re-tie them onto wood/stones.
    ----------------------------

do not do to others what you will not want done to you!

be kind! =)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

This normally happens when there is a change in water perimeters or introduced into a new tank, no issues really.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Another tip for narrow leaf java fern if you are courageous and patient.

This is what I usually do. I cut off ALL the leaves before i tie the rhizomes to the wood/stones. I would say 90% of the time, the plant will regrow with new fresh bright green leaves if your conditions are good.

You can try with a small portion, if you are successful, I am sure you will be happy with the results.
    ----------------------------

do not do to others what you will not want done to you!

be kind! =)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

haha ok i just took out the leave with the most growth and place it in another container for growing see if it works.

Quote Originally Posted by checkerboard View Post
    Another tip for narrow leaf java fern if you are courageous and patient.

This is what I usually do. I cut off ALL the leaves before i tie the rhizomes to the wood/stones. I would say 90% of the time, the plant will regrow with new fresh bright green leaves if your conditions are good.

You can try with a small portion, if you are successful, I am sure you will be happy with the results.

Hi

I am so cunfused right now, I totaly thought I read somewhere that you could buy java ferns in bulb form, or rhizome form, or whatever, and you just drop the dry bulb thingy in the water and it will eventually grow. Am I insane or does this realy exist? I was on google for hours and I couldn't find anything, I couldn't even find the page that told me that you could get them in bulb form.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Java Fern only comes in rhizome form. Bulb probably more on the Apogoneton species.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi

If i got time i take a pic on how the Java ferns is propagating on my tank. It is just growing a new plant on my leaves. haha. then you will see roots. on the leaf man. Never seen this before as all my Java dies after a few weeks.... now it is sprouting new plantlets every where.... but the leaves of the original purchased is turning brown/ black which is normal i think.

Regards
    Anthony
    Quote Originally Posted by catch me if you can View Post
    Hi

I am so cunfused right now, I totaly thought I read somewhere that you could buy java ferns in bulb form, or rhizome form, or whatever, and you just drop the dry bulb thingy in the water and it will eventually grow. Am I insane or does this realy exist? I was on google for hours and I couldn't find anything, I couldn't even find the page that told me that you could get them in bulb form.
    Last edited by pcfreak; 14th Dec 2009 at 09:29. Reason: typo error