Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Dead panda corydora

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone, one of my 5 corydoras died 3 days after I purchased them. There were no evident marks, ich or redness. The only prominent feature was a moderately long, sticky goo-like thing.

My moderately planted 40g tank also has 8 danios, 3 otocinclus and 3 cherry shrimps. None of them has died so far.

Consequently, I would like to know why my panda corydora died.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Dead panda corydora

A photo of the sticky goo-like thing would help.

You might have gotten a Lernaea infection, commonly called anchorworm.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Unfortunately, I threw the goo thing away.

With that said, how likely is my aquarium the source of the infection?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Zero likelihood I think. They usually infest fish while in the farms or LFS, provided what afflicted your fish was an anchorworm. They have a short life cycle in our climate, so you might have to keep an eye out for any infestation.

Was the goo thing attached to the skin of the dead cory, and did you try to pull it off? Where was it coming out from?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi guys....i just bought 2 leopard cory 2 days ago. One of them just developed pop eye syndrome this morning. Once again, my other fishes are doing fine.

How likely is the pop eye syndrome due to the LFS instead of my tank?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

If your other fish are doing fine, the cory might have gotten the infection back at the LFS.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Okies, if you have dosed the tank with yellow medicine, make sure no charcoal being used in filter including charcoal balls.

Blue med. usually for white spots so in this case, not applicable. White spot more common on tetras. Hope you have isolate your cory by now to another tank. (so call hospital tank) If you have not done so, you might want to do that. Usually keeping a 30cm or 1ft tank, comes in handy for situation like this.

I still have my 1ft tank tuck in into my store room. Have not been using it for 3 years. 3 years ago was help my friend to rear his skinny gold fishes for 3 weeks, ^___^ he was happy to collect his 3 fatty goldies after his holidays.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I'd say start shopping at a different LFS

Jokes aside though, you might want to seriously start considering quarantining new additions or giving them a medicated dip before you introduce them to your tank.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Whale, I do suspect that the yellow powder thing being sold in our LFS is a mix of drugs and antibiotics. It's powerful, I remember, but any disease that isn't cleared by it, always comes back stronger.

Quarantine would be better for any future Corydoras purchases. Take note that when you buy your Pandas, don't buy young ones. Most at the LFS are already stressed, and underfed. If you have to buy them, please pick the ones that are swimming around and rooting for food healthily.

I have a habit that whenever I net a Cory out, I'd hold it in the net and look at the belly. If it's flat or slightly fatter, it's healthy. If it's sunken, I put it back in the tank, no matter how nice it looks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I ran out of yellow medicine, usually comes in bottle liquid form. Since I am keeping tetras, I'd stock more on blue medicine as white spots are more common with tetras. So I am not looking at powder form. Buy wrongly you might end up with sulphur instead..lol. Draw back is of course no charcoal materials nearby in water.

New plants if added are bathe in a pail full of blue med. before being transferred to the main tank. I tried to be careful at times.

I ususally catch fish by hand if possible. Just gentlely scoop up. But for faster ones, no choice, use net lor. Still there are ways to catch fish without an entire pool of water on the floor

Feedback Score
    Country
    India

Best thing to avoid any communicable infections is quarantining. That has kept my losses to the minimum till now. Never add any new fishes till they are placed in a separate tank for atleast couple of weeks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Actually in india, water is much recycled, water are not treated that much, hence there is such a requirement to quarantine. For those who dunno, the water treatment in India is actually very very eco-friendly, water is recycled from human waste. The engineering of this works involves filteration which seperates the clean water into the lake outside the city which supports fish industry. Meaning they get cheap fish due to minimum transportation, at the same time, human waste that drys up get collected as fertilizers. Singapore wise, a lot of processing required as it is more industrialised, still it differs from that of western countries like Britain or US.

Singapore water works treat the water so much until chorine lvl is high. Hence Singaporean need to "de-chorine" the water before being discharged into the fish tank. Elsewhere, some lived in the open, water are collected from rain water, so different parts of the world, the habit will differs according to each of our geo pattern. Water hardness differs as well.

So it is about following our geo pattern, not a right, or wrong thingy here.

Feedback Score
    Country
    India

Blue Whale - You should visit us once to know more about how things are over here
    I use quite a bit of de-chlorinators.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by random2 View Post
    Blue Whale - You should visit us once to know more about how things are over here
    I use quite a bit of de-chlorinators.
    Nah...I am a kampong person, only certain rural condition suits me. I cannot phatom waiting behind a cow thingy which really really really is not my cup of tea. Culturally don't suit me.

But the natural filteration system of India really impress me, 3rd to numeric invention and astrology that is. =) Not so impress with the structure though. The structure that impress me is Cambodia. Climbed up the hill Angkowat...lol

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Angkor did get inspiration from India by the way:

Angkor Wat combines two basic plans of Khmer temple architecture: the temple mountain and the later galleried temple, based on early South Indian Hindu architecture, with key features such as the Jagati.
    From here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angkor_Wat

Water quality differs from country to country. We are lucky in Singapore that we get great drinking water right out from our taps. I remember my gf telling me that in Europe, the tap water is not safe for drinking directly. So they have to boil it.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Stormy, you die die must pull my back leg hor?

Anyway guess where I bought my tank from? at BB! lol.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

For awhile I thought you are joking man. My place is nearly devoid of any decent LFS. Did you go to Bukit Batok East? I remember there were 2, maybe 3 LFS in that area. Only 1 store near me, and I don't go there to get my stuff.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    For awhile I thought you are joking man. My place is nearly devoid of any decent LFS. Did you go to Bukit Batok East? I remember there were 2, maybe 3 LFS in that area. Only 1 store near me, and I don't go there to get my stuff.
    Ave. 6, after u passed the swimming pool, you should see a neighbour hood centre there. Left you see a wet market, inside the wet market you see a small miserable fish shop.

1. Uncle speaks England!
    2. He still got a storeroom behind!

=D

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Oh THAT store. That's the one nearest to me. I know they have tank sets, but nothing to my fancy. They do sell live bloodworm from time to time.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

time to go to your house to plant a bomb.