Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Help with new 1.5 ft tank!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all, I am planning to get a new 1.5 ft tank to replace an old cube i've been using for the past 2 years. If I am not wrong it is the five plan 1.5 ft tank. This is the first time where I will be buying a tank, filter, lights, etc separately so I am still rather clueless. I'll give you an idea of what I am planning so you can better advise me.

Fish: Cories, Blue ram, some schooling fish
    Substrate: White sand or Fine gravel (heard white sand was extremely hard to work with)
    Plants: Amazon sword, java fern, java and various moss

I have some experience with java fern and anubias nana, but thats about it. I am basically looking for low maintenance plants to start off with since I have no experience with maintaining planted tanks. The moss will be tied to driftwood / bogwood. Based off this how powerful of a filter should I get? I am looking for an external filter - my experience with filters hanging inside the tank ruin aesthetics somewhat. However I have heard good things about sponge filters.

Regarding overstocking:In the event that I do overstock, will overfiltering (having 2 filters) help or is my tank simply too small to consider that option?

Lastly I have no idea how powerful of a light I should be using for the plants. Sorry for the trouble! Would appreciate any suggestions / advice thanks!
    Last edited by kailath; 30th Nov 2009 at 06:43.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Help with new 1.5 ft tank!

i can only advise you on the filter. maybe get a eden 501 if there is not budget constraint, you can try HOF if you're on budget. as for light maybe a PL 13w-15w will do.

im still a newbie too.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

1. http://freshaquarium.about.com/libra...y/bla_to_z.htm
    If you are going for Amazon enviro. setup, keep in mind your fish types and vice versa for the plants. You can read up a bit.

2. If you find 1.5ft accessories difficulty to get, then you might wish to consider 2ft.
    Since you live in Yishun, you might just want to drop by AquaTrading which walking distance or about 3-4 bus stops if you take bus from CP...can't remember the bus number. Just go see see look look first.

Fish wise, you can drop by serangoon (Hougang Ave. 2, after Ave.3 around Blk 701 or so), or C328 (Quite far for you). Plant wise perhaps Thomson, BioTope (near Admiralty MRT) or C328.

It depends on you entirely how you want to do it. I'd suggest you to take your time, so long you can get it up before Chinese New Year or 14 Feb 2010. =) Hee!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thank you for the replies!

I got my tank, accessories etc and have set it up. It's been running for almost a week now, still waiting for a few more items. I've attached a picture of it below

Let me know what you think, not the most professional or best looking aquascape but I'm happy with it. Planning on getting a moss wall at the back if possible, left side is also pretty barren and I'm trying to come up with ideas for filling it up.

My HOB filter contains carbon, first time I am using it as a filter media and have heard it is not good for planted tanks, anyone care to verify/explain?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

you might want to re-think about white sand, not easy to take care.

are you planning to inject CO2?

carbon not good for planted because it will absorb nutrient.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

1. =P assume you are not adding more fish, you might have forgotten that fish poo poo too. I agree with Shadow that the whitty are not easy to take care.

2. You might want to consider a surface skimmer. Notice the broken off plants are getting stuck with the filter. (Might be too strong but temperature wise would be slightly lower)

3. Nutrient or food for the plants is really a subject by itself, such as Iron, Trace elements, potassium, etc. Same place as I said at previous post in this thread. btw, the aunties and uncles at Aqua Trading are good salesmen but might not be good advisers, so do read more in this forum to pick up tips so that you don't have to pay tuition fee.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yes have already vaccumed the sand a few times when moving the plants about

Am planning to add quite a few more fish, my betta is in there as I have just moved him from his old tank to this new palace Will do my best to maintain the white sand, dreading the thought of taking the tank apart to change the substrate when it's just started to establish nicely

Not planning to add co2 since it'll be a low-tech tank

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

You want to remove the carbon while your tank is cycling also. It is absorbing ammonia that your BB need to complete the cycle.

Is that a betta I'm seeing in there? hmm what other fauna are you planning to add to this tank?

I'd recommend not trying to overstock any tank at all whenever possible.

Even if you can provide decent water quality with overfiltration, your poor pets won't have the space they need and will be stressed or suffer from stunted growth.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

You could consider a DIY CO2. Since its a low tech tank, just mixing sugar + water + yeast should not cost you much.

Plant food is a must. Look here. http://www.seachem.com/
    Products >> Plant >> Trace element
    Now beside Trace Element, on the right, you'd see Iron, Nitrogen, Potassium. I find Excel optional. Been doing fine all these years with just the 4 of em. Of course there are other people with other suggestions, if they post it you can consider it too.
    Each bottle is about $12-14 but since you lived near Aqua trading, you find yourself getting one of the cheaper price around. Average about 1 year buy once or twice only....assuming you change water about every 3 weeks.

If you are skilled enough, actually don't have to change water that frequently. I dunno if you would have a learning curve there or not. If yes, do prepare to pay some tuition fee. Idea is to observe your tank frequently so that you can spot anything that is not right as soon as possible and seek Help in AQ. =)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Plant fertilizers are not really needed, especially in low-tech, or low-light tanks.

If you're looking for low maintenance plants, you probably won't need to fertilize them much if at all. Any plants that need fertilizers, CO2 and stronger light will most likely not be low maintenance...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by kailath View Post
    Yes have already vaccumed the sand a few times when moving the plants about

Am planning to add quite a few more fish, my betta is in there as I have just moved him from his old tank to this new palace Will do my best to maintain the white sand, dreading the thought of taking the tank apart to change the substrate when it's just started to establish nicely

Not planning to add co2 since it'll be a low-tech tank
    choose your tank mates for the betta wisely bro..some fishes i have kept successfully with a betta are cherry barbs and neon tetras. and you most probably dont want to overstock your tank like what the others have said.. 3 cherry barbs or 5 neon tetras will suffice

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Plant fertilizers are not really needed, especially in low-tech, or low-light tanks.

If you're looking for low maintenance plants, you probably won't need to fertilize them much if at all. Any plants that need fertilizers, CO2 and stronger light will most likely not be low maintenance...
    Hmm...1 ft low tech I also have done before. Mossy mossy and still need plant food. Hence plant food still adviseable but at lower dosage.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Just an update, the tank is coming along nicely. Recently I have been looking for some floating plants, can anyone reccomend a good floating plant that is relatively easy to maintain and where I can get them?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

there are a few types of Salvinia species you can choose from, Amazon frogbit, Hornwort can float if u let it. I would stay away from duckweed, a pain to eradicate....
    I think Colourful or That Aquarium (yishun) should have them.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

You may want to consider Lapis Sand for your substrate. Also, I can't agree more with Kenny. Stay away from duckweed! xD
    Cheers,
    Bernard
    Kept (no more ) Betta persephone, B. miniopinna, B. sp. palangkaraya, B. uberis, B. channoides, B. burdigala
    Pseudepiplatys annulatus, Nannostomus eques