Country
    Singapore

rotala macrandra red & green rotting

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

The older leaves of my red and green rotala macrandra are rotting, any suggestion on how to solve the problem?

Is it because of insufficient CO2 coz I am using DIY CO2?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 4/29/2003 11:57:57 PM

Hi,

The older leaves of my red and green rotala macrandra are rotting, any suggestion on how to solve the problem?

Is it because of insufficient CO2 coz I am using DIY CO2?
    ----------------

since they are 'old' as you mentioned, why not cut and replant the top.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Looks like Nitrogen or phosphorus deficiency....are you dosing KNO3 and KH2PO4? Oops..forgot that macrandra also requires very high light to grow well...no light reaching the bottom leaves?
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My plants are well spread out, using 3x18W for a 2.5 feet tank, should be enough for the plants.

I just started adding KNO3, K2SO4, MgSO4 and Aqua Micro a few days ago to try to see if can solve the problem...

My NO3 reading was 0ppm when I first measured them last week. I hope to raise it to 5ppm slowly....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    You forgot to mention PO4? Are you dosing that as well? If not, it could well be a problem as well as you are limiting everything. DIY CO2 is a big issue here...most never get consistent good CO2 levels with it unless you do recharges very often (can be a hassle). Do keep the CO2 levels between 20-30ppm during the lighting periods.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I've this problem with red macrandra. After dosing K, lower stems/leaves strengthened & stopped rotting. This might apply to u too.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Your plants are not getting enough N, never let NO3 drops below 5ppm. Dose enough KNO3 so that NO3 measures about 5~10ppm of left-over just before your water change. What's your PO4? Unlikely for it to be low because NO3 will probable limit it's uptake. Adding more now will encourage algae. Dosing KNO3 will provide sufficient K.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ok will try to add NO3 until reach 5ppm.

Just a note on how they rot, the edge of the leaves will rot first, leaving the centre stem still rather green or red (depending on the type of plant)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Allo, how you measure 0.5 drops? ml or drops? Monitor your NO3, keep it at 5~10ppm always, if it drops below just before your water change than not enough.

BTW, are they the only plants affected? Are there BBA in the older leaves of the other plants?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    0.5 drop of LUSH-Gro micro (not AQUA micro, sorry) = add 1 extra drop every 2 days. Haha.

Other than the rotalas, I have the following in my tank now: Nymphaea stellata, Ceratophyllum demersum, Crinum calamistratum, Cryptocoryne crispatula var. balansae, Heteranthera zosterifolia, Hydrialla verticillata, Nymphaea micrantha, Nymphaea stellata

The tip of the older stargrass leaves are blackish..., the stem or leaves of my stellata sometimes will melt,

BBA and green spot algae can be found on the glass of the tank, but not on the plants (except crinum which has BBA i think coz the BBA are like black spots only, maybe eaten by my SAE)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ok lah, just as suspected, you have BBA. Your NO3 needs to be increased. Monitor how fast your 5ppm will deplete and increase dosage accordingly so that it does not fall below 5ppm.

Also look after your PO4, too low is no good too. As for Micro, dose enough so that your Fe is 0.25~0.5ppm before water change.

You may want to cut away those affected leaves. If everything is right, you should see improvement in a week time.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Illumbomb, what is all full tank dimension? My suspect is your lights are a bit low to grow macrandra. Once you got your lights going, you can then do the fert regime. DIY CO2 is not very inconsistent which is also one of the contributing factors to poor plant growth..unless you can keep up with bottle changes you might want to think of saving up and investing in a CO2 canister. (Okay, in fact I have 1l (empty) and 2l CO2 tank with JBJ solenoid regulator going for $130 bucks....pretty useless lying around for sometime liao after I got the 5l from Mr Chan)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Geoffrey,

Is Fe level of 0.25-0.5ppm a little too high since the recommended level is 0.1-0.2ppm?

I don't have a Fe test kit [] , any one have any suggestion on roughly how many drop of Lushgro micro should be added per day to a 83L tank with about 40% water change weekly?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Check your email. I just sent you a calculator for Micro and Aqua.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Arrgh!! AQ doesn't allow attachment. Email me and I will reply with attach. BTW, not high.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

Just came home and found out that the few leaves at the growing tip of the rotala macrandra has turned white!

Also, my aponogeton plantlet has put forth a whitish stalk of leaf (already have some stalks of leaves looking a little distorted)....

hmmmm..... calcium deficiency????

I am into my 2nd week of dosing K2SO4, KNO3, MgSO4 and LusGrow Micro

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Did you manage to get your CO2 level up to the 20-30ppm range? Limiting CO2 is as good as limiting everything. NO3 and CO2 have large effects on nutrient uptake...Traces and K moderate and PO4 the least but can limit N uptake if drop too low provided all the rest are in the proper range.