Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Placing aquarium next to wallpaper

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I’m thinking of getting a 3 or 4ft tank, but there’s limited space in my apartment. The only space I have left is against a wall that has wallpaper plastered on it. My wife is adamant that moisture evaporating from the fish tank will ruin the wallpaper and I’m tempted to agree with her. Has anyone placed an aquarium next to wallpaper before? Is it feasible? I tried googling this, but way too many hits on PC/Mac desktop wallpaper. Its impossible to find anything.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Placing aquarium next to wallpaper

is it freshwater? I do not think you willhave a problem. Unless you have spill water yourself, frequently. Or you have an overhead filter, or a filter above water that spills water constantly and it hits your wall.

Most of our aquarium are close to the wall anyway, it does not dirty it.
    Might be a different story if you are keeping saltwater tanks. I cannot confirm, the bros who has a marine tank can better advise on that.

Cheers, Christophe
    ~ Ā q u ã O b s έ Ş Ş i ŏ ŋ ~
    Once you pop, You can't Stop
    http://aquaobsession.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Should be ok as long as there isn't much splashing in your tank, Christophe had identified a few potential sources, don't forget air stones as well.

If you're worried, you can also consider cutting a piece of acrylic to cover the portion of the tank that's closest to the wall, but this would raise your tank temperature though.
    - eric

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

It is feasible, but the only way for you to reduce condensation forming on the wallpaper is to place a cover on the tank. Short of that, you'd have to place a fan blowing directly across the top of the tank, to direct air away from the wall.

It is imperative that you reduce surface tension as much as possible. As bossteck said, if there is splashing, i.e. from an air stone, the water will splash on the wall eventually in tiny droplets which you will easily miss.

Quote Originally Posted by AquaObsession View Post
    Most of our aquarium are close to the wall anyway, it does not dirty it.
    That is because most of us live in homes, where the paint is durable and has anti-mold properties (like those all-weather paint).
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post

It is imperative that you reduce surface tension as much as possible. As bossteck said, if there is splashing, i.e. from an air stone, the water will splash on the wall eventually in tiny droplets which you will easily miss.
    I thought I was supposed to agitate the surface of the water, to encourage more aeration? My powerhead filter manual said to angle the stream towards the water surface to agitate it. In my current 1.5ft tank, that's what I'm doing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Your manual regarding the use of the power head is correct, but if you create more agitation at the water surface for your future 3/4ft tank, the rate of evaporation will increase. I don't think you want that to happen if you want to save your wallpaper. Too much moisture in the air above and around the tank, and the paper might develop mold growth. No joke, I've seen it happen before.

As for aeration, if you have plants in the tank and the CO2 rate is at optimum levels, they will be the aerators in the tank.

Another option is to use a tank with a hood. That reduces any issue with too much condensation. However, the drawback is that the tank will be a lot warmer.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I would gear to what the rest have said but wife? depends. If nagging kind, you might just want to listen to her to spare the "I told you so" later. =)

Alternatively, you can promise her that you would change the wallpaper if it really affects the wall paper. Things get degraded over time, so might be high time to change the mood, change the environment then. Who can promise things wouldn't be spoilt in 10 years time anyway?

I think you have your answer in your heart. Hee.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

I agree with stormhawk, a cover will be much safer no matter what. Try get a tank that comes with a nice top cover. Looks nice, neat and wall paper wont be affected.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Whale View Post
    I would gear to what the rest have said but wife? depends. If nagging kind, you might just want to listen to her to spare the "I told you so" later. =)

Alternatively, you can promise her that you would change the wallpaper if it really affects the wall paper. Things get degraded over time, so might be high time to change the mood, change the environment then. Who can promise things wouldn't be spoilt in 10 years time anyway?

I think you have your answer in your heart. Hee.
    Moving a 4 footer out of the way to replace wall paper is no joke.
    - eric

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

due to the climate here, condensation is inevitable. If possible, do not place it against the wall. Moisture that settle on the wallpaper would seep between the wallpaper and the wall, over time the adhensive properties will loosen.

Defects/repairs & maintenance of building materials is one of the modules I took in NUS and moisture can causes some serious problems.

But you can be assured that it wouldn't happen in a short period, not unless the wallpaper is constantly going to the wet and dry process.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by bossteck View Post
    Moving a 4 footer out of the way to replace wall paper is no joke.
    I know. I got 5 rm flat. heh. 3 ft already wanna kill people already don't say 4ft. This kinda thing need contractor.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

As highlighted in previous posts, I've tried something similar before, but with a smaller tank (2ft) didn't any serious problems, but it was in an air conditioned area (10+ hours a day.)

Splashing from airpumps, returns, water changes will be the most likely problems, not so much evaporation from the tank.