Country
    Singapore

need help with submersible Boyu filter

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everybody,

I am a super newbie. To help my son appreciate science, I tried to gear some guppies. So i bought a very small fishtank about a foot in length and height.

I also bought a Boyu filter that looks something like this :

http://www.boyuaquarium.com/En_Artic...ArticleID=1467

Can I ask if the horizontal bar which spouts water is supposed to be above or below the water line? The pump is certainly below the water line.

It seems like the fishes are not getting enough air and they are floating near the top of the tank inside of swimming around evenly thoughout.

Or do I still need an airpump to circulate the air? is that a way to attach another device to the outlet of the above pump to do this?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you and best regards,

Michael

ps. my first 2 batches of guppies died already..this is my 3rd batch and my son thinks i am a total failure in this.. haha

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: need help with submersible Boyu filter

Quote Originally Posted by mikeang View Post
    Hi everybody,

I am a super newbie. To help my son appreciate science, I tried to gear some guppies. So i bought a very small fishtank about a foot in length and height.

I also bought a Boyu filter that looks something like this :

http://www.boyuaquarium.com/En_Artic...ArticleID=1467

Can I ask if the horizontal bar which spouts water is supposed to be above or below the water line? The pump is certainly below the water line.

It seems like the fishes are not getting enough air and they are floating near the top of the tank inside of swimming around evenly thoughout.

Or do I still need an airpump to circulate the air? is that a way to attach another device to the outlet of the above pump to do this?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you and best regards,

Michael

ps. my first 2 batches of guppies died already..this is my 3rd batch and my son thinks i am a total failure in this.. haha
    Usually the horizon bar is under water. Do get a small air pump for your guppies.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi,

OIC, i thought that filter would be sufficient to generate air.

I am trying to avoid air pump as the humming drives me up the wall. Is there anything i can add to the filter to help get the air in? like a rubber tube btw the rainbar and the pump?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

hi michael, did you cycle your tank before introducing the guppies? in addition, is your tank over stocked?

Why not try a hang over filter?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

The horizontal bar that spouts water is called a rain bar. You can keep it above the water, or at the water line, and direct the output of the rain bar at an angle depending on how you want to circulate the water in the tank.

Depending on the guppies that you are keeping, I don't think fancy guppies will appreciate too much current, especially those with big showy tails. There is no need for an airstone if you keep the water surface sufficiently agitated with the use of the rain bar. The angle is important as well if you want to reduce noise generated.

Or you can just remove the rainbar, and get a venturi attachment that allows you to get some atmospheric air directed into the tank from the Boyu filter.

In a 1 ft tank, I personally would not keep more than a single pair of guppies in there though.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hi,

as at now, I am reduced to just 1 guppy and 3 neon terra.

All the other 8 fishes died today.. I have added an air pump late in the PM but could not save any of the fishes...

I think i will let the rest of the fishes remain in there and run the newly installed air pump for the next 3 days before adding any more fishes.

I give up on guppies... will try other fishes instead.. any recommendation for something hardy.. so that my son can learn a thing or 2 about fishes...

Thanks

Michael

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Don't give up on them (guppies) bro , i believe guppies are very hardy fishes, and you water might be the problem, try cycle you tank/water a week or two before getting more fish (or what you have), believe me last time i keep my guppies in almost all fish poo water none have die (or i might not know), ended up i breeding them, given most of them away and move the rest into my living room tank (uses to keep them outside my house), die, because i didn't cycle my tank.

Try letting your water/air pump/filter run for a week or two with the very last few fishes you have to cycle to tank, might die a few (or all), than try to add a few to it after you complete the cycle. Use a day old tap water will do to do your water changing if you just keeping guppies, always works for me.
    Last edited by Wilfred; 28th Dec 2009 at 23:24.
    20+10 Gallon Tank Link | Light55w(PL) and Light13w(PL) | Normal Filter800L/per.hr | 3xDriftwood

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hello Michael, they probably died from a nitrite spike. Please cycle the tank for a few days if you can, before adding in any new fish. Use this link to calculate and see how many fishes you can stock in your 1 ft tank, and whether filtration is sufficient for the number of fish you have in there.

http://www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php

If you want a hardy fish to keep in a small tank, get a Betta.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi,

Thanks for the link for the calculator.

Based on what I input, it seems that I can only put in small shrimps. Gosh

Thinking of buying a single or two gold fish to try see if it got chance.

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    Hello Michael, they probably died from a nitrite spike. Please cycle the tank for a few days if you can, before adding in any new fish. Use this link to calculate and see how many fishes you can stock in your 1 ft tank, and whether filtration is sufficient for the number of fish you have in there.

http://www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php

If you want a hardy fish to keep in a small tank, get a Betta.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Oh don't keep goldfish in there. They will eventually require a bigger tank and their poop output is no joke. They eat alot and poop alot. My advice is to find smaller fishes, like Boraras or Microrasbora species for your tank. If you want an interesting fish to observe, try keeping a small group of lampeye killie, or those blue eyes aka Pseudomugil species. Small loaches like the dwarf chain loach aka Y. sidthimunki, are great for small tanks if you are not into planting and such.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

opps.. saw your message too late. I bought 2 small goldfishes and put them in yesterday night.

End result, the 2 goldfishes ate my 4 neon terra and made a huge poo mess in the tank. Regret... Can't return the goldfish and can't get rid of it.. so am stuck for the time being...

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    Oh don't keep goldfish in there. They will eventually require a bigger tank and their poop output is no joke. They eat alot and poop alot. My advice is to find smaller fishes, like Boraras or Microrasbora species for your tank. If you want an interesting fish to observe, try keeping a small group of lampeye killie, or those blue eyes aka Pseudomugil species. Small loaches like the dwarf chain loach aka Y. sidthimunki, are great for small tanks if you are not into planting and such.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

What type of Goldfish did you get? Some strains remain small and are fairly OK for small tanks. If you purchased those that have the potential to be tank busters, then you'll have to think of some way to get rid of them, or get a bigger tank.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Do not rush to get the tank running. A properly setup tank will give you endless fun and less dissapointment.