Country
    Singapore

About keeping aged water

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

Can i keep aged water in mineral bottle?
    Do i need to leave the cap open?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: About keeping aged water

Yes you can, and loosely fitting the cap is sufficient to prevent any bugs from going in. The size of your mineral water bottle is important as well. I usually use those big Pokka Green Tea bottles to store my aged water.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

do i need to put anti-chlorine before start aging it?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I do it for myself. I age my water in a jerry can left for about a week. Gives me the peace of mind to know that all chlorine/chloramine is removed way before I use it for my tank.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Sure you can do that... just cap it a little to prevent insects from laying eggs in it.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Anti-chlorine is not required, if you have a bag of activated carbon in the bottle. You can add it if you wish though, but age it as per usual.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

How long do you guys age the water? overnight, a day(24hr) or more?
    Normally i only put for one night only.. is it alright? (no anti-chlorine been uses)

Thank you.
    20+10 Gallon Tank Link | Light55w(PL) and Light13w(PL) | Normal Filter800L/per.hr | 3xDriftwood

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I just use a bucket with a cover and pump air into the water. Use the water as and when I need and also top up when level is low. Didn't use any thing else to treat the water. The water did help me to save my CRS once when I did a terrible mistake to my tank last time.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Like Jimmy, I used to leave mine in a bucket for a week, and use when necessary. Aeration is good but used together with a carbon bag is better. Other option is to just install a tap water filter.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

what's the carbon use for? sorry newbie here.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Carbon is used to absorb impurities from the water, including chlorine and chloramine, among other things. Our tap water is good, but the key problem in it is the residual chloramine. Chlorine usually dissipates as gas when you open the tap, but at times you can smell it.

I think the amount of chlorine/chloramine in the water is higher now than before. Maybe it's due to the NEWater running in our water supply. I can smell distinct "swimming pool smell" on some days and when I drink the water, sometimes there's a weird taste.

The carbon should not be left in there indefinitely though. You should remove it after a period of time to "recharge" it. Just take it out and boil or microwave it to clear out the pores, and throw away the waste water. Dry out the carbon and it should be reusable again.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

storm: is this carbon you're talking about, bagged in a washing machine netted bag type, from C328?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

wah, but the bottles cannot contain much water. Better to use anti-chlorine and no need to age water right?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

just to bring tis up again.

Do you guys think it is safe to use air con condenser unit water for our tanks? My dad's office aircon condensation water is piped out to a pail which I need to empty every other day. When I tested it, TDS is zero and PH is 7. This will help the enviornment I guess?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Oliverpool View Post
    just to bring tis up again.

Do you guys think it is safe to use air con condenser unit water for our tanks? My dad's office aircon condensation water is piped out to a pail which I need to empty every other day. When I tested it, TDS is zero and PH is 7. This will help the enviornment I guess?
    depends on the piping and what you are using it for. if the piping is made out of copper and you use it for a shrimop tank you might kill your shrimps

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Ok dig thread. I would age my water and always use anti chlorine.
    My question is as our tanks gets bigger. We will end up using bigger containers to keep for aging....assuming 2ft tank. Means we need about 60L of aged water.
    How you guys manage and keep?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Bieffe View Post
    Ok dig thread. I would age my water and always use anti chlorine.
    My question is as our tanks gets bigger. We will end up using bigger containers to keep for aging....assuming 2ft tank. Means we need about 60L of aged water.
    How you guys manage and keep?
    If you are going to do large regular water changes and have sensitive livestock that need aged water, then just have to invest in large buckets, containers or barrels to keep the water. Those plastic jerry cans from hardware stores or supermarkets are useful for this purpose, they are quite space efficient too. Some even have tap spouts to dispense water.

In my case, i simply fill the required buckets of water a day before water change, dose de-chlorinator solution, then just let the buckets sit next the the tanks overnight, next day proceed to do water change.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Due to kids and MIL who anyhow. I won't leave open buckets about. Jerry cans seems alittle unsightly...my wife sure scold.
    I'm really scratching my head how to store water. My current 25L tank I need about 20L for each water change...I age water anything from 1day to 2 weeks.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Bieffe View Post
    Due to kids and MIL who anyhow. I won't leave open buckets about. Jerry cans seems alittle unsightly...my wife sure scold.
    I'm really scratching my head how to store water. My current 25L tank I need about 20L for each water change...I age water anything from 1day to 2 weeks.
    Thats true... with small kids around, have to use buckets with secure lids or place them higher on stools or shelves.

Jerry cans actually look quite okay, the plastic ones from hardware shops are opaque white color (not like those green jerry cans like during army times). Some of them even look like drinks dispenser too.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I do keep 2 x 2 Litres of Meiji milk bottles filled with tap water in my room as "Aged" water for topping up only, as my usual weekly water change regime for 4 tanks is more than 10 litres already.

Usually will still add in tap water conditioner before i pour into the tanks.

As i prefer to do water change at night as the water will be "cooler" for the livestock, learned my lesson not to do water change in the hot afternoon as the tap is literally a water heater in disguise, caused shrimps to die.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast