Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: best filter for 2ft planted tank anyone?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

best filter for 2ft planted tank anyone?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    wats the best type of filter for my two feet planted tank any suggestion?cheap,realiable and good?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: best filter for 2ft planted tank anyone?

Some use AquaBoy but did not like the flow rate. Others can use Hydor Crystal but you have to select the appropriate model (Aqua Star Trading/Y618/Chong Pang whichever nearer), R05 should suffice but depends how much flow you want it to be.

Think what you want first. Internal or External. Then go to the LFS with your tank dimension and discuss with the shop keepers, I am sure they would give you recommendations. Also look at the availability of the consumables, things like Bio Rings, Gravels, sponges for external filters and replaceable sponges, filters for internals one.

If it is good, usually it is not that cheap

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ScorpionX86 View Post
    wats the best type of filter for my two feet planted tank any suggestion?cheap,realiable and good?
    cheap: those jeboa, jebo, etc, do a decent job.

reliable: eheim (silent as well)

good: most filters do their job.

see your budget, and decide

jebo filter can be 1/5 price of eheim filter, and the latter is 1/5 price of ada filter
    the above are for cannister filter

i used jebo 865 ( if i remember) on 2 feet,
    i also used eheim 2026 on a 2 feet.

or can have an overhead filter (if you need to do maintainance often) (it's easier)

I would advise against going for undergravel filter, bla bla bla...

Cheers, Christophe
    ~ Ā q u ã O b s έ Ş Ş i ŏ ŋ ~
    Once you pop, You can't Stop
    http://aquaobsession.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

best and relizble = eheim, price wise not cheap but not the most expensive either. Many other brand have similar price as well. The most expensive is ADA, made from stainless stell

I use Jabo or Jebao before, does not last more than 1 year. Phase out all my filter to Eheim classic. I like the clasic model because its construction is very simple make it very reliable.

When your job is some thing related to many moving mechanical part, you will realise than more part means less reliable.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

For relatively cheap filters i would recommend you look at atman cf600. I'm using atman filters for 2 years now with no leakage. They are not as silent as the eheim ecco that i'm using but for that price, i won't think too much about it.

Just aim for flow rate more than 5 times your tank's volume and get the one that fits your budget. I'm using ecco 2236 600L/hr for my 2x1x1ft tank.

My 2 cents

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

lol..okay the guys are talking you into external filters. Yes, external filters do a good job in terms of filtering.

Jebo is copying the design of eheim but some slight modifications on the handle. Eheim is from Germany. I have gone for the Pro series. Take a look.
    http://www.eheim.de/eheim/inhalte/index.jsp?key=liniendetail_27523_ehen

The latest eheim is actually the Pro 3 electronic series. So people, time to upgrade, its not our time to talk 2026, 2028, 2032 anymore...heh heh. I think you guys will like this series as well. Very cool design.
    http://www.eheim.de/eheim/inhalte/index.jsp?key=liniendetail_28383_ehen

Now if you interested to look at Jebo.
    http://www.jeboaquarium.com/Aquarium%20External%20Filters.htm

With External Filters, you might be interested with Water Skimmers which cleans the surface of the water and CO2 diffuser which also have an inlet for CO2 injection.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Internal ones will do their job but tends to cloud the water when you need to do your maintenance.

So taking Jebo as an example, you will see on the market most of the filters would more or less look like these:
    http://www.jeboaquarium.com/Internal%20Filters.htm

The sponge would be full of fish poo poo by the time you remove them from the filter. Just squeeze the sponge into the toilet bowl and use a spray gun to spray the sponge on the hand for cleaning.

Internal filters are cheaper, but yucky during maintenance. Again we are talking about pocket here. So go for the maximum one that your pocket allows you to have for current. You can always aim the higher one later.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Go for eheim classic 2213.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Blue whale, why why did you have to put the link on the eheim filter Pro3 series...
    Haha, but still happy with my 2026 and 2028*2 and eheim hangon
    ~ Ā q u ã O b s έ Ş Ş i ŏ ŋ ~
    Once you pop, You can't Stop
    http://aquaobsession.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Ha ha...told you, you all will love it. AquaObsession, now there is something for you to be obsess about. I know you like the layered filteration portion ^______^ ha ha ha....it's like the dream pc of 2010. Now the filter will keep popping your head. Then you look at your 2026 and 2028, you think: maybe it is high time to try something new. To look for an excuse to upgrade, find the finest crack, the loose handle lock and say to yourself. Hey! I need a new eheim! lol....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Agree with Benzo, go for ehiem 2213, been using it and no regrets, very reliable and just nice for a 2ft tank.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Many alternatives:

Eheim 2213, 2222
    Eden 501
    Hydor Prime 10
    Tetra EX60/EX75 (same with the GEX canister I think)
    Fluval 105/205

These are canisters but all have their pros and cons, like the Eden 501 (small, compact, silent but requires to be placed at the same level as the tank) which is meant for tanks with low bio-load, but perfectly suitable for small fishes like a school of Boraras in a 2ft tank. There are other options like what others have mentioned, like ADA, but the price is ridiculously expensive. The Atman/Jebo/Jebao China-made filters can be considered if you are on a tight budget, but why not spend a little more and buy Eheim or one of the other filters.

Alternatively, HOFs like the Eheim Liberty are adequate for a 2 ft tank. You can add in another if necessary, or just go with a canister filter.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Here are some of the examples:

1. Blue whale 2ft tank:
    Hydor R10 (int), super flow rate but tank is confirmed clean, w/o surface skimmer

2. Feide 2ft tank:
    Eheim 2222 (ext) w/ surface skimmer.

It is up to owner's preferences and budget end of the day.
    You could read more on 2ft setup in AquaScaping section. Might help you to make a decision better after you read them. Alternatively there is always the impluse buying ^o^Y to guide you.