I initially wanted to get some fishes for my daughter to watch but found myself hooked (poisoned) after reading online forums especially AQ. So last week, after much online research, went ahead to get myself a 2 ft tank. I just want to share my beginner’s experience and mistakes in setting up a planted tank.

1) Try to setup the aquarium in the day
My tank was delivered in the evening and I eagerly started work on it. But at night, the lights cast shadows and are often inadequate. So it become very hard to tie the moss to the wood (everything dark) and when I filled up the tank and some plants started floating, I could not see a thing to get it replanted.

2) Don’t be greedy!
Some bros in the forum are really generous and I got a huge bunch of flame moss at a token sum from one of the bros. As I was tying the moss to the driftwood, I realize I will have a lot left over so started to “plaster” the moss onto the wood and then just tie it. Some of the moss began rotting after a couple of days.

3) Fill some water before planting.
Was reading up on this. ADA manual recommends spraying water on substrate and plant. Some say fill water to 50%, some say fill water to 90%. I did the ADA way and found after pouring water that a lot of plants started floating and it was really hard to replant with the soil floating around limiting visibility. I personally think somewhere less than 50% water is good to ensure your plants are secured.

4) Make secure the plant decorations are secured.
I rested my driftwood on a rock and everything was fine even after water was filled up. Once I turn on my internal filter, the wood started tilting and collapse onto the ground messing everything up . So make sure everything is secured. Some people recommend sticking things you are putting together i.e. rock formation so that everything will stay in place.

So there, sharing my beginner’s mistake and how I think I will improve when I have to do it again! Experts advice always appreciated.