Singapore

Temperature achieved via fan

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Temperature achieved via fan

Hi to all,

It has been many many moons since I got back to planted tank. I'm currently having my old fan (appox 5" dia.) blowing on the water surface to aid cooling of my 3ft planted tank.

With a Dymax Digital thermometer, I'm having very cool temperature reading. I also have a backup glass thermometer stuck into 2inches of ADA soil.

Today's temperature reading came as a surprise...

Dymax : 25.0*
    Old school Glass: 26*

Have any one experience such good and cool temp using only fan? Please share you views...

Please pardon my ignorance...

Thanks!

Stoner

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Temperture

Yeap, my fan is 4.5" in diameter, blowing a 2ft. Time now is 11:43am. Bright and Sunny. Tank temp is 25.7C. At night expecting to drop further to 24.x C. Doing something like 3wpg at the moment. I have 3-5" of mixed soil (Gradient Slope), 18" in tank height.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Whale View Post
    Yeap, my fan is 4.5" in diameter, blowing a 2ft. Time now is 11:43am. Bright and Sunny. Tank temp is 25.7C. At night expecting to drop further to 24.x C. Doing something like 3wpg at the moment. I have 3-5" of mixed soil (Gradient Slope), 18" in tank height.
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply... good to know that you could drop the temp below 25*...

I guess my temp increase of 1+* compared to yours is mainly due to the water volume...

Care to advise the amount of water that you'll have to top up in 24hrs...?

Mine is about 1.5 - 3liters a day for my 3x1.5x1.5ft tank...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

it depend on the surounding temperature. In general it can drop 2 to 3 degree.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Shadow is correct, my house is beside Gambas forest, hence the more greenies you have around you, the lower the temperature. Some people who live at the lower stories of HDB get shades from Big Full grown trees, hence will get the temperature lowering effect also. It also mean your living room have to switch on the lights during day time, because it is too dark.

As I encourage water evaporation in the process, usually I don't top up until the next water change cycle. It can be a weekly regime depending on how frequent you can spare time to change the water. If you are tired from work everyday, most likely to see you rest more than to tend to the tank.

My 1ft and 2ft are currently live, if I need to top up water, roughly about 1 mug w/o dechlorination process. The water added get neutralised once it enters the tank and mingle with the tank water. Of course you can buy cheap cheap water treatment stuffs. For me, I usually go for Nutrafin Aqua Plus. I want to try my hand on Biomass water guard the next round to see how is it. Chloramine is the one you want to neutralise. My last 3 ft required 3 mugs or so, I can't tell you in terms of measurement.

What I can tell you is, use a marker to mark the side of the tank of your ideal level. When you come home everyday, look at the marker. Just top it up to that level will suffice, so you don't have to measure against Litre since day to day temperature can defer as monsoon season shifting.
    Last edited by Blue Whale; 17th Jan 2010 at 18:20.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Fan does work, with out the fan i will get a reading of 28~30c (Dymas Thermometer Glass-type), warm.. with a Dymax-Fan i can drop to like 25~27c or so.. but water level drop a lot after a day or two, top up about 3liter of water every 2day(water after aging)..
    20+10 Gallon Tank Link | Light55w(PL) and Light13w(PL) | Normal Filter800L/per.hr | 3xDriftwood

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Wil,
    I think the fan is in direct path with your AquaBoy. You can either shift the fan a abit or adjust the angle of the fan to moderate the evaporation rate. AquaBoy I suggest don't move it, or it will disturb your current scape.

If you get tired of aging water, start researching RO water...heh heh.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Lol, is ok i think, keep two soda bottle (1.5liter) of aged water is easy, just put in my room for 2 or more day will do never dose any dechlorination. will use them if i need to
    20+10 Gallon Tank Link | Light55w(PL) and Light13w(PL) | Normal Filter800L/per.hr | 3xDriftwood

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Fan does drop the tank temperature, please monitor your water level as this is the trade off.