Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

SAEs mating

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, I just observed my SAEs trying to mate for the past 30 minutes (with others including my catfish trying to get into the action) today before I gave up to do other things. As they are in a community tank with all types of loaches, I'm concerned if their eggs would get eaten up by the others. Are there any ways I can help, ie. provide spawning 'facilities' for the SAEs to increase the survival of the young?
    Corydoras - Sterbai, Leopard, Bronze, Albino, Pepper, Similis, Pygmaeus, Habrosus, Hastatus, Tail-Spot
    Loaches - Clown, Red-Tailed Squirrel, Yoyo, Zodiac, Crimson, Banded/Spotted Kuhli, Zebra, Blue Botia, Kubotai
    Others - L181, C/S/GAEs, Otos, Dwarf/Thai/Honey Gouramis, Spotted/Smiling Cat, Shark Cat, Percula Clown (SW), Cinnamon Anemonefish (SW)...
    Happy Shrimps - CRS, Sakura/RCS, Malayan, Yamato, Green Shrimps, Dancing Shrimp (SW)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: SAEs mating

did you see any eggs?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

In a tank with loaches, I doubt you can do anything to save any fry. Good question from Xianghao too, did you see any eggs? I do not recall seeing any information on the web about captive spawning of the SAE in an aquarium.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    In a tank with loaches, I doubt you can do anything to save any fry. Good question from Xianghao too, did you see any eggs? I do not recall seeing any information on the web about captive spawning of the SAE in an aquarium.
    Yup that's probably why I could not find anything on the web and had to ask around here. Will keep monitoring!
    Corydoras - Sterbai, Leopard, Bronze, Albino, Pepper, Similis, Pygmaeus, Habrosus, Hastatus, Tail-Spot
    Loaches - Clown, Red-Tailed Squirrel, Yoyo, Zodiac, Crimson, Banded/Spotted Kuhli, Zebra, Blue Botia, Kubotai
    Others - L181, C/S/GAEs, Otos, Dwarf/Thai/Honey Gouramis, Spotted/Smiling Cat, Shark Cat, Percula Clown (SW), Cinnamon Anemonefish (SW)...
    Happy Shrimps - CRS, Sakura/RCS, Malayan, Yamato, Green Shrimps, Dancing Shrimp (SW)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Depending on the size of the fry, if any, you should treat them like other fish fry with regards to feeding and housing the fry.

As for aiding them in increasing fry survival, short of catching out the adult SAE and placing them in a separate breeding tank, it would be difficult. I would think that these fish are egg-scatterers since they're not really bottom dwelling fish that sit in a spot for long. Perhaps you can try a breeding mop?

Observing how the pair breeds and how the female releases the eggs will help you out on this aspect. If they are egg depositors you can use the sinking or floating breeding mop or just a clump of moss near where you last saw them spawn, then remove the mop/moss after they're done breeding. Keep the loaches and other fish at bay and away from the spawning site by feeding them at another corner of the tank. Perhaps that might help.

Rather that taking out the SAE, might as well take out the eggs for hatching in a separate tank.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.