1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Pearling From plants

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    How To make Your plants in your aquarium pearling like those clip in youtube?i've seen a video hc pearls like crazy? Any tips from all the lao jiao out there?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Pearling From plants

the current flow in your tank does affects the pearling.. more movement, less pearling =)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

pearling happen if your rate of photosynthesis faster than the rate of O2 dissolve in the water to the point until water unable to dissolve more O2. To do that you need to increase the photosynthesis by adding more light also CO2 and nutrient to keep it running.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by madnugget View Post
    the current flow in your tank does affects the pearling.. more movement, less pearling =)

Why is this so?

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

i guess the movement of water will cause the O2 made by the plants to dissolve faster, hence lesser pearling. normally you will see pearling in deeper tanks as there are lesser water movement
    CRS - CRazy about Shrimps
    - Alan Phang -

You can't explain it simply, you don't understand it (well enough )..." - Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

get some riccia, easily pearl. If it is not, something wrong with your setup
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by NingNing View Post
    Why is this so?
    don't know how to explain but its proven! maybe what bro eviltrain explain is correct. initially i did not see any pearling too as i directed my rainbar towards the front = a lot of water movement. later unclerobin suggest me to turn of my filter and observe. soon immediately there was pearling! you can try it out..

right now i'm trying to get majority of my HC to pearl like riccia.. however only manage to get a few pearls at the leaves but continuous small bubbling

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

u grw hc..juz planted some.. but slow reaction.can share your experience wit that plant and how do u make it spread?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

You will not see pearling on the plants in higher current areas due to the fact that oxygen does not have the time to build up before it gets "blown away". Oxygen is not as soluble like CO2 and does not dissolve rapidly which is why you can see pearling if it has time to build up. You do not need to get high oxygen saturation in order to see pearling in the water.

Do not assume that lower current equals to better growth even though you get to see more pearling. In due time, the plants will pearl less as they will run out of nutrients and CO2 due to the lack of flow across the leaves. Remember that plants cannot chase after food like fish and needs water current to bring them "food".

Regards,
    Peter Gwee
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Peter, you are quite right. I used to achive pearling using external filter with a CO2 Dissolver. With my current 2 ft and internal filter I find very difficult to achive pearling, Except when I lower my water that is like 50%...ha. Anyway I will just make do with what I have for the time being until the next setup. The part where you mentioned the water flow, I feel this very much having encountering it before as well. Back then have to negate this flow using different positioning of the driftwood.

Scorpy, so fast you tried HC? Love to see some photos real soon. =)